SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never help family, I would help friends over family.

SitePoint Enthusiast sparkie2260's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion has always been, this is not a "zero sum" universe.
    No one else must fail so that I may succeed.
    There is room up here for any and all who would want to be successful and do what it takes.
    By the same token, Cream Always Rises, so there is no worry that anyone is going to nudge you from your success. Stay resilient, stay fresh, stay YOU, and you cannot fail.
    I tell my family and friends this all the time. I hope to see them here too!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewryMedia View Post
    To be honest, I would keep it all to myself and not say one word, because even friends and family get jealous of how good you're doing. One minute they play nice. Next, they turn two faced on you and are ready to try something or get mad, because you have more money than than and don't have to get up in the morning and go to a day job, versus them. Everyone has the ability to succeed online. The choice is up to us, where and how we apply ourselves to internet marketing success
    That's the nature of the beast really isn't it, we all get jealous regardless of status or association - unfortunately yes, families and friends can become those begrudgers we despise but hopefully there are some out there that do encourage and wish us well and success!

I do agree with having to stand on your own two feet and do your best but I also believe in helping others when and where I can

Quote Originally Posted by joebert View Post
    There's a difference between begging for something and proposing something mutually beneficial. The "stars" benefit doesn't always have to be immediate, it can come later.
    Agreed - No one like's a beggar!

Quote Originally Posted by diegolocks10 View Post
    I will definitely share o my family what I am doing in the internet. If they choose to do the same I will gladly teach and assist them. No problem with me.
    Now that's a fine attitude to have

Quote Originally Posted by ZXT View Post
    Like crazybanana I would also like to link only with relevant sites (ads are maybe exempted) so if family members or friends has an unrelated site then I will say no. But if its relevant then maybe I can give away a couple of links.
    Interesting ZXT, this seems to be the shared opinion throughout this thread it seems!

Quote Originally Posted by SiberianHuskey View Post
    I would never help family, I would help friends over family.
    Great news for friends so!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie2260 View Post
    My opinion has always been, this is not a "zero sum" universe.
    No one else must fail so that I may succeed.
    There is room up here for any and all who would want to be successful and do what it takes.
    By the same token, Cream Always Rises, so there is no worry that anyone is going to nudge you from your success. Stay resilient, stay fresh, stay YOU, and you cannot fail.
    I tell my family and friends this all the time. I hope to see them here too!
    I really like that sentence - Stay resilient, stay fresh, stay YOU, and you cannot fail Well said! I also agree that there's always room at the top, greed is a terrible crutch and I pity those who suffer from it! Appreciate your wise words and contribution sparkie

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree with having to stand on your own two feet and do your best but I also believe in helping others when and where I can
    Off Topic:

I agree as well that someone should stand on their own two feet, but there are situations where family can "enable" someone for years then pull the rug from under them over night and expect them to stand on there own in a weeks time which is impossible. When family is miserable them-self they get Joy in seeing someone in the family miserable or worse loosing there life, and I've seen this in many families including my own.

That is why I made that comment for those families that all the siblings get along in harmony I think you are rare. I know there is not a worst enemy then your own family. Family members have literally killed in some form other family members because of jealously, malicious intent or the tough love act.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diegolocks10 View Post
    I will definitely share o my family what I am doing in the internet. If they choose to do the same I will gladly teach and assist them. No problem with me.
    But, you gotta be careful of some family though, because they'll smile in your face like everything is all good, but turn around behind your back the next minute and might try to bring you down, after you don't want to share anything with them. Family feels sometimes you owe them something, just because they are related to you. That is certainly not the case. I would keep mine quiet and don't bring any attention to it, and just act like a regular person around them...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drewry brings up another good point !

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy View Post
    That's the nature of the beast really isn't it, we all get jealous regardless of status or association - unfortunately yes, families and friends can become those begrudgers we despise but hopefully there are some out there that do encourage and wish us well and success!

Agreed - No one like's a beggar!

Now that's a fine attitude to have

Interesting ZXT, this seems to be the shared opinion throughout this thread it seems!

Great news for friends so!

I really like that sentence - Stay resilient, stay fresh, stay YOU, and you cannot fail Well said! I also agree that there's always room at the top, greed is a terrible crutch and I pity those who suffer from it! Appreciate your wise words and contribution sparkie

It's all good though fam, because when I accomplish internet millionaire status, I'll still be the same guy going out in public dressed like a bum, with crusty feet and all, and have like $50g's in my pocket to spend on absolutely nothing at all, while some folk will still judge me for looking some kind of way on the outside, and never find out the value of what my mind is truly worth, and stay in the state they are in. Life is about helping each other, not tearing each other down, ya know...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done the opposite! Dropped my links on the website pages of my friends who occasionally need my help. When they say, "What do I owe you?" I let them know I want to put my link on their site. They don't dare say NO!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazybanana View Post
    I only exchange links...

I heard exchanging links is now a dead issue that does niether one any good because they cancel each other out and does nothing for you in the engines.

Sounds like exchanging links has gone that way of meta tags as search engines ignore this now.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KM Richards View Post
    I heard exchanging links is now a dead issue that does niether one any good because they cancel each other out and does nothing for you in the engines.

Sounds like exchanging links has gone that way of meta tags as search engines ignore this now.
    Whoever told you swapping links is a dead issue is a liar! Link exchanging online and increasing inbound links to your site will significantly boost your position in the search engines, as well as increase organic search engine traffic, while potentially increase online revenue!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I've read numerous articles from SEO guys that claim Yahoo, Google, Bing, and others are now only counting one way links on other websites that point to your website.

And, if you exchange links that cancels out the inbound links and you now neither site gets any benefit with the engines at all.

The reason given for this new direction by the engines is because exchanging links is being mis-used just like meta tags were being mis-used so they changed their algorithum to where they only count one way links and discount link exchanges.

If you search for articles on this you should be able to find alot of stuff about this on the net from those that are in SEO and who watch what the engines do on a regular basis

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And, if you exchange links that cancels out the inbound links and you now neither site gets any benefit with the engines at all.

You serious? Where did you read this? So you get penalized for having link exchanges? Can anybody else confirm this?
    follow me on ayyelo, Easy WordPress; specializing in setting up themes!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I've read numerous articles from SEO guys that claim Yahoo, Google, Bing, and others are now only counting one way links on other websites that point to your website.

The reason given for this new direction by the engines is because exchanging links is being mis-used just like meta tags were being mis-used so they changed their algorithum to where they only count one way links and discount link exchanges.

If you search for articles on this you should be able to find alot of stuff about this on the net from those that are in SEO and who watch what the engines do on a regular basis

Wow. Talk about the world of search engine uncertainty. Well, you know what? Even if all else fails with link building, you still have good ol' article marketing, video creation, social bookmarking and social networking to fall back on. Maybe search engines have changed up their game, because the Black Hat SEO webmasters have possibly messed it up for everyone, and the search engines are now changing up their online algorithm game too. Ya never know. That's why it pays to keep site content fresh and serve others!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sega View Post
    You serious? Where did you read this? So you get penalized for having link exchanges? Can anybody else confirm this?
    There used to be a good SEO forum that was very active at http://www.ihelpyouservices.com but apparently the site owner discontinued the forum there.

They had many SEO guys and this is where I first heard about exchanging links no longer helps rankings and only one way links do.

There's bound to be some Google experts around that can confirm this

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There used to be a good SEO forum that was very active at http://www.ihelpyouservices.com but apparently the site owner discontinued the forum there.

They had many SEO guys and this is where I first heard about exchanging links no longer helps rankings and only one way links do.

Why did they discontinue the site for, when they could've made so much ad revenue from Google AdSense and other ads?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! SEO for 13 years means you've seen and made some pretty big bucks online. What a beautiful feeling that is , isn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why did they discontinue the site for, when they could've made so much ad revenue from Google AdSense and other ads?
    I dunno...maybe the owner of the site died er something

Wow! SEO for 13 years means you've seen and made some pretty big bucks online. What a beautiful feeling that is , isn't it?
    It wasn't my site, I just used the talkboard and learned from some ofthe guys there. Most of them made their living studying the engines and doing SEO services

And, I don't know how much money the site owner made.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not an SEO expert but I believe it comes from Matt Cutts himself, and it's been around for a few years now.

3 (or more) way link exchanges still work. As long as there's no way for search engines to figure out the reciprocity.
    Saul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    As long as there's no way for search engines to figure out the reciprocity
    You don't think the engines are advanced enough to figure this out?

I bet Google can. Heck, they're saving records on everybody so they know what you search for, where you live, etc, etc

Google probably going to help usher in the anti-christ and provide the software and bandwidth to track every human being on the planet...just as soon as everybody gets tagged with RFID chips that are trackable by satellite

Those guys at Google are very sneaky.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno...maybe the owner of the site died er something

It wasn't my site, I just used the talkboard and learned from some ofthe guys there. Most of them made their living studying the engines and doing SEO services

And, I don't know how much money the site owner made.
    ??

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet Google can.
    And yet their results are full of spam. I wouldn't bet much.
    Saul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ??

Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    And yet their results are full of spam. I wouldn't bet much.
    Since Google is being paid, they don't consider it to be spam

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since Google is being paid, they don't consider it to be spam
    They're not being paid for that, it's not sponsored ads. You can tell they're fighting the spam but it's not so simple.
    Saul

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @KM Richards

Probably reciprocal links don't work any more, and meta-tags and pretty much gone. I don't know if you can get penalized though for reciprocal links, or maybe they just ignore them.

It's one thing ignoring them, and another penalizing for them.
    follow me on ayyelo, Easy WordPress; specializing in setting up themes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sega View Post
    It's one thing ignoring them, and another penalizing for them.
    I've heard they just ignore them.