SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you prefer to use a PC or a Mac for web design and development?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • PC every time baby!

23 37.70%
  • PC, but they're not perfect ...

11 18.03%
  • Indifferent

4 6.56%
  • Mac, but they're not perfect ...

2 3.28%
  • A P-what? Give me my Mac!

17 27.87%
  • PC, but not windows

4 6.56%
  • Mac, but not MacOS

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PC or Mac?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree

Yup I agree as well, usually if you know the convension of a certain operating system you are efficent on that system.

The first time I got my Tosh notebook, being an ex-macuser, I had such a hard time fiddling with Windows but as I got used to the shortcuts and the GUI I became as fast and as efficent as when I was working with the Mac. And vice versa, I had a friend who became a mac user and she was quite confused with the Mac's GUI at first but became proficent after using it for a few weeks.

----

On another note, Flash runs great on my Tosh/XP setup so I'm happy as a pig in mud. At the moment at least even my Mac friends are moaning about how slow MX Flash is on OSX so they stick to 9 which seem to be just as rock solid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PC every time - (Win2kPro) - Although thats mainly because I haven't used any type of 'Apple' product for about 7 years. My system never crashes, and I basically never reboot even with my minimal amount of RAM (256 megs DDR)
    kyle//at//retorikmedia//dot//com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer the Mac G4 with 17" studio display
    That's the best way to design.

I like designing on a Mac better. I do pagemaker and photoshop on a mac.

i do have a pc laptop that i use at home but i'm buying a powerbook next year when i go off to college.

the only thing i prefer to do on a pc is programming. =/ and i'm not a programming fanatic...
    The Internet is prettier on a Mac.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heh, I was at a multimedia meeting the other night, i'm looking into doing a desgin course -- but they had the almight G4 mac all setup and ready to go... pity that is crashed/froze two times just viewing websites and quicktime movies within 1/2 hour needless to say, the organizers bought in to *real* machine right after that

But the the actual box looks great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by platinum
    heh, I was at a multimedia meeting the other night, i'm looking into doing a desgin course -- but they had the almight G4 mac all setup and ready to go... pity that is crashed/froze two times just viewing websites and quicktime movies within 1/2 hour needless to say, the organizers bought in to *real* machine right after that

But the the actual box looks great
    Where those Macs running OS9? If so I could understand, but if it was X I doubt it would crash at all.

Its unfortunate for Apple that many graphics pros seem to be slowing bleeding to the PC - the multimedia people in my company are now slowly phasing out their Macs in favor of Win 2000/XP systems.

Macs are still very strong in publishing and print though, no change in that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Adryanv

Where those Macs running OS9? If so I could understand, but if it was X I doubt it would crash at all.
    Yeah it was 9.2 I think

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Adryanv

Its unfortunate for Apple that many graphics pros seem to be slowing bleeding to the PC - the multimedia people in my company are now slowly phasing out their Macs in favor of Win 2000/XP systems.
    They've only got themselves to blame! You can't work with a machine when the old OS is unstable and the new one doesn't support your s/w ....

G

Ps - if anyone followed the saga with my G4, the latest update is I'm not even using it at the moment and it's due for a complete re-install on Monday! Mind you, I do have a 23" studio screen, psychedelic ... it's a freakin' cinema!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sorta hate the mac v pc question.

But I'll give it a quick go...

If I were an accountant or pursued some other similarly dreary life existance, and I only red books from the New York Times Best Sellers list, I'd probably be using windows.

I think Macs proably crash more often than PCs, but usually thats due to not understanding the system or how to quickly fix it. Most instability can be repaired with a few short keyboard commands and a restart.

When my Mac crashes, I take a break and rest my eyes. That way I won't be blind in 25 years when I'm 50.

However, for all the times my mac has crashed, I've never suffered from a meltdown or a VIRUS! Never lost work. And I've been treating my mac like a work horse, doing everything from web design to music.

