SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Relation between google's directory and dmoz's directory

Is google's directory directly etched from dmoz's directory? I've been out of dmoz's directory for over a month and a half but I'm still in google's.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know...

Google uses the DMOZ directory. However, google updates its directory very rarely. If your listing at DMOZ changes, it may take a long time for the change to show up in the google directory.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Archbob,

Just a quick question, why did you pull out of DMOZ? I know that you had your differences with them, so I guess that you resigned asw editor taking your site as well? Just curious.

In any case, the point about still being listed in the Google directory is very interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm still an editor for them, but I'm not trying to get my site in anymore as it doesn't really help my google ranking anyways. Editing is okay I guess. I don't like the way dmoz is run by meta-editors but that won't cause me to resign from being an editor.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again,

I know your views on ODP from my participation in the great 'DMOZ is cheated' discussion.

But is it not worth keeping in DMOZ in any case? Even if it is doing no real good for Google, it is certainly doing no harm. And maybe people will find you via the DMOZ route.

(Although from your comments on the thread I put up about listing competitors on DMOZ, you are very sceptical of any real value for ODP.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would welcome a listing with open arms, but the problem is, they won't list me. Check out my thread at the ODP public forums about my site status http://www.resource-zone.com/showfla...b=5&o=0&fpart=

If you take a look at the category I'm submitting too and what its supposed to include and then look at the top sites in that category, I don't think they have a valid enough reason to keep me out.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked it out, I see your frustration. Have you been able to find out who the editor *really* is and which is their own site?

It could be the case that the arguments presented in the Forum were valid, or there may be more at play. Still, it seems like you are in a very competitive field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, checking google's mirror servers I'm #9 on google for the term "freebies" for next month so I'm happy for now.

If their arguments were valid then most of that category should be deleted, which I don't think should happen. All link pages incorporate alot of ads into their content, the editor of that category, or a meta editor probably has a competing site.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is easy to find out a lot of this stuff, it just takes some detective work and the application of a process of elimination.

I am actually trying to do this with some competitors who played around with lists of related links on Alexa for a number of sites that we have listed as related links. I am actually on the warpath about this! But the good news is that I have it down to two possible candidates. The even better news is that I think I know which one it was and by conincidence one of their direct competitors just applied for a listing on DMOZ. Needless to say they did not have to wait 5 months for a listing. I have now got to work through Alexa and make new changes. I do not have time for all of this!

Anyway, well done on the Google listing. Looking at the numbers of searches you could come up well for traffic. Good luck!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google usually updates monthly, thought not always at the same time as when their undate their index.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums