SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

referring to a clustered instance of SQL server

If you have a 2 machine cluster both running instances of SQL server. how do you access the server in order to connect to the database?

what is the notation, or syntax?
    do you refer to it as [virtual michine name]\[instance name]

or what?

anyone have experience with clusters?
    Spartan
    ---------------------
    It's like our sergeant told us before one trip into the jungle. Men! Fifty of you are leaving on a mission. Twenty-five of you ain't coming back.
    -Mr.Payne

The doctor is in... silver trophy MarcusJT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no prior experience with this myself, but I have managed to track down this page, which is the biggest SQL Server clustering resource page I could find!
    http://www.sql-server-performance.co..._resources.asp
    Hopefully it should be of some use to you...!
    MarcusJT
    - former ASP web developer / former SPF "ASP Guru"
    - *very* old blog with some useful ASP code

- Please think, Google, and search these forums before posting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanx M@rco.

Its a odd problem that we're having... For some reason, when connecting to a cluster, the user that the script is executing as, on the file server, needs more rights that it needed to executed the same script when it was connecting to a non-clustered DB.

dunno why? but the same script used to run just fine under the local IUSER account on the server. But now it fails. as soon as we un the script as the administrator (who has domain rights) the script works.

So what I'm trying to figure out is... what exactly does this user need, what is the minimum requirements in terms of rights and access...

I'll be going throught the link you posted in a second. it seems like a very good resource to have.

thanx again.

cheers
    Last edited by spartan; Jul 31, 2002 at 22:58.
    Spartan
    ---------------------
    It's like our sergeant told us before one trip into the jungle. Men! Fifty of you are leaving on a mission. Twenty-five of you ain't coming back.
    -Mr.Payne

The doctor is in... silver trophy MarcusJT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does indeed seem an odd problem! I would have assumed that a clustered server should be accessed as if it were a single server (I understood that clustering was designed to be more or less invisible in use), but that is clearly not the case.

Good luck, and let me know what you find out (just in case...!)
    MarcusJT
    - former ASP web developer / former SPF "ASP Guru"
    - *very* old blog with some useful ASP code

- Please think, Google, and search these forums before posting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, clusters work a little differently thaN I would have expected... MS clusters anyway. Unix clusters, as far as I can tell are a little more... hmmm... 'logical'... there you would just talk to the cluster as if it is one machine. you never refer to any of the machines in the cluster.

In our case though its not that simple. We have a 2 machine cluster... For this you need to have 5 names and Ip addresses

One for each virtual machine(each of the two machines), then one for each instance of SQL(one on each server) and then one for the cluster as a whole... But you never use that one...

then when accessing the DB you would use the following notation when specifying the server name... virtual_machine\Intance_of_SQL

something like webSQL1\WebintraSQL.

then if one of the servers fall over. the cluster management tool would automaticaly move the ip's and names of both the machine and the SQL instance of the 'dead' server, over to the other (live) machine. So you would still have 5 names, BUT only one server. so all calls to any one of the servers would go to the one active server(that server now has 4 IPs and 4 names)
    Last edited by spartan; Aug 1, 2002 at 00:22.
    Spartan
    ---------------------
    -Mr.Payne