SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple questions about making links shorter

If these have been answered ad nauseum, I apologize. I did search and read through a great deal of posts yesterday, but couldn't find the answers.

I help run a website that, among many other things, acts like a shopping portal/directory. Our revenue comes from affiliate programs (CJ, Linkshare, etc.)

We have decided we'd like to put all of the various links into our database and call them via php. However, before I complete this work (we had several thousand to put into the database) I have a few questions. (And this is why I'm posting this here, as opposed to site design, or php, or several other forums this could also pertain to!)

1. We've seen where many of the coupon code sites and other shopping type sites have gone to the php/database solution for their links. However, in doing this, are they pulling both the url and the image url? Are the two different urls seperated in the database, or are they left together, similar to how they are when you get them from Linkshare, etc.? I really wanted to use a "location: url_from_database" type script in the header of the page, since that seems the cleanest and simplest way of doing it. But if we do that, there is no way to get the image link to create an impression, correct? Regardless of where we place the image link on the page, if it's below the header redirect, I don't think it's going to create an impression. Is there another way of doing this? Do we really have to create a seperate page for each link, so we can still use the image links? (I should clarify, we use 99.9% text links, the image links I'm referring to are the 1x1 tracking images, so they are never actually seen by anyone.)

2. This is partially related to the above question, but only as far as the php/database idea. Using the same format, will this help us get around ad-blocking problems? In the last few months we're getting more and more people saying they don't see our links, when they know they should be there (they are missing in the middle of paragraphs, etc.) I narrowed it down to Norton firewall, ZoneAlarm Pro, and possibly another ad-blocking program. What's happening is that any url we have with the word "ad" or "sale" or "offer" is automatically blocked if anyone is using the above programs (newer versions) and they haven't changed the default in the ad-blocking section of the program. When you view the html of the page where the link is missing, these programs are rewriting the html code and changing certain words (link instead of "<a href" it changes to "<a ref" or something like that. That makes the coding incorrect, so the links don't show up. So, if we use the php/database system and call the url that way, does anyone know if it gets us around this issue? We've explained to our users how to fix their ad-blockers, but a lot of people know very little about the software and don't like to go messing with the controls, afraid they will blow up their computer or something.

I thank anyone who can offer me some insight.
    Last edited by 3YL; Jul 28, 2002 at 07:54.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no ones gonna read all this, including me lol