SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

number of keywords in meta tags?

Is there a criteria on the limit number of keywords which a web-page's meta tags should have?
    I mean, how many single words should I have in my homepage META keyword tag?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keywords in Body Text
    Have your Webmaster structure the text on your homepage around your one most important keyword phrase. Emphasize that main keyword phrase in the first paragraph and in your main and sub headlines.

Key Words in Text Links
    When creating textual links, try to make the link a keyword since the text within a link is sometimes weighed more heavily than words found in the regular body text.

Keywords in Alt Tags
    The alt tag defines the text to display for a graphic if the user has graphics turned off. Some search engines will look for keywords in the alt tags so it is good to have your Webmaster set the alt tags with keywords.

Keywords in Header Text
    Always opt for header content as opposed to a larger font when the text contains a keyword. Header content is considered more descriptive of what is actually on the page so it is weighed more heavily by the search engines.

Keyword Frequency
    Frequency is how often a keyword appears on the page or in an area on the page. Try to have your one primary keyword phrase appear a total of 5 to 15 times in all the visible areas of the page. This would include 1 time in the title area, 1 to 5 times in the body text area, 1 to 3 times in the link text area, 1 to 4 times in the alt text area, and 1 to 5 in the header text area.

GoodLuck

and here's some cool free tool's to help you along!

To test the value of your keyword density use this tool:

http://www.webjectives.com/keyword.htm

1. Type in your URL and the keyword or phrase you would like to check the density for.

2. Click the "analyze" button.

Now you need to know what sites are generating the best search engine rankings based on the keyword of your choice, compared to your site. To find out, we suggest you use this free analysis tool:

http://www.ixquick.com/

Now return to the keyword density analyzer noted above to review the keyword density of a site that scored well on IxQuick. Your final step is to view the source of the site that scored higher than you to determine steps you can take to mimic its properties

SitePoint Enthusiast Sharon & Roy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just Use A 3-Word Phrase - Only Inktomi Uses The Meta Keywords Tag

Originally posted by tabsquare

Is there a criteria on the limit number of keywords which a web-page's meta tags should have?

I mean, how many single words should I have in my homepage META keyword tag?
    Hello tabsquare,

You are aware that the Meta Keywords Tag is WORTHLESS, right?

Just Inktomi still uses it. Use just a 3-word phrase (unique to EACH page).

The more words you use the less weight they will have in ranking consideration.

And a quick check shows that only your Home Page is currently listed in Inktomi ...

http://search.positiontech.com/searc...scripthost.com

We recommend that you change this ...

<title>[Remotely Hosted Scripts]MyScriptHost</title>

<META Name="Keywords" Content="remotely, host, free, hosted, cgi, asp, php, script, scripts, remote, news, post, posting, whois, query, database ">

... To this ...

<title>Remotely Hosted Scripts MyScriptHost</title>

<META Name="Keywords" Content="remotely hosted scripts">

EACH page must have its OWN unique HTML Title Tag and Meta Tags.

You are currently ranked at #8 for the "pure" Inktomi results ...

http://search.positiontech.com/searc...sted%20scripts

You are not listed in the Top 30 at Hotbot.com

But you are #12 at Hotbot.Lycos.co.uk

Just work on acquiring LOTS of links to your Home Page from RELATED pages and sites and make sure that your keywords are in the Anchor Tag Text.
    Call For A FREE 1 Hour SEO Consultation 760-378-2539 (Pacific)
    Want To Learn All About Search Engine Optimization? We Teach A 6
    Week Online SEO Class - There Is So Much More To SEO Than Just
    Meta Tags ::: http://www.iwon.net/seo/class-description/

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand. I read different articles recently since I never promoted a website. At least not through search engines. Well, I now undertsand how hard it is to keep track of all the changes that SE perform on their ranking criteria and to build a web page which can be ranked well in the biggest search engines.

I think I now have a basic idea on how to create a SE friendly page and I probably can start re-writing my tags. I will try to figure out what are the best keywords to repeat into my website with time. I will follow your suggestions and hopefully that will help.

Thank you very much

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Seems that in your case placing links in the suitable directories will bring more results than search engines positioning
    Website Promotional Software PagePromoter 5

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thinks so too...since the keywords I can use are really not popular. However, I am already listed in many different directories, and I'm quite disappointed on the amount of traffic they generate. I'll probably have to pay for advertising once I refine my site...