SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw not a change in my PR when I was added to dmoz for a month and a half, and it had little effect of my search results of my keywords on google. The directories help, nontheless, but not any more than other sites.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Japhi

I never asked for advice. I asked for the same proof that you demand of anyone who posts on this forum. After all, we can't be spreading untrue information can we?

Without making any changes on my page or aquiring any incoming links that I know of my pagerank went from 5 to 6.

Is it that hard to believe that somewhere in the Google alogorithm certain preferential weighting is given to one of Googles most important partners?
    No on page changes will change your PR, PR is based purely on links. You should read this:

http://www-db.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html

To get a better understand of Google.

Yahoo and DMOZ giving special benefit is one of those things that you can neither prove nor disprove, unless you work for Google. I have read, either on Google's site or in an interview with an employee, that DMOZ and Yahoo give you no special bonus, additionally common sense says that they don't give any special bonus. If rankings are handed out arbitrarily it defeats the system, and Google is not the type of company to do that. The only "bonus" is that if you're listed in Yahoo or DMOZ Google will pick up your site on the next crawl, it will not rank your site any higher because of your listing.

If you don't want to believe me, I don't care - I think most people here would say I know more about search engines than you, but I can't prove this.

The reasons you cannot prove it are numerous.

1. We never know what our PR actually is. The Toolbar is simply a guestimate and especially when you get to higher levels things vary widely. The difference between a 1 and a 2 is relatively small, the difference between a 6 and a 7 is exponentially larger. So without knowing if you're a high 6 or a low 6 there is no way of doing any sort of algebraic equation to figure out exactly how much rank you get from each link.

2. An increase in the number of links to your page is not the only thing that can increase your pagerank. An increase in the number of links to someone that links to someone that links to someone that links to someone that links to someone that links to you, could also raise your page rank.

3. PageRank is relative, there is only so much PageRank on the Internet. Its a pizza that doesn't change in size, what changes is your slice of it. This is an important concept to remember because a PageRank fluctuation could be caused by your competitors taking larger slices, or by them taking smaller slices. The addition of a new site also increases competition for the pizza and in general makes everyone's slice slightly smaller.

So trying to figure out exactly how much you get from any certain link is impossible.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen

Yahoo and DMOZ giving special benefit is one of those things that you can neither prove nor disprove, unless you work for Google. I have read, either on Google's site or in an interview with an employee, that DMOZ and Yahoo give you no special bonus, additionally common sense says that they don't give any special bonus.

Common sense tells me that Google would give preferential treatment to it's most important partner.

At work I tell all prospective commercial clients that they will recieve the best rate, that they are all equal. In reality, my most important clients are given preferential pricing/treatment for obvious reasons.

I never claimed I could prove that a Yahoo link increased Google PR, but that was my experience. The same week that I recieved my Yahoo listing my "estimated" pagerank went from 5 to 6. For some reason the Google toolbar thought that my page was more relevant after my listing in Yahoo.

Aspen, you definately know more about search engines than I do, but don't expect me to take everything you say as truth, like some of the clones that parrot you on this forum.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course a link from Yahoo increased your PR - but it won't increase it any more than an equivalent link.

Also Google only updates PR once a month, that it happened the same week you got listed in Yahoo proves (yes, the P word) that you are incorrect (or atleast that your observations were incorrectly attributed).

Google updates on a monthly cycle. They do a deep crawl and then 3 weeks later publish an updated index. When your link was added to Yahoo Google had no knowledge of it, and assuming that very week Google updated (thus increasing your PageRank from 5-6) then the week after that Google would have spidered and noticed your new link from Yahoo, 3 weeks later Google would have published it's updated index, which would be the first index to take your Yahoo link into account.

Your change from 5-6 was due to additional PageRank acquired directly or indirectly in the period 3-6 weeks before you got your Yahoo listing.

In other words if your PageRank changed the same week you got your Yahoo listing its impossible for it to have been from the Yahoo listing. Additionally, like I said before, it often takes much more than one additional link to increase your PageRank, at the higher levels, 6-7 for instance, it could take hundreds or thousands depending on quality.

Finally I'm going to give you a friendly warning that calling people parrots isn't very respectful. I know you don't like me, I'm not entirely sure why, maybe it's my sunny disposition. But if you start calling the other members of this forum as a whole parrots or something similar its going to be a problem.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A link from sitepoint's mainpage would help your PR than a link from a deep category in google.