SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

removing unnecessary horizontal scroll bar

Okay, this is not a huge problem but something that I'm finding somewhat annoying and very vexing .
    (I hope I'm posting this in the right forum).

My site has a frameset (navigation frame & main frame). When the main frame is viewed without the frameset, there is no horizontal scroll bar, but when viewed in the frameset, the scroll bar suddenly appears (on some pages). I have reason to believe it may have something to do with IE6 which I'm using (the problem does not occur in Opera 6).

Any ideas what could be going wrong? As far as I can see, my content should fit without a horizontal scroll bar. If you dare to look at my code (and I apologise in advance that it's such a mess, and for my blatant inability to follow the rules of good web design), it's at http://astroguitar.cjb.net.
    (For example, note horizontal scroll bar on "Chord Generator" page but not on "Capo Helper" page).

Well, it's not that big a deal I know, but frustrating all the same!

Suggestions, anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is your code:

<FRAME NAME = "top" SRC="contents.htm" scrolling="no">
    <FRAME NAME = "bottom" SRC="main.htm">

Add in the bit I've put in bold:

<FRAME NAME = "top" SRC="contents.htm" scrolling="no">
    <FRAME NAME = "bottom" SRC="main.htm" scrolling="auto">

This will make the page scroll only if nessecary, if you never want it to scroll, then change auto for no

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your suggestions, but still no joy. I've just tried out both alternatives:
    - if I use "auto", the horizontal scroll bar still appears (even though it shouldn't need to)
    - using "no" indeed removes the horizontal scroll bar, but it unfortunately also removes the vertical one, which I want to keep.

Hmmm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by slp
    using "no" indeed removes the horizontal scroll bar, but it unfortunately also removes the vertical one, which I want to keep.
    Yeah sorry, should've pointed that out.

I copied your source code, and I got the same problem. It's a strange one. Seeing as I created a new frameset for it, I'm guessing the problem is with the actual page, not the frameset. If worst comes to worst, you could create a flat page, and pull the main page through an IFrame. That might sort it. Other than that, I'm at a bit of a loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is a bit of a strange problem and since I suspect it's browser specific (I don't remember the scroll bar being there when I first designed the page in IE5.5), I'd rather not make any major design changes, like getting rid of the frameset (though sometimes it's definitely more trouble than it's worth!). A quick Internet search revealed someone who seemed to have the same problem at another forum (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/foru...rames_P186367/), but they don't seem to have found a solution. But that gave me the idea to ask here, since the Sitepointers have always been extremely helpful to me .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: removing unnecessary horizontal scroll bar

Originally posted by slp
    I have reason to believe it may have something to do with IE6 which I'm using (the problem does not occur in Opera 6).
    Just for the record, tt doesn't happen in IE 5.1 Mac either.
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature