SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Dreamweaver 4 and MX

What is the difference between Dreamweaver 4 and Dreamweaver MX?

Is MX more for professionals? I read somewhere that MX "caters to professionals."

Also, does 4 contain the built-in tutorials that MX has?

Thanks,
    Carolyn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is essentially an upgrade and significant face-lift of DW 4. Here is a good review: http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/02/29/index4a.html

I highly-recommend it as DWMX is very slick and supports many languages. It integrates Homesite into it so you can use the coding interface if you prefer that.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I need to know, do all macromedia programs come with tutorials in the contents section? or only MX versions?

Carolyn

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver 4 , Fireworks 4, Flash 5 all certainly contain tutorials.
    The essential difference between DW 4 and DW MX is that MX contains all the tools necessary for developing Dynamic Websites ( that can connect to databases etc.) and is an more an upgrade of Dreamweaver Ultradev 4 rather than Dreamweaver 4

E M

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to admit it, but I don't know what a database is.

Actually I was thinking of getting DW3 for starters as it's all I can afford at the moment, then upgrading later. I hope DW3 has tutes? I'd be lost without them.

Carolyn

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Eamon Moriarty
    Dreamweaver 4 , Fireworks 4, Flash 5 all certainly contain tutorials.
    The essential difference between DW 4 and DW MX is that MX contains all the tools necessary for developing Dynamic Websites ( that can connect to databases etc.) and is an more an upgrade of Dreamweaver Ultradev 4 rather than Dreamweaver 4

E M
    Well aside from the facelift in DWMX, Ultradev 4 supports development of dynamic websites, I use it all the time for asp sites...

maybe one day when I'm willing to fork out the extra dough, I'll take a look at DWMX... for now ultra dev 4 does the job for me

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ronin: Iagree that DWMX differences are mainly cosmetic. However it's a pretty good facelift

Carolyn: If you are just starting web design you are probably better off steering clear of databases, interactivity etc.

A database is basically a collection of records which is searchable. It can contain thousands of records. Databases are widely used in web development and you encounter them every day. One of the commonest and simplest uses of databases on the web is in the verification of passwords.

If you register with a site you give Username and password details etc. This information is stored in a database. When you log on and enter your username and password this information is sent to the web server which checks the database to see if the information is valid. If it is, you are allowed to enter.

There are numerous other uses for databases. One of the commonest tools for creating databases is Microsoft Access.

I found web design very interesting but web development using ASP, databases is where it gets REALLY EXCITING!

E M

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >>Ronin: Iagree that DWMX differences are mainly cosmetic. However it's a pretty good facelift<<

There is really a lot of difference between DMX and previous versions. There are a load more hand coding features, support for more application servers, a complete rewrite of ColdFusion support, better integration with other MM products. Not to sound marketing, I am not on the Marketing team, but this is the biggest change in DW ever and I have been on the team since before the beginning. The cosmetic changes are the most obvious, but they are not the most important changes really.
    Matt Brown
    Dreamweaver Community Manager
    Macromedia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just about to add a comment saying the code colouring was poor compared to Homesite, no longer giving bold emphasis to my functions and variable names.

Fortunatly I decided to check preferences before posting a rant and making myself look stupid.

All round a good bit of kit, the added support for PHP is a nice touch (though auto completion tips for functions would be fantastic).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got DreamWeaver MX and it's great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded from Dreamweaver 3 to MX and it's excellent. For those of you who don't know, DW MX is the culmination of:

Macromedia Dreamweaver UltraDev
    &
    Macromedia Homesite
    +
    Some extra features

Dreamweaver 3 is basically out of date. Also remember that normal DW versions (Not UltraDev or MX) do not support server-side languages, meaning their editing of anything besides HTML isn't very good. And they're still writing code that has been replaced by bigger and better things. Go for MX if you can.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mbrown@macromed
    >>Ronin: Iagree that DWMX differences are mainly cosmetic. However it's a pretty good facelift<<

There is really a lot of difference between DMX and previous versions. There are a load more hand coding features, support for more application servers, a complete rewrite of ColdFusion support, better integration with other MM products. Not to sound marketing, I am not on the Marketing team, but this is the biggest change in DW ever and I have been on the team since before the beginning. The cosmetic changes are the most obvious, but they are not the most important changes really.

<-- Confirmation of the above from non-MM staff

I too would be inclined to go with MX. But for purely static pages 3 is fine, and yes it does have tutorials. The "standsrds" support is no where nesr as good as MX, but you can "tweak" it yourself to make it compliant (as I did when running 3).

Sounds like your first port of call should be thoroughly learning what it is that DW does though, ie the code. To this end, check out the html/xhtml/css tutorials at Sitepoint, or at www.w3scools.com . Getting to grips with these is essential before shelling out any cash
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Web-coding NINJA! silver trophy beetle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using MX for about 6 weeks now, when before I had been using UltraDev 4. Beyond the cosmetic changes, there are dozens of little tiny features/fixes that MM added that were in the past, annoyances with DW4. Fantastic! The new MX workspace is great, but will make you want a bigger monitor.

*Now if they could just put in some of my favorite Textpad features in, It'd be d*mn near perfect.

One of the advantage of MX vs text editors (like textpad and editplus) is that is acutally understands code syntax (like PHP) for the coloring, instead of just coloring keywords. Much better.

And, if you set your DOCTYPE to XHTML strict, MX sees this and adapts, so when you hit shift+enter it puts in break tags properly, <br /> and not the regular <br>

Add even more references than 4 or 3 had.

Overall, two thumbs up!
    beetle a.k.a. Peter Bailey
    blogs: php | prophp | security | design | zen | software
    refs: dhtml | gecko | prototype | phpdocs | unicode | charsets
    tools: ide | ftp | regex | ffdev