Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking For Freedom From All In One SEO Pack

Sitepoint,
    I want to deactivate all in one seo pack, but when I do, the title, description, and keywords of my home page disappear. I would put the title, description, and keywords into their fields in wordpress but, when all in one seo pack is deactivated the fileds are not there in wordpress for the home page nor any of my pages. I've looked and looked.

Thanks,

Chris
    Last edited by Chris77; Aug 26, 2010 at 21:02. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you need to remove it instead of just deactivating it.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S.S.,
    I thought I tried that. I'll try it again.

Chris

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Check that your theme has those tags. Mine only has
    PHP Code:
    <title><?php /* wp_title( '-', true, 'right' ); echo wp_specialchars( get_bloginfo('name'), 1 ) */ ?></title>
    The plugin adds
    <meta name="description"
    <meta name="keywords"
    <link rel="canonical"

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mittineague, Silly Soft,
    My theme has the line <title><?php wp_title() ?></title> and when I remove the plugin the title doesn't show at the top of the browser. So for the moment there's no need to put in a correspondng line for the description; becuase the line for the title isn't even working when I remove the plugin. Have any idea why the title code won't work?

Thanks,

Chris

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have aiosp 1.5.6

I can't see that it messes with the core "name" option value so I don't think it wiped that out.

I do see that it doesn't clean up after itself with a "deactivate" function, but I don't see how that could be causing your problem. If anything that would leave orphaned options in your wp_options table.

I looked for the "silly soft" theme at wordpress.org extend but couldn't find it, so I don't know if it has more to do with the theme (i.e. a functions file) than it does with wordpress or the aiosp plugin.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mittineague,
    I removd the plugin folder from the site and after there was no title, description, keywords field for any of the wordpress pages. I reloaded the plugin and the title, description, and keywords fields show for each of the pages. Do you think once you have All in one you can't go back?

Chris

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mitteneague,
    Would you agree that if for the the header.php of my wordpress theme I have
    <title><?php wp_title() ?></title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="/aa.css" type="text/css" media="all" />
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" />
    <?php wp_head(); ?></head><?php flush() ?>

That when all in one seo pack is installed it's providing the code for title, description, keywords and the text that goed into the code it got from the wordpres editor where I enetered the text. So when I remove the plugin, my header.ph doesn't have description and keywords so they won't appear in the wordpress editor. But that doesn't explain the lack of the title at the top of the browser (and in view>source) which is in the header.php file.

Thanks,

Chris77

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mittineague,
    In the header.php code I replaced
    <title><?php wp_title() ?></title>
    with your
    <title><?php /* wp_title( '-', true, 'right' ); echo wp_specialchars( get_bloginfo('name'), 1 ) */ ?></title>
    and I still have the same problem - all it says at the top of the browser is "Mozilla Firefox"

Thanks,

Chris

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    delete the entire plug from your wp-plug ins on your server. go into wp-content, wp-plug ins, look for Allin1SEO, and then hit the delete button. Let me know how that works out for you

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DrewryMedia,
    The plugin was already gone from the wordpress editor, but it appeared to still be on the site when looking from the sever (signed into my webhost account), so I deleted it. Still though, in the wordpress editor there's no field for title and description and keywords like you see when all in one seo pack is installed. And there's no title at the top of the browser.

Thanks,

Chris

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris77 View Post
    DrewryMedia,
    The plugin was already gone from the wordpress editor, but it appeared to still be on the site when looking from the sever (signed into my webhost account), so I deleted it. Still though, in the wordpress editor there's no field for title and description and keywords like you see when all in one seo pack is installed. And there's no title at the top of the browser.

Thanks,

Chris

O, I see what you're saying now. I think that happened to me in the past. The author of the plug in had written it some kind of way that, when you try to delete it from the server, it won't because they did some tricky stuff to force you to keep the plug in on the server, so they can get a link from you...

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I see what you mean. For the home page the mark-up is
    HTML Code:
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
    <head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
    <title></title>
    so for some reason get_bloginfo('name') isn't working or it's empty.

