SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Can you still make good money with your website?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely not, man

2 3.77%
  • Not Really

8 15.09%
  • Yes

33 62.26%
  • More than ever!

10 18.87%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you still make good money over the Internet?

Hi guys!

Is it still possible to make good money over the Web?
    Have you noticed that people are less encline to use their credit card online than one or two years ago? (except maybe for the airfare business)

Do you personnally buy a lot of stuff online?

I would like your opinion.
    Ginie G.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    E-commerce is one aspect of the Internet that has never slowed. The amount of goods sold online increases by billions yearly, people are not less apt to give out their credit card information.

And even by advertising/affiliates you can still make good money. You just have to know what you're doing.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally do everthing online from paying most of my bills, maintaining my bank account, planning vacations and even shopping. If I had to guess over the last year, I would have spent over $10,000 online.

I have also make 100% of all my income over the Internet as well and it is continually increasing.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is definitely possible to earn a decent income via the internet. Have the right business model, proper business and marketing strategies, keep costs low and carve a niche for yourself and you can make good money.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The obvious answer is Yes! You definitely can make a great living via the Internet. Do I make online purchases? Well, yes. Scripts, web hosting, domain names, among several other website/master related accommodations. Do I purchase CD's, movies, and clothes off the Net? Not often but occasionally. But I am sure the non web savvy users make up for my lack of purchases. I mean Online shopping is convenient. Especially during the Holiday months. No lines, headaches, or hassles. I think with time the Internet's presence will only increase with time. And soon if not already establish itself as the number one way to shop. So I do not see how their could actually be a decrease in online purchases. Perhaps a result of the current economy?
    www.iHosts.com - Web Hosting Community w/prizes
    Reach 250 posts and receive a free domain registration!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some experience I gathered from my own sites:

1. One of the most important key is to sell something. Nothing beats having your own products/services whereby you control the margins etc.

2. Have multiple sources of income - don't depend on one revenue stream, diversify!

3. TRACK, track, track and test! Make sure you track results and test different copies and variables to find the winning combinations.

Hope these help!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm

This is true, you really have to know what you are doing today.

Actually, the beauty of it is that everyone who is making good money online right now, well almost everyone, is smart, calculating, and inventive. You have to be extremely careful in today's online economy because money doesn't just grow on trees.

I think the best advice I could give anyone is that there is NO substitute for hard work and dedication, including long hours, working nights and weekends, etc. The great thing, though, is once you get your sites working well, you should be able to make a lot of money on a little time.

I just took a three month vacation from online business pretty much, but my sites didn't! I still make like $700 in June, $650 in July, and looks like about $1,000+ in August (thanks to VinDieselWorld.com, hehe). What did I do during this time? Well, hung out with friends, watched movies, and did whatever else. Certainly didn't work for the money, though, but I did earlier! The time I put into my business many months ago paid off.

Also, I think one of the most advantageous aspects of today's economy is the low cost of running an online business! I don't know about all of you, but I used to pay a buttload in hosting costs through a smaller hosting company. I also had other ridiculous costs and one-time expenses just sapping my income. But thanks to RackShack's really cheap hosting and a few other shrewd moves, I've been able to cut costs so low that they are hardly an issue.

Back in January I made about $2,000 online, but I had expenses of about $1,100. I had $450 in hosting, I had $350 in newsletter hosting, then a few other more minor fees, and also I had to pay more than $100 in interest on a loan (that got me the business in the first place). Now here in August, I am enjoying my lowest costs since I first started online years ago. I cut my debt so my interest payment is about $66 instead of $108. My hosting is $105, my newsletter hasn't even been sent this month and therefore cost me $0 because the company owed me a credit before this month (overcharge on previous months). So basically my expenses were $175 or so.

There is still so much potential to make money online.

I bought VinDieselWorld.com in October, after the 9/11 tragedy had struck down our economy here in the U.S. and as the recession was well underway. I looked over the site, noticed it had no advertising on it, but excellent search engine rankings, and I contacted the Webmaster. He obviously wasn't a businessman because he first couldn't understand why I wanted his "rather crappy site" and second he immediately accepted my offer of $250. In the 10 months after I bought the site, I have made about $1,500 profit, maybe even $1,750, depends on how well August ends up doing. The site itself is easily worth $2,000 to $3,000. Where else are you going to turn $250 into about $4,000+ in a year? The stock market?! Haha, good luck on that! I'd rather buy Star Wars collectibles as investments than stocks. I've made 100% return on a few of my Star Wars collectibles, but my stocks have gone to hell. Haven't made anything on them.

