SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Websafe Palette?

Hi Guys,
    when designed a webpage is it still worthwhile obeying the websafe palette, or is this just a relic now? Any views?

Thanks

Alicia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ignore it, personally.

But, I do test in 256 colors just to make sure things are all readable (like no dithering behind text). I figure, since I use CSS to style my content, I can pretty safely assume, with little exception, that most of the people who have 256 monitors also haven't updated their browsers to ones that understand CSS--their computers may not even be powerful enough to handle those browsers.

~~Ian

morphine for a wooden leg randem's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "web-safe pallette" was originally created at a time when most graphic design was done on Macintosh, and Windows was still not a well-equipped player on the Internet. In those days people actually cared about cross-browser support and such things.

Now, however, most people agree that Windows is the dominant OS, and most pages are viewed by Windows users, and probably designed in Windows. So these days, it's a lot simpler to take the arrogant approach of "screw everyone who's not using Windows... they don't count anyhow," in which case the web-safe colors mean nothing, and everyone just uses the Microsoft pallette.

Sadly, I must say, having owned a Macintosh, the colors ARE different. They're more vibrant, more alive. But it doesn't stop there... it's that way in Linux, too. Graphics simply look a little better in Linux. So you Windows people who think you are the only ones who count don't know what you're missing!
    ----Adopt-a-Sig----
    Your message here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to a more appropriate forum