SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An old-fashion, but perfectly valid way of copyrighting something is to put hard-copies and/or digital copies (like a CD) in an envelope and then mail it to yourself. When you receive them again, do not open them, just store them away.

Then, if someone takes your content, you can go to a lawyer and let them open one of the envelopes to prove it was yours. The letter will have an official government time stamp on the letter to prove when you did it.

As for protecting it online, my recommendation would be: don't.

If they copy it, it'll show up in a search engine. Just routinely google your content, if it shows up, tell them to take it down. If they don't, sue them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is of course quite true that there is no way to stop determined people from copying your content. There are minor deterrents that can be employed though, such as disabling right-click with javascript or overlaying the entire page with a transparent gif. I've even seen a script that blanks the source code when you click "view source" (though the authors had the bad taste to replace the source code with an irresponsible accusation of attempted copyright infringement and an empty threat to send your IP address to the government )

None of these tricks is capable of stopping anybody, but they might at least discourage some of the more casual content scrapers and send them looking for a softer target.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dez View Post
    Do all pdf programmes come with the facility of copy protection ? I can't seem to find that in my pdf nitro professional ?
    In NitroPDF Professional (v5, similar in v6, I'm sure), you can add security to your created PDF document by clicking on the Secure & Sign tab, followed by the Password Security icon. You can password protect the whole document, and/or restrict the ability of the user to perform certain actions, eg Copy the text.

All these security features can, of course, be overcome by people who really want to.

Paul

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
    If someone really wants it, they'll find a way to steal your content.
    Yep, that's always been the case - but it's possible to make it as hard as possible.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
    I've seen several PDFs archived by Google. But you can always use robots.txt to tell robots not to indes your PDFs.
    Can you give any examples ? I've not seen any.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Unit7285 View Post
    In NitroPDF Professional (v5, similar in v6, I'm sure), you can add security to your created PDF document by clicking on the Secure & Sign tab, followed by the Password Security icon. You can password protect the whole document, and/or restrict the ability of the user to perform certain actions, eg Copy the text.

All these security features can, of course, be overcome by people who really want to.

Paul
    Many thanks Paul, that's very useful. Would google/yahoo etc, still index the text on the pdf please ? Would add, that for this purpose, it wouldn't be password protected, but the ability to copy text for example, wouldn't be available.

SitePoint Guru Chroniclemaster1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedreamer View Post
    I think this goes back to the old saying - "if you don't want it copied - don't publish it". Not what you wanted to hear, but it's well nigh impossible protecting any web content.
    Yeah, if it's material which is that sensitive, it shouldn't be on a website. Contact publishers and agents and get it published. If it's possible for Internet Explorer can figure out what it says, you'd better believe that everyone else can get at it too.

The only other alternative I would see is a New York Times like solution. You have to pay for any article that's more than a week old or so. If you published it like that for a fee, then that might work. It's possible to use cloaking to allow bots in, but provide login only access to users. It's still a bit sketchy SEO, but, like I said, NYT and a number of places have been using this technique for years and Google is still spidering their cloaked content all this time. I believe Matt Cutts has even said something to the effect that "not all cloaking is evil" though Google has never provided any real definitions as to where the line between legitimate and black hat cloaking exactly lies.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of Earth Chronicle
    A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.

Grumpy Minimalist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samanime View Post
    An old-fashion, but perfectly valid way of copyrighting something is to put hard-copies and/or digital copies (like a CD) in an envelope and then mail it to yourself. When you receive them again, do not open them, just store them away.

Then, if someone takes your content, you can go to a lawyer and let them open one of the envelopes to prove it was yours. The letter will have an official government time stamp on the letter to prove when you did it.
    So basically all I need to do is send an empty, unsealed envelope to myself to get the official government seal. Now I just wait for somebody to publish some really awesome text content and get rich. Now I copy the text, put it on a CD and edit the digital timestamps, put it in the envelope and seal it, and then bring it to my lawyer with a plausible story about my life's work being stolen?

Do you have an example of somebody who has actually used this method and won a case successfully in court?

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Seems that paying a Notary Public the few dollars might be a good idea.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's an underlying problem here: humans are still better at reading and accessing text online than search engine spiders. So if you make something harder to copy, you'll make it harder for spiders before you make it harder for people.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And as for examples of indexed PDFs, try this search:

http://www.google.com.au/#q=Expertis...r+and+Security

The first result (for me anyway) is a PDF document. You can also just add
    Code:
    filetype:pdf
    to any search in Google to return only PDF results.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    golden rule... once published, you have no more control

SitePoint Enthusiast Atle Iversen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Summary: if you publish it on the net (in any form), it *can* be copied !