The post titles work OK

If you go to "Settings" i.e. wp-admin/options-general.php
    you should see a list of General Settings the first of which is Site Title
    is that empty? If so try adding your site title and Save Changes

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something New:
    I called my webhost and they say the title is coming up fine at the top of the browser for them. If I use private browsing on Fire Fox the title shows at the top of the browser, but when I turn private browsing off, the title won't show.

I typed in some letters into blog tilte and tagline but they don't show in normal browsing.

I'm going to go to the local library and see what I find.

Thanks,

Chris

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clarification:
    In FF private browsing, the title of the home page doesn't come up, but all the other pages work fine in private browsing.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris77; Aug 30, 2010 at 11:12. Reason: sp

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mittineague, DrewryMedia,
    I went to the library. On IE, when you visit the home page the first time the correct title appears at the to of the browser. But the home page title at the top of the browser every time after the first visits shows the web address as the title, and the title of all the other pages come up fine every time. So I would guess in some way there's a problem with the home page - maybe lack of the plugin, meaning all in one seo pack maybe created this problem.

Chris

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There's a possibility that there's a conflict being caused by another plugin that aisop "fixed" while it was active.

I know its a PITA but you could try deactivating all your plugins to see if its then OK. If it is, reactivate them one-by-one (or in small batches) until it breaks again until you pinpoint the problem plugin.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mittineague,
    That strategy is a good idea, but I don't have any other plugins for the site. I reinstalled all in one seo pack and the title shows on the home page. Do you think there's a setting in all in one seo pack that has to be turned on before deactivating or removing all in one seo pack?

Chris

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mittineague, DrewryMedia,
    You know what it may be - it may be I never learned how to add a title and description to a wordpress page (with out the all in one seo pack pluin plugged in). I noticed that when I plugged in the all in one plugin that the fileds for tilte and description were there at the bottom of the the wordpress editor for the home page under the heading "All in one SEO pack".

So if you have no plugins, and you are writing your first page (not post) of a fresh wordpress plugin, how do you ad a title and description so the title and description will show up as meta tags. Don't forget the title and description for each page will be different, so the blog title and tagline fields in general won't help because they are applied to all the posts and pages. You also can't use typed in meta tags in header.php because that will also apply to all of the pages and posts.

Thanks,

Chris

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No other plugins? Seems unusual but I guess that's because I have quite a few.

I deactivated my aiosp and went to New Page and got this

AFAIK the Title should show as the page's title both in the page and the browser title bar. If you go to Edit Page does it show titles?

The description using Custom Fields is a bit trickier. The codex page I found doesn't use it for a meta tag in the head, http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Custom_Fields but I'm guessing there's a way to do so.

As for putting the code into the templates, as long as you do it right WordPress will use the right stuff like it does for every other reused template file.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mitt,
    Were gaining ground. I forgor about custom fileds. Ok I'll figure out how to ad description there - ithink someohow I do it in php admin at my webhost. BUT, I do have a title in the top field - even when the plug is deactivated, yet it doesn't show. I'll let you into my wordpress for the site later on.

Chris

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mittineague,
    How do I add a new custom filed? I see in you image the drop down showing "description". I used the add new field function and typed in "description" not expecting anything to happen and description is there now in the drop down and for the home page for description I put in "test" but test doesn't show anywhere. I think this may be a core problem becuase I activated a default template and "description" was there but that was the "description" I just added - there were no default custom filed and what was also there was the custom fields that were programmed for me a while back - topleft and topright.

Thanks,

Chris

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    wp_title() gets the "blog name" but the_title() gets the page/post "title".

I guess in blogs that have posts wp_title() is the preferred choice. But where you are using it more as a CMS for pages only, the_title() should work OK.

I've never used custom fields so except for pointing to the codex I can't really help much.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mittineague,
    You know I probably lost som of that sort of title coding when I deleted the comments file from the theme. Thanks for the help, you definitely got me halfway. The reason I avoid plugins is becuase they slow down the loading of my site. I'm tired of having to baby sit all in one seo pack; I just found out all of their 20 .mo files are unnecessary.

Thanks,

Chris

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If your blog is in English or you don't mind reading English all the translation files are unnecessary. But if you want to work in another language they're a big help.

Imagine if the default language of WordPress was something like Chinese. I bet you would be glad to have a all_in_one_seo_pack-en_US.mo file then