Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Google Instant

Motivated Procrastinator seriocomic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google Instant

So today the search giant decided to throw the search world in to a bit of a spin with a controversial new approach to delivering a search experience with Google Instant.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElubRNRIUg4

I was almost tempted to describe this as a radical change, but there have been a number of recent tweaks to the way Google (and even Yahoo!/Bing) tried to predictively or smartly speed up the search process, with Instant being hinted at as recently as a week ago.

In today's product launch, Google VP Marissa Mayer stated that their latest initiative will save 350 million hours of wasted search time with Google Instant. In describing the product she stated:
    Our search-as-you-type demos were thought-provoking - fun, fast and interactive - but fundamentally flawed. Why? Because you don't really want search-as-you-type (no one wants search results for [bike h] in the process of searching for [bike helmets]). You really want search-before-you-type - that is, you want results for the most likely search given what you have already typed.
    Already the search community is divided (change seems to have that affect), with some declaring the death of SEO, while others are taking a more pragmatic approach. Googler Matt Cutts also chimed in with his thoughts. What a lot of people are not stepping back and observing, is as Chris Chrum states:
    Google clearly said that ranking stays the same with Google Instant, but it will change the way people search. It will affect their search behavior, and that is what search marketers are going to have to think about more than ever.
    So this really isn't about SEO, or SEM (although it will most likely impact both) - it's about user experience and delivering that in the best way possible. What this probably will impact more, is the expectations that consumers will have when it comes to search in general. Websites that have a search box, will be implicitly expected by consumers to behave the way they do on Google/Bing/Yahoo.

More reading: http://searchengineland.com/google-i...rs-guide-50136

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Great post! It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I'm not sure why it's thought to kill off SEO, as something must determine what the search terms up. Presumably it's not just page titles. Does anyone know?
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Luckily for me, keeping google on my javascript black list prevents this...

Ever go to look something up in a dictionary or an encyclopedia? Ever end up a few hours later having read a whole bunch of crap but can't remember any more what it was you originally wanted to look up, because you saw all this other stuff while searching instead?

Seriously, if I'm going to look up turkey recipes, you bet your butt I'll waste time reading about some festival going on in Istanbul instead.

Yeah, no way. This kind of searching is for the incurious : )

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! I was really surprised this morning about this one...I was like typing my keyword then it got me an instant result...

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seriocomic View Post
    So today the search giant decided to throw the search world in to a bit of a spin with a controversial new approach to delivering a search experience with Google Instant.

In today's product launch, Google VP Marissa Mayer stated that their latest initiative will save 350 million hours of wasted search time with Google Instant.
    Except that it won't save me any time at all.

In theory, I think it's a great idea, certainly a good next step for Google in terms of helping people get the results they want quicker.

But...
    • It's much quicker for me to search straight from the address bar than go to Google's page.
    • Even if it wasn't quicker, for some bizarre reason, using Opera I can only get that damn stupid iGoogle page, no matter what I try I can't get the straight Google search page that you can get in every other browser, so I would never go to the Google search page. Plus they say it doesn't work on Opera.
    • Sometimes there's a definite latency to it, I guess if you start your query with a more popular word (eg "how to...") while it sorts through the squillions of options. That's irritating, as is the confusion as results appear, disappear and shuffle round while you're trying to concentrate on typing in your search query, and it's irritating that it does it without asking you and with no immediately obvious way to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by seriocomic View Post
    Already the search community is divided (change seems to have that affect), with some declaring the death of SEO ... So this really isn't about SEO, or SEM
    Exactly. When people talk about Caffeine or Instant or any other search engine initiative being "the death of SEO", it just shows up the fact that they don't have the first cue what they are talking about. Those search results have got to come from somewhere, and they've got to be ranked in order somehow, and that's where SEO plays its part. Yes, there may be a change in some of the strategies and techniques that work best, but the beast is still the same beast underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Ever go to look something up in a dictionary or an encyclopedia? Ever end up a few hours later having read a whole bunch of crap but can't remember any more what it was you originally wanted to look up, because you saw all this other stuff while searching instead?

Seriously, if I'm going to look up turkey recipes, you bet your butt I'll waste time reading about some festival going on in Istanbul instead.

Everyone knows that cats have a notoriously short attention s....ooh look, shiny!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    and it's irritating that it does it without asking you and with no immediately obvious way to stop it.
    Block scripts from the domain google.com

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What I've read in this article from hubspot

Google Instant also means a shift toward focusing even more on higher rankings for specific long tail keyword phrases. The Google Instant interface reduces the need to scroll down the page looking for better results and essentially eliminates the need to look at anything other than the first page of search engine results. Users will look at the first three to five results at the top of the page without having to scroll; if they don’t see what they are looking for, they will adjust their search phrase instead of scrolling or visiting the next page of results.

Ultimately Google Instant means a more personalized search experience, and it ensures that search results are no longer static. Search results continue to become more customized to individuals and their habits and preferences. While long tail keywords are now even more important, the changes Google made today only reinforce that to be found by qualified visitors online, you need to create and publish relevant content that is valuable and solves the problems of your prospects and customers.
    I don't see anything wrong with this technology but, to be honest, is there anything new under the sun? Because the search-as-you-type has been already in place for a while. I mean that Google already tried to autofill your search requests to do your search easier.

This is just a little step forward, but not such a huge difference, in my opinion.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    • Even if it wasn't quicker, for some bizarre reason, using Opera I can only get that damn stupid iGoogle page, no matter what I try I can't get the straight Google search page that you can get in every other browser, so I would never go to the Google search page. Plus they say it doesn't work on Opera.
    http://my.opera.com/chooseopera/blog...-work-in-opera

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have mental blinders on the rest of the page while typing a search term because I find that instant results thing really distracting. Kind of irritating.

I do like that the page clears when I clear the search term though.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a way to turn it off?

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You have a link right beside the search field that says "instant is on". Click on that and you will turn it off (it only appears when you start to type)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think the SEO fight will heat up because of this. I feel that the longtail keywords will be a big mess due to the suggestion part of Google search since the instant is displaying the results so fast now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another step in the wrong direction for a company that's already seen it's peak. They had to steal ideas from Microsoft for pete's sake!
    a new day, a new beginning
    never follow the crowd, the crowd is poor!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what I think about this feature yet, as I switched it off as soon as I noticed it, but the first impression certainly was annoying. Maybe I'll give it a second chance later

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the instant search says nothing more than "look, we could pick and move data quickly from our ridiculously massive dataset of indexed pages!" It's not asking for you to wait until you're done entering what you want to look and confirm by submitting the form.

It's kind of like that person that tries to answer you as soon as possible when you haven't finished your question or statement, and then he has to backtrack because he misinterpreted your question because you didn't finish saying what you meant to say.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NetNerd85 View Post
    Another step in the wrong direction for a company that's already seen it's peak. They had to steal ideas from Microsoft for pete's sake!
    Many of Google's ideas were pioneered by other companies, but their success is down to them doing it better than anyone else.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is an incredibly stupid and annoying "feature". You type one! letter and it starts returning results. How could it possibly know what I am looking for when I type one letter? This is STUPID!

Just one more reason to use search.yahoo.com.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude View Post
    This is an incredibly stupid and annoying "feature". You type one! letter and it starts returning results. How could it possibly know what I am looking for when I type one letter? This is STUPID!

Just one more reason to use search.yahoo.com.
    So if you wrote the software, after how many letters would you start making suggestions to help the searcher?
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet if you typed "c" and got "cheese" you might be quite happy. Unfortunately it gives me "currys", which I find rather mysterious.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I think we're probably the worst person to judge this though. Most of us are such "internet experts" (notice the quotes =p) that we don't need these little things to speed up anything for us, and find them quite annoying because we analyze them to a fault. We're also really good at picking our search phrases to get to what we're looking for.

As for how the average user, I think many of them may actually find it interesting. For those that still type with one finger, if instant works even a fourth of the time for them, it could speed things up for them.

I bet that Google is tracking things intensely, and in a month or two, if it's still here, it likely means that the average person is finding it useful. Until then, I'm reserving my opinion.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what will be impact of google instant on seo? I am not shore about it..... As keyword selection would be impossible........

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samanine
    As for how the average user, I think many of them may actually find it interesting. For those that still type with one finger, if instant works even a fourth of the time for them, it could speed things up for them.

I bet that Google is tracking things intensely, and in a month or two, if it's still here, it likely means that the average person is finding it useful. Until then, I'm reserving my opinion.
    Good point.

Time to get grandma on the computer and see what she thinks. Or, my boss, who cares very very much about Google but doesn't seem to quite understand what it's all about... : )

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jermeybrown View Post
    what will be impact of google instant on seo? I am not shore about it..... As keyword selection would be impossible........
    Why? People are still typing the same things into the box, and wanting the same things out at the end. What it means is that they won't necessarily have to type the whole phrase, and there may be a greater emphasis in SEO on "first words".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    this new thing i like most.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is too early to predict exactly how Google Instant would change SEO and PPC but apparently it seems this would mean more Adwords spend for advertisers and a tougher competition on the SEO domain.