SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Internet Business Optimizer KCgame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    935
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What is the major CSS differences between FF, IE and Chrome?

    Hi,

    It has been a while since I have created my last site using CSS. With the current browsers - IE 8, FF 3.6 and Google Chrome, do they still react differently to CSS 2.0?

    Your comments is very much appreciated, thank you.

  2. #2
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    358
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that, while IE8 is by far more standards complaint than its predecessors, It still lacks several css 2+ selectors and has incomplete implementations. e.g. lack of :before, :after, :focus, etc.

    I can't seem to consider IE8 in the same level as Firefox and Chrome. I'm looking forward to IE9 though - the problem is that it's probably only going to be widely used a lot of years after the official release.

  3. #3
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,862
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    See http://www.quirksmode.org/css/contents.html for a comparison chart that includes 16 different browser versions for CSS 2.1 and CSS 3.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  4. #4
    Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,892
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cssExp View Post
    I'm looking forward to IE9 though - the problem is that it's probably only going to be widely used a lot of years after the official release.
    Yes - stupid bludding minimum system requirements - if Opera can make the best browser in the world run on Windows 2000, there's no excuse for Microsoft to require Vista other than commercial exploitation.

  5. #5
    Internet Business Optimizer KCgame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    935
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your comments =) felgall, the chart is what I am looking for! Thank you so much.

  6. #6
    The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Paul O'B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hampshire UK
    Posts
    40,481
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cssExp View Post
    I would say that, while IE8 is by far more standards complaint than its predecessors, It still lacks several css 2+ selectors and has incomplete implementations. e.g. lack of :before, :after, :focus, etc.
    IE8 supports :before :after and :focus and in facts supports all the css2.1 specification - I think you must have meant to say IE7

    Not to say that IE8 isn't buggy on a lot of occasions though

  7. #7
    Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,892
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul O'B View Post
    IE8 supports :before :after and :focus and in facts supports all the css2.1 specification - I think you must have meant to say IE7
    According to the link that Felgall posted - which is usually pretty accurate on these things, IE8 has no support for :before or :after.

  8. #8
    The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Paul O'B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hampshire UK
    Posts
    40,481
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    According to the link that Felgall posted - which is usually pretty accurate on these things, IE8 has no support for :before or :after.
    According to the Sitepoint reference (of which I wrote half) IE8 does have support (I remember testing the bugs.)

    Try this in IE8 for yourself if you don't believe me

    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <title>Untitled Document</title>
    <style type="text/css">
    div:before {
        content:'I guess That this must be '
    }
    div:after {
        content:'some kind of mistake then :)'
    }
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>
    <div></div>
    </body>
    </html>
    The quirksmode site also shows ie8 has having no support for :focus but that works also. Maybe he tested the properties with the double colon syntax which Ie8 doesn't support but that's css3.

  9. #9
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    358
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul O'B View Post
    According to the Sitepoint reference (of which I wrote half) IE8 does have support (I remember testing the bugs.)

    Try this in IE8 for yourself if you don't believe me

    ....

    The quirksmode site also shows ie8 has having no support for :focus but that works also. Maybe he tested the properties with the double colon syntax which Ie8 doesn't support but that's css3.
    Ah that would make sense, I don't mostly use :focus and I hadn't needed a reason to use :before and :after for IE8 - so I mentioned it from memory of reading it somewhere before, I guess it is indeed from the quirksmode site - not sure. Thanks for clearing that up Paul

  10. #10
    Internet Business Optimizer KCgame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    935
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul O'B View Post
    IE8 supports :before :after and :focus and in facts supports all the css2.1 specification - I think you must have meant to say IE7

    Not to say that IE8 isn't buggy on a lot of occasions though
    Hey, Paul! I am so happy to hear from you =) I have benefited from your CSS teachings 4 years ago when I was creating my browser online game! So good to see you are still helping people out at SP

    Have a great weekend!

  11. #11
    The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Paul O'B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hampshire UK
    Posts
    40,481
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cssExp View Post
    so I mentioned it from memory of reading it somewhere before, I guess it is indeed from the quirksmode site - not sure. Thanks for clearing that up Paul
    No problem and to be honest I had to go back and double check as there are just too many things to remember these days and the quirksmode site is seldom incorrect.

    Quote Originally Posted by KCgame
    Hey, Paul! I am so happy to hear from you =) I have benefited from your CSS teachings 4 years ago when I was creating my browser online game! So good to see you are still helping people out at
    Thanks and yes I'm still here when time allows

  12. #12
    Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    8,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It hasn't been mentioned elsewhere in the thread so I thought I would highlight the following website to assist you KCgame (as it's pretty useful for browser support): http://www.webdevout.net/ In addition to covering HTML, CSS and the DOM, it's actually a lot more comprehensive (though needs a few updates) than what quirks-mode or any of the other websites around the web offer. I regularly use it to get an idea of how the major browsers will hand the code I throw in it's direction.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •