SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation problem with Dmoz

I have run into a problem with Dmoz and am wondering if I could get some advice.

A woman contacted me asking me to design a website for her. She didn't like the way her previous hosting/design company had done her site, saw my work, and commissioned me to redesign the site for her, hosted on another ISP.

So that is completed and she is very happy with what I have done.

However, the previous website (the one she didn't like) is currently listed on Dmoz. In the last week I have submitted the new site on at least two occasions and have seen Dmoz come through the site, but they aren't listing it. The second time I submitted the site to them I asked them to replace the old site with this new one.

I fear they won't list the new one because, as far as content goes, it's exactly the same as the other site that is already on there, and because they may also think I'm illegitimate and just plagierized the original site without the woman's permission (or something like that).

What do I do?

Thank you,
    Carolyn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, I can't believe DMOZ went through your site that quickly, they can take months to do that

Anyway, the best thing to do is contact the DMOZ Editor. Some of them can be a real pain in the backside, but generally if you explain the problem, they'll listen.

OR

You can use the Update URL link which you will find on most pages, next to the Add URL link. I've used this myself recently with no result, but I happen to know the editor the category I'm in is a (insert random insult)!!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you placed a note at the old URL, pointing to the new one? Without it, the editor might believe the update request is from an unscrupulous competitor who's trying to steal your client's listing.
    ODP editor hildea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you have to get a re-list. Why not just swap the old site for the new site under the same URL?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Archbob. If people already know one address, why change it?

Perhaps the old site is not on its own domain. That is quite possible if an ISP created the page and hosted it for her.

If so, then use the "Update URL" feature on Dmoz.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not placing a new link and having 2 records indeed pointing to the same site? Use some other description to target wider audience.

DMOZ are not so slow as written above at least I am getting my site listed usually in few days. Probably it depends on the moderators
    Website Promotional Software PagePromoter 5

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason is that she doesn't want to have tell the company that created the first site that she doesn't like what they did and that she went with someone else. She doesn't want to hurt their feelings. But I'll mention the idea to her, anyway.

Carolyn

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hurt their feelings? Design is so subjective I doubt their feelings are going to be hurt. Especially if they've been paid for the work they've done :-)

You have to remember that some DMOZ editors have a lot of work to do and the slightest hint that a site might not be real is likely to be dismissed. An editor is unlikely to seek out legitimate reasons for why a site contains the same content as another site.

I think your best bet is to contact the category editor with an explanation and possibly an apology for the confusion. Use an e-mail address from the old domain to help prove that what you're saying is true.

Marios Alexandrou
    Web and Desktop Software Developer
    http://www.mariosalexandrou.com