SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 76
  1. #51
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've given up on following SEO trends.

    There's so much hearsay in there and just, plain, bad advice cluttering the place; It's just not worth it to sort through.

    I stick with just a solid strategy of offering good content with proper <h1> and <title> info. Set outgoing links to nofollow. And that's all I've been doing for the past three years.

    Works for me.

    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

    Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

  2. #52
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @cybernac - Does this method of linking sit well with your friends? Do you see many benefits? Is content a factor for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    I've given up on following SEO trends.

    There's so much hearsay in there and just, plain, bad advice cluttering the place; It's just not worth it to sort through.

    I stick with just a solid strategy of offering good content with proper <h1> and <title> info. Set outgoing links to nofollow. And that's all I've been doing for the past three years.

    Works for me.

    That's fair enough, but would you link to a friend or family purely because of their connection to you, as a favour let's say? A helping hand?

  3. #53
    Headed Home! KM Richards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    I'm right Here!
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy View Post
    we all get jealous....

    No, that's not true at all. Maybe for you, but not for me.

    Anytime I see someone who is very successful, I'm encouraged for growth in my own success because I know that guy is no better than myself and every morning he puts his britches on one leg at a time like all the rest of us.

  4. #54
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KM Richards View Post
    No, that's not true at all. Maybe for you, but not for me.

    Anytime I see someone who is very successful, I'm encouraged for growth in my own success because I know that guy is no better than myself and every morning he puts his britches on one leg at a time like all the rest of us.

    britches, jeeze haven't heard that one in a long time! Yes you are right to pick me up on that one, it is a generalisation - I guess I was talking more in terms of "people" can get jealous regardless of their affiliations etc. There wasn't anything personal about it although I believe I do have a jealous streak in my personality but not so much that I would begrudge success to someone, like yourself, I would also be inspired to do well for myself

  5. #55
    Headed Home! KM Richards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    I'm right Here!
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. I always figured that when someone is succesful, that means there's some hope for me!

    Snitches where funny britches...that's how you can tell who's a nark!

  6. #56
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KM Richards View Post
    Exactly. I always figured that when someone is succesful, that means there's some hope for me!

    Snitches where funny britches...that's how you can tell who's a nark!
    ooook! lol

    I agree - I think that when you see someone that is doing well, especially someone that surprises you, it gives you hope to think, well hell if they're doing it and making a success of it then why shouldn't I! I think you always have to believe in yourself and your self-worth, armed with that frame of mind you'll succeed no matter what!

  7. #57
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good evening everyone. Just waking up and checking with everyone. What's good on the social media and online marketing news?

  8. #58
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wudi333 View Post
    My son is the only one from my family who knows what i do on the internet.
    And, don't get too hape some of those whoyone what you do online, because some of those who are your friends and family silently may grow jealous. Just speaking from experience ...

  9. #59
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danicakarls View Post
    That depends whether the site (family, friends, relatives, etc.) is related to my site. If not, then I guess I have to say no since it will hurt my PR.
    Sad to say that in most cases, family will hurt your site, if you tell them about it. I never could understand why of all people, family are the ones that stunt a person's growth. Is it because of jealousy?

  10. #60
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy View Post
    ooook! lol

    I agree - I think that when you see someone that is doing well, especially someone that surprises you, it gives you hope to think, well hell if they're doing it and making a success of it then why shouldn't I! I think you always have to believe in yourself and your self-worth, armed with that frame of mind you'll succeed no matter what!

    This is very true . And, rejection is also a major contributing factor to alot of entrepreneur's successes also, because it gave them that extra drive to succeed, because they felt kicked to the curb by almost everyone. It's funny how the ones who reject and talk about you behind your back when you're down and out always come running back, when they see you are doing good, and try to speak. For what? I think that's kind of backwards, don't you?

  11. #61
    Non-Member nedox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My family thinks I play video games when I work on my PC, and half of them don't know what website is
    But If any of them decide to start their own, I don't see reason why not giving them a little push.

