Hybrid View

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb creating /writing content

Hi -

I run a community for actors (and I'm an actor as well). I want to start generating more content/ articles (thus page views) but I'm not sure how to come up with articles or content. I have a few up there now that I've 'borrowed' with permission from other acting sites, but I don't just want to continue with that.

My question is how does one generate content for their site within their field? So I'm an actor, do I just start to think what other actors would like to read about that I know of and can write about? What if I'm not the best writer for my site? What topics do I write about specifically? Ugghh, so many questions....!

Thanks for the input.

Josh

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Josh,

I'd be tempted to advertise on your site for fellow actors to contribute copy for you, otherwise you'll end up with a site which is a) impossible to keep fresh (loads of work for you) and completely from your perspective (not to degrade your own style or opinions).

I worked on a similar community site a while back and I remember how it began with 2 or 3 regular contributors. After 6 months it was huge. Loads of content.

You could also try approaching similar sites for content, in exchange for a link.

Finally, try newsgroups and message boards for actors, see if anyone on there will help. I can guarantee you there'll be a response, most people love to help the community they're part of.

hth.
    entropy

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Entropy -

Great reply! Yea, I didn't want to be left with coming up with all the content myself for those very reasons, and then wasn't sure how to proceed.

When you say approach similar sites to write in exchange for a link, do you mean have them write original content for my site? Cause I already have some syndicated content from other sites.

Also, I want to advertise on my site and newsgroups, etc. for actors to write content but how do I phrase something like that? "Write for our site and receive a free widget!"? And how do I expand on that on a more detailed page: "We're looking for writers to contribute articles for our site...." Do I specify topics? What if the article isn't very good?!

Thanks again.

Josh