Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Google Instant

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    • It's much quicker for me to search straight from the address bar than go to Google's page.
    I think this is the most relevant criticism of Google Instant I've read yet; to me at least, and users like me. While I am developing, debugging or trying to fix something I've broken, the process is usually the same:

• Tab across to my browser window
    • Ctrl-T to open new tab
    • Type what I want
    • Hit enter

If I wanted to "save time" by using Google Instant, I'd have to...

• Ctrl-T to open new tab
    • Type google.co.uk
    • Start typing something && look at the results as they come up

A similar sized list, but far slower, for me at least. This is the reason I doubt I will personally see much of Google instant. However, I don't know if it will affect us as a business either, because although the vast majority of sales come from Google searches (not other search engines), and a lot of our work goes in to improving search result rankings. From what I've read, these results won't change... unless potential customers start getting taken away on a wikipedia-esque WTF was I searching for in the first place situation :P

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonardChallis View Post
    I think this is the most relevant criticism of Google Instant I've read yet; to me at least, and users like me. While I am developing, debugging or trying to fix something I've broken, the process is usually the same:

• Ctrl-T to open new tab
    • Type what I want
    • Hit enter

If I wanted to "save time" by using Google Instant, I'd have to...

• Ctrl-T to open new tab
    • Type google.co.uk
    • Start typing something && look at the results as they come up

A similar sized list, but far slower, for me at least. This is the reason I doubt I will personally see much of Google instant. However, I don't know if it will affect us as a business either, because although the vast majority of sales come from Google searches (not other search engines), and a lot of our work goes in to improving search result rankings. From what I've read, these results won't change... unless potential customers start getting taken away on a wikipedia-esque WTF was I searching for in the first place situation :P
    I think you might be missing the point?

Google Instant isn't necesarily faster for an individual search (although it can save typing time by autocompleting your search query) but what it allows you to do is make multiple searches whilst doing an individual search. Instead of typing something, getting some results, deciding that it's not what you wanted and repeating the process, you can look at suggested results AS you type and maybe either find what you were looking for before having to complete typing it or find an alternitive that satisifies your requirements better then the original search would have.

It's also great if you're not sure what you're looking for because it suggests words and phrase that you might not have considered or would have taken longer to get to otherwise.

Overall for all types of search it's faster by miles.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    I think you might be missing the point?

Google Instant isn't necesarily faster for an individual search (although it can save typing time by autocompleting your search query) but what it allows you to do is make multiple searches whilst doing an individual search. Instead of typing something, getting some results, deciding that it's not what you wanted and repeating the process, you can look at suggested results AS you type and maybe either find what you were looking for before having to complete typing it or find an alternitive that satisifies your requirements better then the original search would have.

It's also great if you're not sure what you're looking for because it suggests words and phrase that you might not have considered or would have taken longer to get to otherwise.

Overall for all types of search it's faster by miles.
    Some really nice points - I certainly didn't think of it in this way. My only reservation would be that most of the time I don't end up making more than one search. For instance, if I was programming CURL in PHP and wanted to remind myself the parameters setopt would accept, I'd just write curl setopt in to my address pane and I'd immediately go there (or it would be the first result). This is more what I meant by not needing it. I suppose I use google search as a lazy way of not having to remember URL's or use my mouse to use menu navigation on web sites when I know what page I want. I can't say using Google Instant for this use-case would be faster by miles, but as you put, it's not really intended to fit this purpose, so maybe me referring to it as a criticism isn't fair.

However I totally accept your point about searching in a more traditional sense. If I wanted to, for instance, search how to search a multi-dimensional array - there is possibly tens or even hundreds of search patterns to find similar results, but that killer result I'm after may only pop-up with a certain combination of keywords I never thought of. That I can see being faster by miles.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I watched an "average" web user play with this for the first time. She thought it was brilliant!

Normally she'd search for something and browse through 3 or 4 results pages to find any links she wanted to click on, then she'd choose "the best of the bunch". Now with this new innovation she started to use variations of her search terms (without any promting from me) and see instant results. She found several sites she'd never visited before and bookmarked them. Incidently she still looked through 3-4 pages of search results.

For my friend it let her discover new sites in just a few minutes, whereas previously she would have given up and stuch with the sites she alraedy knew about - that must say something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find this new feature kind of annoying, but I think I will get used to it and like it more. My searching feels a lot faster, its just getting used to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    Many of Google's ideas were pioneered by other companies, but their success is down to them doing it better than anyone else.
    Let me know when they do something other than better search engine results. But that's starting to go south, since around 2006-07 - all you get these days is wordpress blogs with google ads on them, yay
    a new day, a new beginning
    never follow the crowd, the crowd is poor!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    Is there a way to turn it off?

If you don't want to see results as you type, you can turn off Google Instant by clicking the link next to the search box on any search results page, or by visiting your Preferences page.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartinman View Post
    Do you think the SEO fight will heat up because of this. I feel that the longtail keywords will be a big mess due to the suggestion part of Google search since the instant is displaying the results so fast now.
    I just think people will know how to search better. It's like teaching people how to search via a search engine. So I don't think SEO will suffer.

