SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to begin?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I always wondered where back-end people get their kicks.
    Writing programs in cool languages like Perl.
    After all, Perl has stuff like The Joy Of MooseX:: —doesn't that sound exciting? : )

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue. View Post
    I'm sorry to say this, and I'd be glad if I were wrong in your case - just by reading the books you won't get to the advanced level you want.
    I completely agree, and I would hope that no one reads a book and thinks their an expert. Unfortunately, as a trained artist turned graphic/ui designer, it's common for someone to think that because they have photoshop and can add a drop shadow that makes them a designer.

When I "read", I read to understand and code alongside the examples. I also reverse engineer others code to learn what works, why it works and how to break it. I also don't refer to one resource but as many as I can get my hands on. This is how I became proficient in HTML and CSS. I simply—pun intended—wanted to take the next step in my web development which is why I posted the question here because I was unsure what that next step might be. And thankfully, I have received a lot of very informative and helpful advice here that has helped me clarify and focus on my next step. I also checked into everyone's suggestions and the stickys in the Sitepoint Javascript forum. Good stuff!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, reading a book is one thing... you learn the theory and syntax etc, and it's good to have a reference to fall back on. If you don't practice, you forget all this again.

But to really get it, you should test excercises yourself, from scratch, fall and start over again. And with this forum your learn a lot.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i feel similar, but I'm primarily Front End Web these days.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rick yentzer View Post
    I truly appreciate your responses as they have helped me to clarify some things. It look like jQuery/Javascript is my next goal.

Any recommendations for accessible Javascript sources or reading material?

Thanks again.
    For basic learning go with w3schools.com tutorial.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oddz View Post
    I'm curious, what are the qualifications for advanced developer? In all the job listings I have seen not once have I seen that combination of terms. Titles are more less a derivative of expertise and experience, not what you think you know or how many books you have read. Stop focusing on the title and learn what you want to achieve the position you would like. Titles are pretty much worthless. You can either do the job or you can't its really that simple.
    There are no qualifications for web design and development. At least none that are endorsed by a standards body or are considered of any real world value by the industry as a whole. In fact, stuff like the CIW qualifications are pretty much considered a big joke. I agree with you however that titles in our industry are one huge mess, you've got no barriers to entry, people calling themselves stuff because it sounds "cool" and large numbers of people unable to backup their experience level.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My job title: Markup Monkey and Occasional Ad Banner Maker

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Stomme poes: "My job title: Markup Monkey..."

What a shame it's not Markup Cat.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Markup Cat would get paid more due to the slightly higher awesomeness inherent in the name...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rick yentzer View Post
    I completely agree, and I would hope that no one reads a book and thinks their an expert. Unfortunately, as a trained artist turned graphic/ui designer, it's common for someone to think that because they have photoshop and can add a drop shadow that makes them a designer...
    W00t! I can do a drop shadow, a glow and bevel and emboss. Hang on while I register my web design company...
    Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    W00t! I can do a drop shadow, a glow and bevel and emboss. Hang on while I register my web design company...
    Uh, where's your lens flare? That is absolutely a requirement in modern web design.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    The very tiny, tiny experience I've had of it makes it easy to understand. You want to create some kind of complex functionality, and it's very exciting/satisfying when you've got it working.
    I have no idea on web design.I have an expert who designs my website. Sometimes i pay quite a lot of money to get this done.I will soon learn how to do it on my own.
    Last edited by ralph.m; Jan 1, 2011 at 06:20. Reason: removed fake sig