SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How important is this factor?

Referrring to this article and a few others from promotionbase, how important is

1. moving your important body text nearer the top of the document.

2. Staying close to the root domain
    From the articles, I get the impression that these are important stuff, but I also tend to think that factor #2 is not that much of a big deal.

Anyway, my main concern is #1. Any word on that?

Thanks
    asT.

SitePoint Enthusiast Sharon & Roy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Acquiring High Rankings Is ALL About Links And Linking (Proper Linking)

Originally posted by astericks

Referrring to this article and a few others from promotionbase, how important is

quote:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    1. moving your important body text nearer the top of the document.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello astericks,

How important ANY particular SEO technique is to us or to anyone is dependent upon our or their perspective.

We look at the BIG Picture of SEO when determining the importance of any one technique.

So having said that, if you're after a #1 listing for the keyword ... health ... then that technique is not very important at all.

But, if you are trying to rank well for a not so popular term, then that technique could mean the difference of a few higher ranking positions.

2. Staying close to the root domain
    Here again, it's all about your objective and perspective.

An example we can show you is this page which is 5 levels down from the root ...

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cclergy/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_17041998_directory-for-catechesis_en.html

If someone doesn't think that a deep subdirectory page can't produce a top ranking or even a #1 ranking for a very competitive keyword phrase, then look at this page located five levels deep.

It is currently at #1 out of 3,630,000 pages for the query ... General Directory ... (It is currently a PageRank5 and currently displays 44 Backward Links)

From the articles, I get the impression that these are important stuff, but I also tend to think that factor #2 is not that much of a big deal.

The KEY to getting your pages ranked high is to create quality (non spam) pages with LOTS in Backward Links from authoritive and important (a.k.a. high PageRank) pages.

Getting high rankings is NOT so much about what is ON THE PAGE as it is about what is OFF THE PAGE (a.k.a. Backward Links with keywords in the Anchor Tag Text).
    Call For A FREE 1 Hour SEO Consultation 760-378-2539 (Pacific)
    Want To Learn All About Search Engine Optimization? We Teach A 6
    Week Online SEO Class - There Is So Much More To SEO Than Just
    Meta Tags ::: http://www.iwon.net/seo/class-description/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How important is this factor?

Originally posted by astericks

Thanks
    asT.
    I can give you some information regarding google, but I can't guarantee its accuracy. This is from my experience only.

It is more important that the relevant info takes up a good proportion of your page. For instance, it is better to have 400 words of relevant information on a page only than 400 words of relevant information and another 600 of irrelevant information.

Google pank rank increases if the page is the root on the domain, and if it is linked to by many other pages on your site. For example, your main page is your root, and it is linked to by all of your other pages. This means it gets a very high page rank. Your archives page (just an example) is also linked to by all pages on your site, but it is not on your root. It received a pank rank slightly below. Any particular article on your site is linked to by only one or two links on your site, and so each article will only have a relatively small page rank. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, since your articles usually are more targetted and relevant.

--

I have only recently discovered the importance of interior linking but now that I have hundreds of pages indexed at google, I now realise that internal linking affects page rank greatly. Even when two pages are in the same directory on the server, the one that has more links to it from other pages has a much higher page rank. What directory it is in counts for very little.

I think this is good. It's common sense, since logically that page should be visited more often, therefore it is more important.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main reason you want relevant content near the top is if your site is obscenely large (100k plus, I think Google's limit is 110k) then search engines will cut off after a certain limit. So it'd be better for them to cut off on something off than your keyword rich content.

For the most part though this is a non-issue.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt either of those issues will be that much of importance. The main thing is backward links to your site and getting your page fully spidered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, thanks for the very informative replies. I'll be doing some more reading in the next few days so I expect to maybe find a better way to judge my options regarding SE0.

The main reason you want relevant content near the top is if your site is obscenely large
    That's awesome. thanks.

asT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget this applies to your links too!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Archbob
    I doubt either of those issues will be that much of importance. The main thing is backward links to your site and getting your page fully spidered.
    Forward links are also important.

For example, I doubt that I have any incoming (backward) links to my actual links page. But my links page has a large number of outgoing links to other high ranked joke sites. As it turns out, my links page has a surprisingly high page rank - only one below my front page.

PS. looking forward to reading aspen's book.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually thats not so surprising, the way google works, you main page(domain) has a certain pagerank and each page under that same domain that the main page directly links to has a pagerank of x-1 . Thats the way it was with my site and several other sites I went to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj

Forward links are also important.

For example, I doubt that I have any incoming (backward) links to my actual links page. But my links page has a large number of outgoing links to other high ranked joke sites. As it turns out, my links page has a surprisingly high page rank - only one below my front page.

PS. looking forward to reading aspen's book.
    Thats not accurate.

Google view pages on a page by page basis, not on a sitewide basis. Your links page has plenty of incoming links:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...com%2Flinks%2F

Think about it? If outgoing links help it'd defeat the whole purpose of the system. The only engine that analyzes outbound links like that is Teoma, and that is because they look for two types of sites, relevant sites and resource sites. To be a resource site you need to have links to relevant sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Archbob
    Actually thats not so surprising, the way google works, you main page(domain) has a certain pagerank and each page under that same domain that the main page directly links to has a pagerank of x-1 . Thats the way it was with my site and several other sites I went to.
    If the pages haven't been spidered yet they have no pagerank at all, that is just google guessing about it with the toolbar.

If they have been spidered then its just a coincidence. Because of how people build their navigation and file structure pagerank often sifts down like that - however every page is treated separately and so this isn't done on purpose, it just happens to work out like that.

I actually have some pages on my literature site ranked as high as my home page.