Jenny

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ps,

just kidding.

most of my friends are on pcs, and none of them are accountants!!!
    Cheers,
    jen

In a big, big house, with lotsa lotsa room
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most PC vs Mac discussion usually degenerate into a frenzy of person attacks. This has been perhaps the most polite discussion I've ever seen on this topic.

It crashes ALL the time (I mean at least three times a day)
    I'd be frustrated with a machine that crashed that much. However, I'd like to reiterate what others have said: that your problems are most likely due to something conflicting in your OS, such as 3rd party Extensions or corrupt fonts.

I work all day on my G4 here at work, then go home and work some more hours on my G4 there. My machines probably crash about 3 times a month, at most.

I formerly supervised a department of 8 Macintosh operators. Any hiccup in a machine was brought to my attention. Again, we didn't experience any of the instability such as you are.

The most frequent thing that causes my Mac to crash: Java Applets. (I hate them!) But when using Quark, Phototshop, etc., hardly ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup yup

I agree. I would take the GUI conventions of OS 9 over Windows anytime but I also like the speed and stability of XP. Now if only OSX would mature a bit and have more web development apps available (if you are a Coldfusion or ASP developer your high and dry with a Mac) I'm sure with its stability and great GUI it would be a fantastic platform to work with.

In the hardware side, I feel that Apple should lower their prices a bit. Apple hardware is quite expensive but not as fast as the PC and this has been proven by many independent sources (I can post the links if you guys want). Yes true, the iMac,eMac and ibooks are quite resonable but the Powermacs and Powerbooks prices are crazy!!! The prices instantly puts off a good number of potential customers. When I was a Macuser I would try to convert people to use the Mac but they always back off every time they see the price. Oh well...

---

P.S. A lot of very mature people in this thread! Its refreshing to see that a topic like can be discussed in a logical, calm and polite atmosphere yay us!

SitePoint Enthusiast ListerMint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MacAddict weighing in!

I cut my teeth on an Apple IIgs and I have had a 128ke, Classic, LCIII, 575, 6230, 9500, iMac G3 (which I am using right now). I have a PC which has evolved over the years from a 386 to Pentium III. My preference is without question the Mac. I have far less trouble with my Mac and when I do it is MUCH easier to fix than my PC.

I also believe that any web page designer worth his or her "salt" would have both platforms and write their code for both. A lot of extra work? You bet! But 7% of the browsers who access my website use a Mac. That translates to several thousand who would otherwise be frustrated because they can't view your site the way it was intended.

My vote: use both

ListerMint
    Oh! Drat these computers. They're so naughty and so complex. I could just pinch them.

Visit Lint's Prints

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I also believe that any web page designer worth his or her "salt" would have both platforms and write their code for both."

I wholeheartely agree. Although I "switched" to the PC I still keep my good old Tibook handly whenever I need to do Mac testing. If only the current Mac software emulators on the PC could do OS 9/X. I have checked the net and it seems that only 8.1 was supported.

I know that Virtual PC is avaible for the PC but alas it only emulates the other flavors of Windows/Linux.If only they can make a Mac version...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd agree here. I use both (despite getting frustrated with my Mac). In fact, it's essential to test on Macs.

G

public static void brain Gybbyl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, this is weak. If you are going to do a poll like this, you need to list the other "better" OSs on the poll.

Im talking about Linux and Unix, baby.

I'll take my Slack box over my xpBox anyday, guys.

Just a thought. I used to love PC, but i could never lower myself to using a MAC. OSX doesnt count, because its just Unix with a gay make-over.

Oh, yea, they are more stable, too.

Ryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Erm, PC, but not Windows -- I think you'll find it's there. I'm not going to list every OS under the sun!!

Edit:

And the question actually refers to h/w, not s/w.
    Last edited by greg.harvey; Aug 8, 2002 at 03:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Boy :)

Just a thought. I used to love PC, but i could never lower myself to using a MAC. OSX doesnt count, because its just Unix with a gay make-over.
    Ohhhh Flamebate