User Tag List

Thread: Debugging asp

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debugging asp

I have this huge asp page and i was doing some modifications. I was confident that things will work fine - then suddenly when testing I started getting Internal Server Error 500.
    Checked my codes several times - could not trace it.
    Is there any faster way I can find it?
    Thanks.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n.huda View Post
    I have this huge asp page and i was doing some modifications. I was confident that things will work fine - then suddenly when testing I started getting Internal Server Error 500.
    Checked my codes several times - could not trace it.
    Is there any faster way I can find it?
    Thanks.
    Are you getting any further information than 500 error?

ASP is usually a bit more generous with it's error reporting, often citing an error code and a line number.
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, for things like this - you don't get anything other than that error message.
    It was an extra comma in a statement.
    That makes debugging so painful. I was just wondering if anybody came up with a magic tool to debug asp. Probably it's too late...for an obsolete technology.
    Hope we can soon convert more pages to .net and be happier.
    Thanks.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, you nailed it.... It hasn't been officially supported for about almost a decade so there isn't much you can do.

A syntax error like that should have been reported though and it could be that your browser didn't give you the full message... I found some time ago that depending on the browser I was using, I could glean more information from the error page. I can't recall the circumstances exactly but I think IE would give me more information and FF would just tell me an error occurred or maybe vice-versa but the bottom line is that ASP should have told you where that syntax error was. It's actually pretty dependable with those sorts of things.

For regular debugging I add my own debugging code inline, which I comment out unless I need them. For instance, if I'm looking at a possible problem area, I'll add a statement to spit out the variables or objects I'm using and their values.

For database issues I use on error resume next and assign a useful message indicating that a problem occurred, the error was X and the SQL statement = Y.
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also if you're using IE check that the "show friendly http errors" setting is off. And if it's your IIS server you could check the web server error reporting settings, it's possible the server is configured to decline to send error information.
    Doug G
    =====
    "If you ain't the lead dog, the view is always the same - Anon