The only alternative is to only publish *parts* of it, focusing on the most important parts for the spiders, and then let people download a protected PDF from you.

But people will STILL be able to share it and copy it - and most people will probably not even bother to *try* to read your material if you try to protect it too much...

Publish it all in an easily accessible format to get as many readers as possible, and just add a copyright at the bottom in case it is mis-used...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, first of all, I'm fully aware, that if I put text into html code, that someone could then easily use that text in their website. Now, supposing, just supposing, that you've done many, many years researching something and then put those results on your website, and you wanted to make it as hard as possible for someone to copy that text, how would you do it, BUT, still have the text spiderable by bots please ?

Any help appreciated.

Dez.
    Don't even try. Someone said that the biggest flattery is through plagiarism. If your article or research becomes popular enough, they'll know who the original author is. If I were you, I'd do the opposite and provide links to PDF file or ms word, etc... Then water mark the document w/ your name on it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, first of all, I'm fully aware, that if I put text into html code, that someone could then easily use that text in their website. Now, supposing, just supposing, that you've done many, many years researching something and then put those results on your website, and you wanted to make it as hard as possible for someone to copy that text, how would you do it, BUT, still have the text spiderable by bots please ?

Any help appreciated.

Dez.
    Hello.

Meybe You can disable RIGHT button, example. Nepremičnine

Meybe You can use STYLES to disable TO SELECT TEXT, example Copy last text line

Meybe You can use JavaScript to decode encode text, search engine without decode encode.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks, the info is appreciated. Has anyone got any proof that googlebot searches through pdf's ?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello.

Np.
    Googlebot search document (doc, pdf...).

Example:
    StudioFACA

[PDF] Delovni koledar 2010 - StudioFACA Portal - [ Translate this page ]
    File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
    27. april. 25. junij. 1. november. Novo leto. Slo. kulturni praznik ...
    studiofaca.com/download/Storitve/.../Delovni_koledar_2010.pdf - Similar

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many thanks, the info is appreciated. Has anyone got any proof that googlebot searches through pdf's ?
    The huge number of PDFs that Google has indexed for words and phrases contained within them is pretty good proof.....

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by faca5 View Post
    Meybe You can disable RIGHT button, example. Nepremičnine

Meybe You can use STYLES to disable TO SELECT TEXT, example Copy last text line

Meybe You can use JavaScript to decode encode text, search engine without decode encode.
    None of those methods will stop people copying your content.

Anything that uses Javascript to "stop" copying can be got round very easily by disabling Javascript. Anything that uses Javascript to compile the page is inaccessible and will prevent the page appearing in search results - and won't stop people copying it.

You can't publish content on the web and prevent people from copying it. The more difficult you make it to copy, the more difficult you make it for people to use it at all, and the more likely it is that people will copy it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dez,
    Any reason why you wouldn't consider this previous suggestion at all?

Quote Originally Posted by spVince View Post
    Here's another idea for you which may be a little 'out-of-the-box' but would still achieve what you need, and may in fact be a better option.

Create an eBook from your research content, and put it onto Amazon.

This way you can still have all the keyword terms for spiders within the description, and let Amazon cover the security / copy protection side of things.

Amazon predicts that it will sell more e-books than paperbacks by the end of next year, so you could gain a few pennies in the process.
    Just curious that I may have misunderstood what you are trying to achive.
    Best wishes,

- Vincent

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, several ideas:

1. You could discourage people from selecting your text using a mouse by putting an absolutely positioned div over all of it. Would still be spiderable, wouldn't prevent select all though

2. You could disable right click in javascript, this would confuse a few people.

3. You could display different content to google, a plain pdf to google and an outlined version to everyone else. Bad idea for obvious reasons.

4. You could stick it behind a paywall.

IMO The only foolproof way is option 4, if your content is as valuable as you think people might just pay for it.

You could show different content to the

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you know google lunch google docs.google doc spider grab pdf file content easily.avoid pdf content from google only one solution that is robots.txt

enter:

user-agent:* disallow:/*.pdf$

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only method is to cloak the content and show it to search engines, expert exchange used to do this. Its illegal to search engines so dont do it.

A better solution is to sell your data via a purchaseable PDF or something and then show sample or excerpt data for the search engines and customers to see what your offering and then opt to buy it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, the other obvious way is to put it out there as much as possible, then people will know it's yours.

If your content is for promotion and you don't want to monetize it directly, I would do that. If you want to monetize it, then sell it as an ebook.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can see if your content has been published on the web with http://www.copyscape.com/