I still love online business. Until there is something else where someone who has a limited amount of money (not in the hundreds of thousands) can make money when he SLEEPS (as we probably all do every day), I'm sticking with online business.
    Contact me about cheap hosting solutions!

Bruno Delepierre
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Amen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Hmm

Originally posted by JLBMedia
    This is true, you really have to know what you are doing today.

Actually, the beauty of it is that everyone who is making good money online right now, well almost everyone, is smart, calculating, and inventive. You have to be extremely careful in today's online economy because money doesn't just grow on trees.

I think the best advice I could give anyone is that there is NO substitute for hard work and dedication, including long hours, working nights and weekends, etc. The great thing, though, is once you get your sites working well, you should be able to make a lot of money on a little time.

I just took a three month vacation from online business pretty much, but my sites didn't! I still make like $700 in June, $650 in July, and looks like about $1,000+ in August (thanks to VinDieselWorld.com, hehe). What did I do during this time? Well, hung out with friends, watched movies, and did whatever else. Certainly didn't work for the money, though, but I did earlier! The time I put into my business many months ago paid off.

Also, I think one of the most advantageous aspects of today's economy is the low cost of running an online business! I don't know about all of you, but I used to pay a buttload in hosting costs through a smaller hosting company. I also had other ridiculous costs and one-time expenses just sapping my income. But thanks to RackShack's really cheap hosting and a few other shrewd moves, I've been able to cut costs so low that they are hardly an issue.

Back in January I made about $2,000 online, but I had expenses of about $1,100. I had $450 in hosting, I had $350 in newsletter hosting, then a few other more minor fees, and also I had to pay more than $100 in interest on a loan (that got me the business in the first place). Now here in August, I am enjoying my lowest costs since I first started online years ago. I cut my debt so my interest payment is about $66 instead of $108. My hosting is $105, my newsletter hasn't even been sent this month and therefore cost me $0 because the company owed me a credit before this month (overcharge on previous months). So basically my expenses were $175 or so.

There is still so much potential to make money online.

I bought VinDieselWorld.com in October, after the 9/11 tragedy had struck down our economy here in the U.S. and as the recession was well underway. I looked over the site, noticed it had no advertising on it, but excellent search engine rankings, and I contacted the Webmaster. He obviously wasn't a businessman because he first couldn't understand why I wanted his "rather crappy site" and second he immediately accepted my offer of $250. In the 10 months after I bought the site, I have made about $1,500 profit, maybe even $1,750, depends on how well August ends up doing. The site itself is easily worth $2,000 to $3,000. Where else are you going to turn $250 into about $4,000+ in a year? The stock market?! Haha, good luck on that! I'd rather buy Star Wars collectibles as investments than stocks. I've made 100% return on a few of my Star Wars collectibles, but my stocks have gone to hell. Haven't made anything on them.

I still love online business. Until there is something else where someone who has a limited amount of money (not in the hundreds of thousands) can make money when he SLEEPS (as we probably all do every day), I'm sticking with online business.
    that makes us 2...
    Our Sites: Arcade Muffin | Viefex

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Great Story JLB

Hey,

That's a great story JLB, thanks for sharing it.

I similarily am doing well with the internet and plan on quitting school soon to pursue it fully soon. Am I crazy? Maybe. But I know a few people that have quit school and are doing extremely well on the internet. College will only teach me how to become a good employee at a job, but I don't plan on ever becoming one. I actually soon want somebody else to do all this internet work for me and start pursuing other ventures so I don't need to work. I plan on retiring by the age of 25.

I also plan on moving out soon and have saved up quite a few thousand dollars as backup money. I don't plan on ever spending this money or using it to pay my rent, I want to spend the revenue generated from my businesses to pay all expenses and then reinvest the remaing amount back into the businesses.

- Tom of JokeFunny.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (yes)
    Many businesses have tons of information that is locked down in one location because they don't know how to efficiently and securely share it with all of their associates. Figure out which businesses have this problem, solve it for them and collect the bill .
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?