SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with marketing ideas

I like many others have a limited marketing budget since paying developers, designers etc. I now seek marketing advice on either very cheap or indeed free advertising media.
    The site will be ready to launch within a few weeks and I have my market well defined. I am trying to attract the accommodation sector within the UK as well as people looking for accommodation. This is not a site giving just a simple listing but with comprehensive search facilities whilst being very user friendly. It will be without doubt the best accommodation search in the UK, but as you will also be aware it does need VISITORS. I do not want any advertising banners on my site; I do not want to affiliate unless it is totally relevant to my site.
    Comments and advice welcome please.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Posters are always a good way to promote your site.

Some people look for others to join in on a leaflet drop to cut down prices try and find someone to do that.

A good ranking on search engines will help alot, you could do that for free just read up on how to get best possible rankings.

Word of mouth obviously is a very good method but can take a while.

Run some sort of competitions as well
    Back Again

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SBDI thanks for your reply and tips but I need more. What sort of competition do you suggest??

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should definetely click the promote link at the top of these forums.

They have some excellent articles on promotion split into relevant sub categories.

I think search engine optimisation should be your key focus. It can be a real traffic builder and if you are willing to put in the effort yourself to learn the tactics it can be very rewarding on a very small budget.

For example I set up a hypnotherapy site for my dad. He ran a 120 ad in a newspaper and got like 1 reply.

I set up a simple site for him, did some work on the se's and he has is getting like 4-5 local enquires a month so far and we are just getting started.

Also from my own experience se's can really help you bring in traffic.

I assume your market the WHOLE of the uk then?

I would perhaps try and get in some newsletters to related types of sites. You might find some you can get quite cheaply.

You have to figure where is your audience gonna be? What sites will they go to? Then you can decide where to advertise and with the net advertising industry being like it is. Well... put it this way you can get some very xost effective advertising if you do things right.

Google ad words and overture are possibilities also.
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try and get a local sponser to give prizes towards competitions. I wouldnt be able to say what sort of prizes as I dont know exactly what sort of accomodation site it is. Maybe offer to pay a months rent or free deposit ?

If your site is offering student accomodation make sure to tell the universitys they will list your site no problem if its any good
    Back Again

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sbdi
    without giving too much away at the minute, it is a very good site. Very user friendly and there is nothing about just now that comes close to it. Bragging aside lol. It doesn't matter how good it is, I need exposure and that is why I am looking for ideas. The University one is certainley one I overlooked Thanks.
    (spelling not chicked)