SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legit Newsletter + Spam Filters

Anyone here have any tips on getting around spam filters such as hotmail, yahoo, etc. for a legit newsletter sent out to 1000s of members? It seems that some emails are getting re-directed into the spam folder.
    http://www.realprizes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the TO: field shows the recipient's address, it should end up in INBOX.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hotmail, and all the other free e-mail providers may block your newsletter if it contains certain words in it.

What I would suggest is to create the newsletter, and test send it to a Hotmail address to see where it ends up. If it ends up in the Spam folder, revise it and remove any questionable words.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my understanding, the key element is the "To" field and the "BCC" field

Someone sending a personalized email is likely to have the recipient's address in the "TO" field and maybe a few addresses in the "CC" and "BCC" fields.

A spammer will have one address in the "TO" field and maybe over 600 addresses in the "BCC" field.

I After exceeding a certain amount of addresses in the "BCC" field, then your email will more likely be considered as spam and will not reach your recipients.

I don't remember exactly how many addresses you have to have in the "bcc" field--maybe 30 addresses or maybe 6 addresses--before you're considered a spammer and have your email discarded by spam filters.

There are scripts and software out there that will allow you to send email to your entire database and send each email with its recipientís address in the "to" field.

I hope this helped

Sheriff

PS: Could you help me with my question?
    http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=70441

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, thanks for the info, although I do already have a program that sends one email at a time to my whole database all in the TO: field, it seems that some is still getting sent to the spam folder. I always thought it had to do with something like a subject line that is similar to mulitple emails to their system or something like that. I even make the the subject and body different in each email by adding the member's name.
    http://www.realprizes.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, the BCC: line is removed from mail before it is sent through your relay. This means that the recipient, and the recipient's email client, have no way of knowing if anything was in the BCC: line when it was sent.

I think when Sheriff refers to the "BCC:" line he actually should be saying the "CC:" line. What he says is true for the "CC:" line, and everything else he says is right.

The spam filtering is a complex issue. But what Silverado4x4 is right - some clients, particularly web mail clients, filter junk mail based on certain keywords. Sometimes the keywords aren't what you would expect - they sound like innocent words.

Here's some info. Please read these three articles. The third article is of greater importance because it is actually from Microsoft:

http://www.ezine-tips.com/articles/c...20010816.shtml

http://www.ezine-tips.com/articles/c...20020501.shtml

http://office.microsoft.com/Assistan...ewfilters.aspx

These articles may be of interest to others who posted in this thread.
    Last edited by mmj; Aug 2, 2002 at 08:09.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth BlogTwitterContact me
    Neon Javascript FrameworkJokesAndroid stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by realprizes
    Hey guys, thanks for the info, although I do already have a program that sends one email at a time to my whole database all in the TO: field, it seems that some is still getting sent to the spam folder. I always thought it had to do with something like a subject line that is similar to mulitple emails to their system or something like that. I even make the the subject and body different in each email by adding the member's name.
    With Hotmail, the recipient can BLOCK all emails from you with a simple click of the button. That could be a reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they also test to see if messages are going to more than 20 people from the same person then automatically throw them into the spam folders. I'm not sure that there is any way around it, unless you send it from different addresses.
    Thanks...Chris
    ---
    Need Expert Advice? Go to AdviceTrader, where 1700+ advisors can
    bid on, or quote a price for, answering your questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rule of thumb is always to do a test mailing to check if the message is OK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by thinkfuture
    I think they also test to see if messages are going to more than 20 people from the same person then automatically throw them into the spam folders. I'm not sure that there is any way around it, unless you send it from different addresses.
    As I said above, there is no way for a recipient to know how many recipients the email was going to unless they are all in the To: or Cc: line. And it is common sense not to include any of the recipient's email addresses in to To: or Cc: line. Using the Bcc: line (or a more advanced mailing list software) ensures complete privacy.

Even if they did have access to other recipients' email addresses (for instance, the same ISP receives many of them), they wouldn't filter it because then they would be filtering all email newsletters. No ISP I know of does this; they may use either a blacklist (list of known spammers) or keywords (list of keywords to search for which may indicate spam) or both, or neither.

To keep off blacklists, you need to ensure that your list is opt-in and you can prove that somebody opted in (this can be very hard to do unfortunetly). To avoid keywords, start with the article links I posted above to find out what words you should avoid in your newsletter.
    Last edited by mmj; Aug 6, 2002 at 02:20.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth BlogTwitterContact me
    Neon Javascript FrameworkJokesAndroid stuff