SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google redirecting to country domain?

Is anyone else getting this?

If I type google.com, I'm redirected to google.ca.

I've tried deleting my cookies & looking into their preferences but no luck.

Any ideas how I can get rid of this "feature"?

SitePoint Enthusiast goldrake75's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google redirects to your country domain according to your IP.
    you can get rid of this "feature" using a software that anonymize your IP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Google redirecting to country domain?

Originally posted by LunaC
    Is anyone else getting this?

If I type google.com, I'm redirected to google.ca.

I've tried deleting my cookies & looking into their preferences but no luck.

Any ideas how I can get rid of this "feature"?
    Did you just notice it now, or did you switch providers? It's been doing this since before the Olympics. I originally thought it was just some promotion.

How come you want to change it? At first I was a bit miffed too, but since they don't default to Canadian-listings-only, I gave in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ISP must have changed something. I know they said they were upgrading... must have changed the IP or something. It hadn't done this till this week.

Oh, well. As long as I still get the full listings I guess it doesn't really matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by LunaC
    My ISP must have changed something. I know they said they were upgrading... must have changed the IP or something. It hadn't done this till this week.

Oh, well. As long as I still get the full listings I guess it doesn't really matter.
    Heh, that must have been it. It was a shock to me too, before I got used to biz as usual.

Kinda funny how search engines don't have the "Search only American listings" option -- They just assume the Internet *is* American.

Har!

SitePoint Enthusiast Morris Cornet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do they do that in Canada anyway? (or in Belgium) Since they have two official languages there...

Anyway, personally I really like being redirected to google.nl. They adress me in Dutch, and I really like that. And of course.. as you said, it's really comfortable that the default search option is international.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Morris Cornet
    How do they do that in Canada anyway? (or in Belgium) Since they have two official languages there...
    They default to English and display "Google.ca offered in: French" (hyperlinked) under the search bar.

And of course.. as you said, it's really comfortable that the default search option is international.
    Heh, I'd get the feeling they were saying "You want only Canadian listings? FINE! HERE!" if it defaulted that way.

SitePoint Enthusiast Morris Cornet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Arkham
    Heh, I'd get the feeling they were saying "You want only Canadian listings? FINE! HERE!" if it defaulted that way.
    You wouldn't expect that the search default is set to National only at local versions of any search engine, would you?
    Then I have something for you.
    http://www.nl.altavista.com
    You wouldn't be able to read it, but trust me: "Zoekresultaten" just below the search query bar means "get search results". "Nederland" the checked thing after it means "The Netherlands" and "wereldwijd" means "worldwide". THIS is what I call annoying, especially at the time they auto-redirected me to it. Happily, they stopped redirecting me. (And happily, I discovered Google )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, Yeah, I thought some sites used to default to local. I think maybe AltaVista originally did too for Canada.

EDIT: Yep, still does, but only if you go manually to altavista.ca

sigh... I miss AltaVista everytime I run into an SGF (Stupid Google Feature), such as:

"Well, we're ignoring the ".com" in your "whatsite.com" because we're lazy". Damnit it, if I put something in quotes, you better look for it.

Dang Google can be annoying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Arkham
    Kinda funny how search engines don't have the "Search only American listings" option -- They just assume the Internet *is* American.

Har!
    Not really. Since the majority of search engines are based in the U.S., it isn't that unusual, it's normal. Google, for example, is based in Mountain View, Ca. So they create the "normal" version for where they are based, which happens to be the U.S. yet provide versions for people outside the U.S., which is a good gesture, IMO. It certainly makes more since than drawing conclusions where they shouldn't be made.
    Last edited by mjames; Jul 26, 2002 at 20:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames
    It certainly makes more since than drawing conclusions where they shouldn't be made.
    Exactly. Please read my post again if you came to that conclusion. Kindly note that it was all in fun. Hence the wink.

I think everyone knows that the majority of SEs and content/biz sites are based in the U.S. That was the point.

Still, the fact remains that you still don't see "Search Only American Results" on too many SE landing pages. **
    Last edited by Arkham; Jul 29, 2002 at 06:30.