If anybody feels different please say, but I don't see how it can suffer.

But if people know how to search better, then they probably would not be clicking on the PPC adds on the top. Come to think of it, it might have some affect on paid adds.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey,everyone. I am a freshman at this forum. I am so glad to see you all. In the end , thank you offering the stage for us to discussion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the search algorithm is not change, it means you can use the same SEO Strategy for boosting the ranking that you using now, but you need to adapt the change of user behavior that means about keyword researching, the listing elements (such as Title, Meta Tag, etc) and also explore the new area that you will be gain more exposure.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere that Yahoo came up with the concept of Instant Google back in '95.

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere that there are still Dodos alive and kicking in Mauritius.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    Here you go: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09...o_live_search/

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. But you were a whole decade out in your original post.

Quote Originally Posted by The Register
    A former Yahoo! product manager has claimed that Google Instant was invented by Yahoo! in 2005.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks. But you were a whole decade out in your original post.
    Yep, I noticed that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dodo is still alive and kicking here in Australia, preying on the weak and thick-headed bogan's with credit cards...
    a new day, a new beginning
    never follow the crowd, the crowd is poor!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    watching the video now, looks interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using instant search I'm just reminded how much Google pimps large corporations. Think their turning more into a portal directory that people use instead of the address bar. But for actual searches for information and news it's kind of loosing importance for me.

Type "e" and I got: ebay, espn, expedia. "s" - skype, sears, staples. Randomly type 2 letters: "be" - best buy, bed bath and beyond, etc.

What happened to independent results? Someone really needs to come out with an unbiased search engine that doesn't sell out to large corporations.
    UNLIMITED Domains - UNLIMITED Disk Space - UNLIMITED Bandwidth
    *Black Friday - Website Hosting Deal of The Year - 50% OFF!

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newviewit View Post
    Type "e" and I got: ebay, espn, expedia. "s" - skype, sears, staples. Randomly type 2 letters: "be" - best buy, bed bath and beyond, etc.

What happened to independent results? Someone really needs to come out with an unbiased search engine that doesn't sell out to large corporations.
    Maybe you missed Eric Schmidt saying that 'branding will sort out the cesspit of the internet'. If you type in a single letter, of course you're going to get large companies, their branding is superior. With nothing but a single letter to go on Google isn't going to be able to factor in local/geotargeted factors.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newviewit View Post
    Using instant search I'm just reminded how much Google pimps large corporations. Think their turning more into a portal directory that people use instead of the address bar. But for actual searches for information and news it's kind of loosing importance for me.

That's a pretty big chip on your shoulder there...

Google do not prioritise large corporations because they are large corporations - they prioritise them because those sites are more likely to be what people are looking for.

You might have the best recipe for beetroot soup in the world, but if someone starts typing "n" into Google, the odds are much higher that they will want one of Next, New Look, National Rail and Natwest than "Newviewit's recipe for beetroot soup".

What do you think the top results for "e..." should be, if not three of the most popular websites in existence?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's important that Instant Google does not induce what people would normally search for, or make them lazy searches.

To be fair I like the feature working, but I have yet to see it's usefulness for me finding web-pages and so forth. It's more like a gimmick than anything else at the moment. For some reason I don't want to turn it off, because I like seeing it in action, but it feels kind of odd too. I think I might have to get use to it.

From another point of view, it's always good to see what the top ranking searches are. Another great feature is to show me how many people searched for them, in an instant. That would be amazing.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like how search results are returned instantly without a page reload, but don't like the predictive nature of it personally; showing results as you type. I'd prefer it to show search suggestions as I type, on which it displays the results for that search if I key down or mouse over the suggestion. So the technology is good, but it just needs a bit of refining.

I admit though that it's too early for me to make any conclusions. No one will benefit from this new technology instantly, it'll take a couple of days or weeks to get use to before you can actually determine whether it's of any use to you personally. I'm definitely going to leave it on either way, unless after a couple of weeks I'm sick of it. It's better to try and get use to the default behavior of Google, than changing settings on every computer you use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting take on all this from Charlie Brooker in the Guardian

It's the internet on fast-forward, and it's aggressive – like trying to order from a waiter who keeps finishing your sentences while ramming spoonfuls of what he thinks you want directly into your mouth, so you can't even enjoy your blancmange without chewing a gobful of black pudding first...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see it making ranking for page 1 searches all the more important. As Google's constantly suggesting and displaying variations on your term and providing instant results, I cant see most users going onto page 2, 3 etc when a whole new set of results is one press of the down arrow key.

If I search for beetroot recipe, I'm much more inclined to browse the results for variations such as 'beetroot feta recipe', 'beetroot recipe Jamie Oliver','greece beetroot salad recipe' as they're words that I wouldn't of immediately thought of rather than digging through the next 3 pages of the original term

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't like the feature and I turned it off.
    If I'm looking for something and typing I know what word I am going to type. I don't need instant results on few letters.
    Completely useless imo.