SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLeN View Post
    I wouldn't report anything because I don't think there's anyone (or any agency) worth reporting anything to. Not NASA, not CSIRO. Not police. I report pictures I take to "YouTube viewers".
    I didn't ask you to "report" anything. I just asked if you sent your photos to NASA or teh CSIRO or any other authoritative agency that could verify whether the photos are genuine or not. Whether they can explain what the object is if they find the photos to be genuine is another issue.

I would be happy (though) to let a digital photo expert look at the pictures, not to "report the photos" - but to let people know that if anyone wants to analyze them, go right ahead. I don't care. They're not fake. All I am saying is that they would pass scrutiny by a photo expert, because not one of them is doctored. That was my point -- not that NASA's photo experts aren't good enough.
    In that case why are you saying you wouldn't send the photos to NASA or the CSIRO since you are implying that their photo experts are good enough?

Ok, well you go and do that.. As for me, I'll continue to take photos and not doctor them. Again, if anyone wants the originals to be put up to scrutiny - mum's the word.. They're not doctored.
    I wouldn't fabricate ufo photos and then publish them.
    I was just highlighting the fact that since it is very easy to create fabricated images containing an illusion of a ufo leads to many people being initially sceptical of any claims of photos displaying ufo's.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalon View Post
    I'm not saying that isn't a ufo, but I can say it would take me no more than 5 minutes to stick a "spaceship" on an image of the sky using Photoshop.
    There's a guy on Fiverr offering to do exactly that lol.

He'll put a spaceship in any photo you want.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, as I mentioned earlier it would take me no more than 5 minutes to stick a spaceship or anything else you like (even a pig ) on an image of the sky
    Why not use the 'roll eyes' when you mention the spaceship? Because you associate UFO with spaceships and this is the connection I'm trying to break here. UFO does not mean spaceship, the acronym may have become assosicated with them but it's an erroneous and innacurate association, let's not pander to it.

It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Why not use the 'roll eyes' when you mention the spaceship? Because you associate UFO with spaceships and this is the connection I'm trying to break here. UFO does not mean spaceship, the acronym may have become assosicated with them but it's an erroneous and innacurate association, let's not pander to it.

I haven't said anywhere in my posts that I associate ufo with only spaceships. Spaceships is just one possibility. I have posted previously that I am in the group who thinks the object in the OP's image could be anything.

I still haven't seen any proof that the alledged flying object was actually there when the photo was taken. Maybe it was and maybe it was added afterwards in some photo editing software - I don't know which.

But the onus of proof is not on readers like me to disprove the authenticity of the image because everyone is free to choose for themselves whether they believe the image is genuine or not in the absence of proof.

The onus of proof, assuming the people posting images of alledged ufo's want to be taken seriously, is on them to provide the proof that their images are authentic and not fabricated in any way.

Knowing how easy it is to fabricate images of "ufo's" I haven't seen anything that proves the alledged "ufo" was actually there when the photo of the sky was taken.

But I am open to inspecting any evidence the OP wishes to provide to support his/her claim their photo is genuine. In the mean time I'll reserve my right to believe the image is more likely to have been fabricated or there is some other natural explanation like "something on the lens","light reflection"," sun glare" etc etc etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    There's a guy on Fiverr offering to do exactly that lol.

He'll put a spaceship in any photo you want.
    How much is he charging?

I'll throw in a pig as well for free

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't said anywhere in my posts that I associate ufo with only spaceships.
    Why even mention spaceships then? You could have mentioned photoshopping anything at all into the photo but you specifically mentioned a spaceship.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <!--start of rant-->

I get sick and tired of these kinds of conversations being taken into never ending squabbles and that's where this thread is going to go if I don't say this:

1). I am not saying aliens are coming to get anyone. I never even mentioned aliens. Don't even want to discuss that. Not interested.

2). I don't believe in aliens and I certainly don't think they're coming from a place far away in tin buckets.

3). I DO believe that there's "something" zipping around our skies, but I can think of at least 10 possible reasons for that - and aliens aren't high on the list. As a matter of fact, they probably wouldn't be in the top 10.

4). I would prefer the conversation go into the direction of: "lets try to dicuss ways of verifying photos", "lets try and work out if there's something weird in the skies, and if so, what?", "lets discuss statements on their merit".

..discussion like: "Ah yeah all the alien photos are fake", "Ah yeah, lets make fun and mockery because someone said UFO", "Ah yeah lets just argue about whether aliens exist" .. it's not even on my list of thoughts. When I saw conversations go that way, it just irritates me.

I can't even be bothered talking about whether something is fake or not. I am perfectly well awatre there are fake artists all over the Internet. We all know that. It's just a given. No point stating the obvious. Even less point dwelling on it.

Can we have one thread on the Internet where a topic on UFO's doesn't become a big squabble about 9 foot reptillians or pleaideans? If so, this will be one of the first.

I just want to discuss things that are floatinga round our skies. I take photos to see if I can find weird stuff, and I do find weird stuff. Yes I could be faking them, but I say that I am not. Yes, you can assert that I am -- and if you want to do that, fine, but once is enough. After that, lets move on.

I concur. What I have in that photos certainly could be anything. But the thing is, I have thousands of photos, where when you looka t them as a whole, it looks more and more unlikely that I am taking thousands of pictures of dust paricles and water dropplets that just so happen to be "glowing", "shaped like triangles", "shaped like saucers".. and various other phenomena that leave me, personally, lost for ideas on what could be in the photos.

All I can say is:
    a). I am fairly good at photography. Yes an ammateur, but an ammateur that's been taking photos daioly for many years.

b). I know whether something is close or not, simply by the settings I used on the camera. Things that are close do not show up on a camera that's on maximum focus. If there's ANY clarity, it's at LEAST above tree top height, and if it's visible and clear it's certainly not a bird, bat or dust. I can show people pictures of birds bat and dust if they want. They're all big see through smudges across the photo taking up 3/4 of 12 megapixels.

<!--End of Rant-->

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Today I took a photo of a UFO over Mia Mia.

What do you think?
    i think it looks like a spaceship from uranus
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I give up..

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @MrLeN: As with everything in life, people have the right to choose what they want to believe and they can be skeptic if they want. You shouldn't take it personal.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any problem with people believing what they like. I don't believe I have stated anything as such, either.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No, you haven't. But I have the impression that you're trying to get everyone to agree with you and accept that your photo is real to the point of checking the picture itself to verify it.

Your offer is very nice but nobody will take the time to do that, even if they had the expertise to do so. Simply, there will always someone that will question your reasons and believe that you used photoshop.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    As I remember from back in the old "UFO craze" days, the usual explanation was that UFOs were IFOed as weather balloons.

Does the meteorlogical service still use that technology? Seems doppler radar would have replaced it by now.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    No, you haven't. But I have the impression that you're trying to get everyone to agree with you and accept that your photo is real to the point of checking the picture itself to verify it.
    No, I actually stated that a valid response would be: "It could be anything". I think you're just bored looking for someone to start on.

Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    Your offer is very nice but nobody will take the time to do that, even if they had the expertise to do so. Simply, there will always someone that will question your reasons and believe that you used photoshop.
    Your second paragraphis invalidated by my response to your first paragraph.

Now, if anyone wants to carry on a legitimate conversation, I'm all ears.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    As I remember from back in the old "UFO craze" days, the usual explanation was that UFOs were IFOed as weather balloons.

Does the meteorlogical service still use that technology? Seems doppler radar would have replaced it by now.
    Well, the UFO craze days are coming back -- which is why I am getting into it. I know that there's growing talk about "UFO's" on the media and on the news, and I think that there's some sort of movement growing. Basically, I am building a YouTube channel, attracting subscribers with photos, so that when I have enough subscribers I can declare to them all that there's no such thing as aliens. I wholeheartedly believe that there's some powerful people in this world who are asking the media to start perpetuating UFO's. The reason for this is to (by proxy, but not directly), insist that aliens created us and they're coming back to save us all from ourselves. I know that's entering into conspiracy territory, but conspiracy isn't a dirty word. It just has dirty connotations these days. A conspiracy is simply the planning or plotting of something (even ideas), In a way where others can't find out. And going by that definition, the world governments, shadow governments, installed governments and proxy governments and corporate elite are (I'm sure they'd agree), the biggest conspirators in the world. Anyway, I could keep typing, but I am sure 3/4 of what I just said will fly straight over most peoples heads (no pun intended).

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, that's why I need a better camera. So I can take closer photos. I have thousands and thousands of photos on my computers. Some of them are extremely good. I have flying disks and orbs right over my place. Pretty clear pictures too.
    If there was sufficient UFO activity that anybody could sight them regularly within the arc of sky visible from their normal location, and take large amounts of photos of phenomena, then it would hold true that considering the population of the earth, many millions of people would have similar opportunities.

Within those millions, 1000s would have access to high quality video or photographic equipment, and would have used such to record these phenomena. We would have many irrefutable, high resolution captures of UFO activity.

Except we don't.

UFO 'enthusiasts' only ever seem to have blurry low quality equipment. Perhaps they can't afford good kit because their condition precludes gainful employment, or perhaps large metal equipment isn't allowed in institutions where these enthusiasts conduct their 'research' from. Then again, perhaps they bought a DSLR with 1080p video and a zoom lens and found out they'd been taking photos of airliners, the ISS and sun dogs

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "What happens when Mr. UFO sees ISS"

Good example of irrational UFOlogy explained by science

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why even mention spaceships then? You could have mentioned photoshopping anything at all into the photo but you specifically mentioned a spaceship.
    I mentioned spaceships along with the fact I could stick anything else onto an image of the sky (including a "flying pig")

Let me refresh your memory - in post no. 23 I said

Again, as I mentioned earlier it would take me no more than 5 minutes to stick a spaceship or anything else you like (even a pig ) on an image of the sky to create an illusion that it is flying through the air when actually there was nothing flying there at all when the original image of the sky was taken.
    Personally, I don't believe the object in the OP's image was actually there in the sky when the photo of the sky was taken. I think people submitting photos of things like this forget that the onus of proof is on them to prove the photos are authentic and not fabricated in any way before anyone needs to even consider taking them seriously.

