SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile looking for the hexadecimal colors being used by Outlook XP

Hi folks,

I'm looking for the hex-codes of the colors, which outlook xp uses to show that a button is highlighted, or that the mouse is over a button, it's a light blue, but i don't know the exact code unfortunately;(

The other thing i'm searching for is the folder, where the icons of the buttons being used by outlook and other MS Office applications are stored.

Do you know if there is a list or something similar on the web containing the color codes of the buttons and the bordercolors of the buttons, and can you help me in finding these icons on my hdd??

thank you very much, and i hope you understand what i mean in spite of my bad english

BTW.: I don't even know, if that's the right section of the board here, which i've my question posted in, but I hope, it is
    Last edited by Toxical; Jul 24, 2002 at 08:28.
    I beg your pardon for my bad English

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this utility for the colors:

http://download.com.com/3000-2068-23...ml?tag=lst-0-2

If this fails, get a screenshot, zoom in and find the hexcodes [use an image editor to do that, photoshop [if you have it], gimp, irfanview etc etc]

As for the folders, I dont know, but I'm thinking they may be copyrighted, anyone care to comment on that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx I've got Photoshop 7 and just found out, that you can use the eyedropper color picker tool, everywhere in windows not just in Photoshop, so i could just select the tool, open outlook, klick on a button, and i got the color

For the Icons...copyrighted...uh.....might be....haven't thought 'bout that.,...i wanted to use them for an online WYSIWYG editor, and it would be good, to make the interface as simple to use as possible. And this would be achieved by using the same icons as in the windows applications....u know?

Ok, but do you know where I can get them, if i finally have them, I'm gonna right an email to M$ asking them for permission to use them, i can't imagine that they care about it.

But thx anyway for the tip with the color application.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Toxical
    i can't imagine that they care about it.
    better be safe than sorry. You never know when something might crawl up their @$$e5 and they feel like sueing you, though you make only .0001% of the persons ripping them off. You are too small of a fish to fry. I've seen lots of websites using the winXP theme...esp this button:

Very unlikely they'll get after you, but better make everything legit.

Edit : i dont think they have copyright over the use of tht particular color combo though....maybe on the icons.
    Last edited by astericks; Jul 26, 2002 at 00:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, i've send them an email, but I haven't got a reponse yet

If they allow me to use the icons, then you may tell me where i can find them, ok?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be very surprised if you get a response.....Large corporations seem to never reply to their emails.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mvd
    .....Large corporations seem to never reply to their emails.......
    That's a well known bug, isn't it?

We'll see, if i get an answer, i'll post it here, and then you will have to help me out, then you won't have any excuses anymore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, i Just recieved an answer, quite fast, I'd say..
    here it is:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

I understand that you would like information regarding the use of Microsoft icon. I appreciate your interest in the use of Microsoft copyrighted material and look forward to providing you with assistance.

For guidelines on the use of Microsoft copyrighted material, please visit the Copyright Permission Web site at http://www.microsoft.com/permission/

For information and guidelines on the use of Microsoft trademarks and logos, please visit the Trademark Web site at http://www.microsoft.com/trademarks

As it is evident from your e-mail address that you are located in Germany, your best option would be to work with a Representative at the local subsidiary in Germany. They are trained to handle customer service issues in your area.

You may contact the local subsidiary in Germany by calling 01805-251199 Fax 01805-251191. You may also visit their Web site at http://www.microsoft.com/germany/Support/

I hope the information I have provided will assist you with resolving your issue. If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact us again. Have a great day.

Regards,

Antonio
    Microsoft Online Customer Representative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.microsoft.com/permission/...-img.htm#Icons

There you go, all questions answered

If they allow me to use the icons, then you may tell me where i can find them, ok?
    I dont know where to find them, maybe you can get a screenshot and work from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use of our icons is permissible in relation to a training manual or documentation written for and/or about a Microsoft product. In such cases, use of Microsoft icons must be specific to the function of the icon within the Microsoft software, and not used as a graphical element or design for your own purposes
    I'd say that permission works for me.
    But they have to store the icons anywhere don't they?

I found a folder for some lines and some icons as well but not for all. my it be that the icons are hidden in some *.exe or *.dll files?
    Don't have real experiences in finding hidden files

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Toxical
    *.exe or *.dll files?
    Don't have real experiences in finding hidden files
    generally they will be hidden inside dll files, as has been said allready, it would probably be easiest to just take a screenshot of the icons you are after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roger, gonna do it that way.

Thx again for all your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    htmlcenter.com has a HEX color chart labed RGB color chart