Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Google Instant

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sega View Post
    I have Google UK and it works fine for me. You have to be registered though to Google and have a Google Account, and your instant will work automatically.

Whilst in the UK and struggle to access the Google US site, so I am not sure how you gained access to the US site, but if you know please let me know. It's something I have been trying to do for ages. It seems to redirect me to the UK version from the .com version, and even from the .us version.
    for easy accss to us google just install hotspotshield it will give u a us ip.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldBlack View Post
    Google.us still does not work, but the up side is that I can finally get ve0h to work. Thanks :P
    follow me on ayyelo, Easy WordPress; specializing in setting up themes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude View Post
    As it is on by default, most people will not turn it off. Not any more than people would turn it on if it was off by default. That is why it is on by default!
    I was merely replying to someone who claimed it wasn't obvious how to turn it off.

As for your criticisms of it, with respect, they seem absolutely typical of someone who is afraid of change. It's true that SEO may change as a result of the continuous stream of new technology implemented by Google. I for one will embrace the changes that it brings. I always look forward to staying ahead of the game as the game changes. I don't think therefore, (this might change SEO) is a valid criticism.

Google already suggests popular terms so the only reason people may end up searching for the popular terms more is because they ARE what they were actually looking for and with the Instant Google feature enabled the searcher can see this before they finish typing.

All that said, Google Instant is in it's infancy and problems are bound to occur here and there. If Google has some kind of "evil" motive behind this new feature, it's certainly yet to reveal itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldBlack View Post
    it's much easier than that just goto google.com/ncr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google instant is great for people who can't type very good, but for me looking for things on google it just drives me insane. I spent a lot of time trying to target keywords people would think about, but now with google instant people will type something and they will get a list of other options which will take away from some of my potential traffic.
    Small Coffee Tables

Ideas to Make Money - Where ideas come true!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty cool...When we look at the future of search there are generally three axis these things progress along. Interactions. Comprehensiveness. Understanding. For a lot of the features and a lot of the changes we make, they really only move forward on one axis at a time. Google Instant is interesting because it actually moves the ball forward on all three of those areas. It is a totally new way of interacting with the search engine.”
    <snip/>
    Last edited by Mittineague; Sep 21, 2010 at 00:21. Reason: Please wait until you get your signature for your links.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google Instant is not working in www.google.com.sg , but it works www.google.com

Is this new feature available to all domains or particular domains only?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Seems so, though they rolled out that retarded left-hand sidebar domain by domain, so it's probably slowly cycling over to the other domains as we speak.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that google instant helps me pick the better search terms for finding what I want, I'm probably one of the not-so-few people that suffer from the total inability of finding anything worthwhile with google, mostly because I can't pick the right words for what I want.

Google instant on the other hand shows me what I get for typing the wrong words and lets me fix the bad search terms without having to click the search button again and again or having to scroll down the page, I just type words until the site that I want pops out as the top link,
    then I do a cool shortcut that I learned thanks to all this: enter the words into google instant until what you want is first, then press the down arrow key, then the left arrow key, no mouse needed! finally! yay!

so it's not the speed of the search, it's the reduced clicking that saves time, for me at least.

p.s. the curiosity factor that poes mentions is not really a bad thing

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm probably one of the not-so-few people that suffer from the total inability of finding anything worthwhile with google, mostly because I can't pick the right words for what I want.
    It's called google-fu.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the curiosity factor that poes mentions is not really a bad thing
    Not a bad thing, sometimes it can enhance what you're looking for, and find specific terms. Maybe it wouldn't be too good if people were too reliant on it.

I do see a potential problem with Instant Google, and this problem lies anywhere beyond the first page. People would prefer simply typing something new and seeing Google do it's magic that possibly going to the 2nd and 3rd pages to see if they can find what they want. To be honest I rarely go beyond page 1. Only if I am super-desperate.
    follow me on ayyelo, Easy WordPress; specializing in setting up themes!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not a bad thing, sometimes it can enhance what you're looking for, and find specific terms. Maybe it wouldn't be too good if people were too reliant on it.
    No, the curiosity issue is when you start out searching for one thing, but because you get half-*ssed results as you go, you get distracted by something unrelated to your search and you end up spending hours "encyclopedia surfing" before remembering you were supposed to look up something.

As you go through an encyclodpedia or dictionary, you see lots of other interesting words while you try to spell-search your term. The result is you never quite get to your search term.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Luckily for me, keeping google on my javascript black list prevents this...

Ever go to look something up in a dictionary or an encyclopedia? Ever end up a few hours later having read a whole bunch of crap but can't remember any more what it was you originally wanted to look up, because you saw all this other stuff while searching instead?

Seriously, if I'm going to look up turkey recipes, you bet your butt I'll waste time reading about some festival going on in Istanbul instead.

Yeah, no way. This kind of searching is for the incurious : )
    I have had a perfectly wonderful
    evening, but this wasn't it-
    Julius "GROUCHO" Marx - 1890-1977
    http://www.davidclick.com