Given the OP clearly stated he was not prepared to send the photo to NASA to have the image scrutinised for authenticity lessens the probability, in my mind at least, that the photo is not fabricated.

When I asked the OP who he would consider a reputable photo expert to examine his photo I didn't see a reply. If I missed it, please refer me to the post number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mentioned spaceships
    Yes you did didn't you, I'm still trying to figure out why you did that if you don't associate UFOs with spaceships......

How long are you going to try and wriggle out of the fact that someone said UFO and you thought they meant spaceship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you did didn't you, I'm still trying to figure out why you did that if you don't associate UFOs with spaceships......

How long are you going to try and wriggle out of the fact that someone said UFO and you thought they meant spaceship.

What I said was:

Again, as I mentioned earlier it would take me no more than 5 minutes to stick a spaceship or anything else you like (even a pig ) on an image of the sky to create an illusion that it is flying through the air when actually there was nothing flying there at all when the original image of the sky was taken.
    I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Yes I mentioned spaceships but nowhere have I said it cannot also be something else.

I still haven't seen any proof that the object in the image was actually in the sky when the photo was taken. That object could be a spaceship and then it also could be a total fabrication, or something else like dirt on the lens, a reflection from somewhere, glare etc etc etc.

As I say in my quote above, images like that posted are very easy to fabricate.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the OP clearly stated he was not prepared to send the photo to NASA to have the image scrutinised for authenticity lessens the probability, in my mind at least, that the photo is not fabricated.
    Are you ok? I said I am. Then you said, no you aren't. Then I said no, you misunderstood, I am, and here's why. Now you're saying I am not again. I've concluded that there's not much point providing you with thoughtful answers. I will explain one last time and this is the last time I'll respond to you personally. 1). I do not report UFO's to any government or agency because I don't see a point and I have contention with the fact that people think these agencies are authorities authorities. I don't! I think ost of them are a born pack of liars -- which is why the world need people like me, to find out what they're doing. 2). However, if they want to analyze my photos, I don't care. I'll send them with a gold ribbon around the enveloper! You didn't understand again, did you? Your response will; be emphatic that you understand, but then in three posts, you will say I am unwilling to put the photos up to scrutiny. *sigh*.. Why am I typing?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, how long?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post
    If there was sufficient UFO activity that anybody could sight them regularly within the arc of sky visible from their normal location, and take large amounts of photos of phenomena, then it would hold true that considering the population of the earth, many millions of people would have similar opportunities.

Within those millions, 1000s would have access to high quality video or photographic equipment, and would have used such to record these phenomena. We would have many irrefutable, high resolution captures of UFO activity.

Except we don't.

UFO 'enthusiasts' only ever seem to have blurry low quality equipment. Perhaps they can't afford good kit because their condition precludes gainful employment, or perhaps large metal equipment isn't allowed in institutions where these enthusiasts conduct their 'research' from. Then again, perhaps they bought a DSLR with 1080p video and a zoom lens and found out they'd been taking photos of airliners, the ISS and sun dogs
    Ordinarily, I'd agree with everything you just said. However, I suspect that you're actually veiling the assertion that the type of person you're talking about is "me". So, let me go through this in that light.

1). I do not take photos from my normal position.

2). Yes I have some finance issues right now, but that's got nothing to do with being institutionalized, or being unable to gain employment. I actually make fairly good money, but holding onto it has been a problem of late, due to certain circumstances. However, I will soon have plenty more money because I am building another business

4). There's actually a good reason that I am taking these photos. Firstly I don't think they're aliens.

4). I am not haphazardly taking photos of anything I see floating in the sky. I have specific methods of obtaining the photos I have -- and yes, I do have thousands. Mainly because of these methods I use.

5). I am not a UFO nut searching for 9 foot reptilians. If anything, I am an aerial phenomenon nut searching for things that shouldn't be there. Why? Because I wholeheartedly believe (because I have reason to believe) that very soon the skies will be filled with such things. And when that happens, I'll be one of the first people to stand up and shout: "THEY'RE NOT FRICKIN' ALIENS!". And many people will listen to a guy that has thousands of photos. That helps give me credibility. Right now, I feel that I "know" certain things, but who's going to take my word? I need evidence.

6). My cameras aren't cheap. I've spend thousands of dollars on cameras. I just need better equipment, which is more specialized to cater for the methods I use to capture these phenomena. I need not thousands of dollars, I need many thousands. I don't have that right now. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with me or my ability to make an income. Doesn't mean I have a psychological deficit either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, how long?
    I thought I answered that very question in reply to the post where JJMcClure asked it.

But since you ask the same question again, I can only give the same answer.

What I said was:

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Yes I mentioned spaceships but nowhere have I said it cannot also be something else.

I still haven't seen any proof that the object in the image was actually in the sky when the photo was taken. That object could be a spaceship and then it also could be a total fabrication, or something else like dirt on the lens, a reflection from somewhere, glare etc etc etc.

As I say in my quote above, images like that posted are very easy to fabricate.