  12. #62
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nedox View Post
    My family thinks I play video games when I work on my PC, and half of them don't know what website is
    But If any of them decide to start their own, I don't see reason why not giving them a little push.
    they might get jealous if they find out you are making good money from it. i would keep quiet about it...

  13. #63
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    N43 44.4824', W079 13.9408
    Posts
    2,220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My family told me that doing anything in computers was a pipe-dream. Add to that all they think I do on it is game as well.

  14. #64
    Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mittineague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    West Springfield, Massachusetts
    Posts
    17,032
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When I tell people I spend a lot of time on the computer, they usually automatically assume one of two reasons - Games, or pr0n

    When I tell them "writing code" they give me a puzzled look, and if I say "making web pages" they nod as if they understand but they still have that slightly puzzled look.

    None of my family or friends have asked for links, but then none of them have a web site.

    Though I do get occasional "help me fix my computer" requests.

    Two of my friends have a "home business" and IMHO should have a web site. But neither show much interest in the idea. One is happy to have a little "side income" and the other SPAMs her Facebook friends with "on sale" updates.

  15. #65
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague
    Though I do get occasional "help me fix my computer" requests.
    We ought to make a poll about this.

    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

    Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

  16. #66
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy
    That's fair enough, but would you link to a friend or family purely because of their connection to you, as a favour let's say? A helping hand?
    Well, like I said up there, it depends.

    If my site is a fun, personal site, then sure.

    If it's not, then it depends on what my friend's site is about. If their site is good and it's related to the topic of mine, that's fine. It would add value to my own site as a portal for my viewers to keep researching whatever topic they're interested in.

    So it really depends.

    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

    Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

  17. #67
    Headed Home! KM Richards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    I'm right Here!
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nedox View Post
    My family thinks I play video games when I work on my PC, and half of them don't know what website is
    Wow! Do they have indoor plumbing and running water?
    What about dipping snuff and looking for dates at family reunions

  18. #68
    Non-Member nedox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KM Richards View Post
    Wow! Do they have indoor plumbing and running water?
    What about dipping snuff and looking for dates at family reunions
    Hehe, nah they are just too old, can't really expect them to know anything about "new technology"

  19. #69
    SitePoint Addict Newviewit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally my successful sites that have found profitable niches are trade secrets that nobody gets to see.

    My family is not into the web, if they asked for links I would probably do it, but only if they take business seriously and do not keep asking for free handouts all the time.

    It's always a slippery slope with people expecting more and more. Can't even count how many times I've fixed viruses on computers then next week they tell me I broke something and need to come in and fix another 10 things...
    UNLIMITED Domains - UNLIMITED Disk Space - UNLIMITED Bandwidth
    *Black Friday - Website Hosting Deal of The Year - 50% OFF!

  20. #70
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It some thing different. I only link to the related websites and that too only Business related websites. Why family?

  21. #71
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkpartner View Post
    It some thing different. I only link to the related websites and that too only Business related websites. Why family?
    Family feels you owe them something when you make it, regardless if they helped you become successful in your venture or not. For me, I've had to work on my internet project alone, and my sister is hating on me, because she is 47 years old living at home, and refuses to go back to college and get her degree. Instead, she wants to stay at home with our mother for the rest of her life, run 30 porn sites in which she is NOT making money from, and continues to write illiterate articles that she thinks will be published by online article directories. I just keep my distance, because no matter how positive I try to be towards her, she curses me out, threatens me, and I continue to do good online, and have a 3.6 GPA in college, majoring in Marketing. She will not be on my payroll when I make it big. I can tell you that much my friend...

  22. #72
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newviewit View Post
    Personally my successful sites that have found profitable niches are trade secrets that nobody gets to see.

    My family is not into the web, if they asked for links I would probably do it, but only if they take business seriously and do not keep asking for free handouts all the time.

