SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spider issues if using Javascript to detect flash

Hi, I am creating a web site that displayes a flash movie the first time a visitor goes to the site. A cookie is set once the user has visited so they go straight to the content on subsequent visits.

Before displaying the movie, I have some Javascript code I would like to use to redirect the visitor to the main content if flash is not installed. If flash is installed, the movie will play, then they will be redirected to the content. I am using a function called MM_checkPlugin to do this.

My problem is, when search engine spiders crawl the page, the will most likely be redirected to the page to detect if flash is installed. I have doubts if they will execute the javascript to check if flash is installed, leaving them stranded on that page. Even if they do do read the javascript, how do most search engines handle flash movies?

Does anyone have any suggestions how I could still incorporate the first-time-visitor flash movie while not causing havock with search engine spiders?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books
    www.SQLServer2005Books.com - Reader-rated SQL Server 2005 Books

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Include a link from the Flash page to the content page, and the spiders should follow it. They won't follow the javascript.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,

I think I will end up doing that. I will probably drop the flash detecting javascript all together. Does anyone have any other opinions on using javascript to detect if flash is installed?
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books
    www.SQLServer2005Books.com - Reader-rated SQL Server 2005 Books

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not do the flash detection on your home page?

I did this for a company I used to work for, http://www.iwplanet.com, javascript detects flash and if it is installed it opens up a window for the flash movie to play in, then the movie is automatically closed. It also sets a cookie so that it should only play on your first visit.

There is no need to make a separate detection page, you can do it all on your index page.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums