SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to make your site pay for itself?

Hello,

I'm starting a new site pretty soon that I hope will be popular. I figured the start-up costs for everyhthing will be about $200 (software + hosting + domain name). I'm wondering though, how hard is it to make my site "pay for itself" after getting some decent traffic. In this I mean, is it hard to make enough money on advertising that I can pay for the hosting and annual costs of the software. I'm thinking it will be about $150 a year.

How do you feel about your site? Do you fork out your own money to keep it going or have you gotten it to the point where it can run off its own profits?

Any tips or comments are welcome!

- Casey

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your best bet is to sell subscriptions to content, special reports, an eBook, or perhaps resell something through an affiliate program that earns you a high commission (30-50%) and that would be in high-demand among your target market.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep as Matt said.

Advertising knida sucks right now, but if you have a niche audience and you get a lot of traffic you can make it pay for itself via advertising normally.

If not selling products/services/content etc.
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in a similar situation. I have a niche hobby site with nothing for sale. I don't get a lot of traffic, but I have had people email me, asking to buy products, or asking where to buy products.

Am thinking of soliciting six advertisers to have a banner ad @ $30 a year, just enought to cover the webhosting and domain name costs.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sites have run off profits for awhile now. I now make back over 2,000% of my operating costs in revenue.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. These are great tips. I'll have to try and implement some of them once I get some good traffic to my site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve had a couple of different website that I lost money on, but they were all a learning experience. Iíve definitely learned that you really have to give the website some serious thought before starting it. For example, is there lots of competition, is there a demand.

I think I finally found a winner with SimpleCash.biz, but time will tell.

As far as advertising, getting as many reciprocal links from similar websites is, in my opinion, the best free advertising.
    FREE home-based job opportunity. Company has
    been in business for 15+ years and is a member of
    the BBB. Check it out at SimpleCash.biz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to make your site pay for itself?

Originally posted by caser85
    Hello,

I'm starting a new site pretty soon that I hope will be popular. I figured the start-up costs for everyhthing will be about $200 (software + hosting + domain name). I'm wondering though, how hard is it to make my site "pay for itself" after getting some decent traffic. In this I mean, is it hard to make enough money on advertising that I can pay for the hosting and annual costs of the software. I'm thinking it will be about $150 a year.
    - Casey
    It depends alot on what's your site's theme, industry or topic. Some niches are way more profitable than others. The key is to be in a niche sector which pays off well - and to have multiple sources of income eg. ads, affiliate commissions, product sales, etc.