    It's always a slippery slope with people expecting more and more. Can't even count how many times I've fixed viruses on computers then next week they tell me I broke something and need to come in and fix another 10 things...
    I agree with you Newviewit, I'm interested in these trade secrets though how can you hide something like that online or within your work But yes, overall that's a sensible attitude you have there

    @virus stuff - Don't get me started on that one!!

    Quote Originally Posted by DrewryMedia View Post
    This is very true . And, rejection is also a major contributing factor to alot of entrepreneur's successes also, because it gave them that extra drive to succeed, because they felt kicked to the curb by almost everyone. It's funny how the ones who reject and talk about you behind your back when you're down and out always come running back, when they see you are doing good, and try to speak. For what? I think that's kind of backwards, don't you?
    I don't work that way really, I don't really see the benefit of kicking someone when their down in order to motivate them to do better - as I said before I'm not a fan of the "tough love" approach in any situation!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    When I tell people I spend a lot of time on the computer, they usually automatically assume one of two reasons - Games, or pr0n

    When I tell them "writing code" they give me a puzzled look, and if I say "making web pages" they nod as if they understand but they still have that slightly puzzled look.

    None of my family or friends have asked for links, but then none of them have a web site.

    Though I do get occasional "help me fix my computer" requests.

    Two of my friends have a "home business" and IMHO should have a web site. But neither show much interest in the idea. One is happy to have a little "side income" and the other SPAMs her Facebook friends with "on sale" updates.
    Yikes Allan, has anyone ever directly said that to you about the games and that? that's a bit rude isn't it?

    If they did ask you for links would you link to them Allan? Or are you with the majority who say the content has to be relevant?

    @the fix my pc requests - I think we have all had that whiney request at one point or another

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    Well, like I said up there, it depends.

    If my site is a fun, personal site, then sure.

    If it's not, then it depends on what my friend's site is about. If their site is good and it's related to the topic of mine, that's fine. It would add value to my own site as a portal for my viewers to keep researching whatever topic they're interested in.

    So it really depends.

    Ok, so here's a question, not only to you Shaun but to everyone else:

    Q: Say your content IS relevant to your friends/families successful website but they refuse to link to you because they want you to find your own way and not piggy back on their success - how would you feel about that? Would you be upset? Or maybe you wouldn't be bothered at all and say no problem? But can you be so forgiving when you're asking for help especially from a friend or family member?

  23. #73
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy
    Q: Say your content IS relevant to your friends/families successful website but they refuse to link to you because they want you to find your own way and not piggy back on their success - how would you feel about that? Would you be upset? Or maybe you wouldn't be bothered at all and say no problem? But can you be so forgiving when you're asking for help especially from a friend or family member?
    I don't think I've ever asked for links, actually.

    I once asked for a link from a Facebook Page, but I'd also contributed a tonne of photos to them so it was kind of a trade.

    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

    Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

  24. #74
    ✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,284
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ that sums it up. It has to be a trade - problem solved.

    As I said in my first reply to this thread, write me a good article and you can add all links you want in it (within reason).

    If the site adds value to my visitors by itself, that's ok too.
    Saul

  25. #75
    Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mittineague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    West Springfield, Massachusetts
    Posts
    17,032
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ^mizwizzy
    Well, nobody ever said it "directly". More like an assumption. - "Oh, I'm too busy to play games on a computer". Though one "friend", (more like an aquaintance) did ask where the pr0n was on my computer!

    He was disappointed when I told him there was none. Now, if he had asked to see some code he would have certainly seen his fill.

    Would I put links up? Maybe not on most of my pages. But my website is my "personal website" and not monetized. As one of my "sections" is Family & Friends I'd probably put a link there if they asked me to.

    I have gotten a few "I want to buy some links on your site" requests through my contact form before - from total unknowns. Those I've ignored. I prefer to keep my site advertisement free and if I include a link its more like a more-information link to something related to the page content.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •