SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your mission should you choose to accept it ...

I have been asked to provide a quote for search engine submission for a web site. Never done this before

The site is an for an Australian manufacturer in the marine industry who does export around the world. As well as my fee, I want to quote them the cost of paid inclusions where necessary, but in order of priority, so they can decide how much they want to spend.

I'm going to start coming up with the plan now, but there are many regulars here who are far more knowledgable on all this voodoo than me. So please list in order of priority who I need to submit to.

The site is a small one. There is a splash page with not much info on it (cringe) and only five pages of content including one that is just an info request / contact form.

For example, in terms of getting into MSN search results, should I recommend they pay for Inkomi search submit (and if so, how many pages, all of them?) or pay for Look Smart? Inkomi's price is reasonable at around $39 per URL, but looksmart is expensive at a min spend of $150. And then there is loolsmart Australia which charge AU$440 per url (approx US$250).

I can submit to Yahoo AU & NZ for free (no guarantee to when the site gets reviewed) or pay US$299 for express submission. I don't know whether the client would want to spend that money, but would you put yahoo above inkomi or looksmart in priority?

Hmm, any other paid listings I should look at? Free submissions and recirpical linking I am fine on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I would say, first we need to know our budget?

Then I would attack in this order.
    1. DMOZ (Yes, it's free, but submit soon as it can take awhile)
    2. Google (Free again, we're off to a good start)
    2b. Google Adwords (Can be a real good deal, but figure this in at about $300 USD a year)
    3. Yahoo (that just took $300 USD from our budget, unless you can get in for free, good luck)
    4. Overture (Yep, pay the pimp if you have the money, I figure this to be another $300 USD a year or more if you want)
    5. Look-not-so-smart only if you want
    6. Inktomi (although they lost AOL, but hey it's only $39 bucks)

TOTAL SPENT
    ----------
    ----------
    about 1000 bucks (cheap considering it's marketing)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I've also got:

Teoma/Ask Jeeves $30
    Lycos : $18 joining / $12 annual

I'm going to put them into some sort of priority list - that's the point, I don't know what the client wants to spend at this stage because they are a client of a client I'm really doing this to look after my client as much as her end client.

The other thing I would really like to know is what the difference is between a looksmart listing and a inkomi listing vis-a-vis MSN - because there sure is a heck of a difference in the cost!

Additionally, I don't think there is any need for this website to be going into ppc advertising because they are in a very specialized field and there are only a hadfull of websites competing.

<edit>
    OK - I should have remembered from reading here before that looksmart entries appear as "web directory" entries on msn and come before the "web page" listings from inkomi
    Last edited by freakysid; Jul 25, 2002 at 19:46.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teoma/Ask Jeeves you can get int more easily for free, I wounldn't pay for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be doing the same thing next week... also a product the client is selling that is not exactly a mass market

what are some good aust. search engines to add to?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Submit to LookSmart AU. I think the AU version is NOT using that damn PPC model, in whichcase you can pay the money and get all the traffic you need. I cannot recommend LookSmart US - it'd be easier just paying Overture.

Yahoo of course.

AltaVista - you could get in for free easily, but it is the next important one.

Lycos - see above

Teoma

Inktomi

Inktomi is last because thanks to AOL dropping them they really don't have a good reach anymore.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately go for Looksmart AU. It costs me about 150 (AU $438) per month. I doubt a site starting out will be getting the kind of traffic I am, but still, I pay 12 times more than you'll have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys thanks for the recommendations. Yeah I am leaning heavily towards looksmart AU now. AUD $440 (about USD $240) as a flat fee - and they really do seem to feed the big AU search engines (through telstra, goeureka, supposedly AOL AU - but I question that with the new google arrangement). Kind of ironic the pricing of looksmart given they are an Australian company (what the market will bear and all that I guess). I remember Evan Thornley from my uni days as an economics student. ******

I think I might put looksmart AU ahead of Yahoo.com on the priority list.

I agree with you aspen, altavista and inkimo paid submission it's just a question of not wanting to wait the couple of months it takes to index you via free submission/link spidering.
    Last edited by freakysid; Jul 26, 2002 at 07:18.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freakysid
    I remember Evan Thornley from my uni days as an economics student. ******
    Ah yes, the co-founder and CEO I believe. If it was him that came up with the PPC model, then yes, he is a ******.

Good job they don't use that word much in America or Canada, otherwise it would be banned