SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Forum that is easy to integrate with current db?

Hi all! I currently have a site with ~700 members. I would like to upgrade our forums, and I'm looking for one that either has the option to use my existing user database, or is easily moddable to do so (IE: Readable source code and/or howto/pointers on integration).

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What forum are you currently using?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply!

I am currently using ikonboard, but as far as I know, the company that made it fell apart. I also hear that it's easily hackable (I've seen another site that used it and had their forum hacked).

I'm currently looking towards phpbb, but I haven't installed it yet. Last time I checked, there were no mods for using an external DB.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure which version of Ikonboard you are running, but I did see that there is an Ikonboard 3.0 Converter posted on the phpbb.com community forums.

All you need to do is search the phpbb.com forums and you should be able to find a converter for your version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not so much interested in using the old user database from my forums, as I am interested in using my current database from my site. I already have a user system that I've made, and would like my forums to use that system. Any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered vBulletin, the very software these forums run on? I know it has an IkonBoard importer and will allow you to import all posts and members.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If vBulliten was easily modifyable to use an external database, I'd shell out the money for it. However, I have heard that the vBulliten's source is very messy and hard to follow. Also, considering that my site makes no money, the cost of vBulliten is quite expensive.