I've just launched my site. Initial reception has been good. I hope to get my SE ranking up there within 6 months of efforts (eg. link requests to other sites).
I have a highly targetted audience (people teaching English abroad). I have about 5 ad slots available per page:
- top and bottom banners
- 2 medium size verticals on the left of the interface
- one tower in the main part of the page.
I am currently using all the space for internal promotion and self promotion.
I launched 3 weeks ago and am now getting 300 page views a day (as opposed to zero 21 days ago). 15 people a day are signing up for my newsletter. The newsletter has space for three ads (more like the infomercials that sitepoint's newsletters have) and 6 sponsored links.
I'm confident that I can get a decent amount of traffic within 4-6 months. By decent I mean 100,000 page views a month.
Here are my questions:
1. When should I start advertising? Should I convert over to some affiliate revenue first and then over to ads later?
2. Based on the volume I want to get (100,000/month) can I get ad networks to pay me for multiple ad spots on the pages (eg. if current cpm for a top banner is $1.25 then can I get a total of say $4.00 cpm if I fill up all the 5 ad slots).
3. How do ad slots in newsletters get priced? I have a highly targetted audience...should I seek out advertisers myself and design campaigns for them based on "infomercials" rather than simple graphics?
4. I can base my business in Canada, but much of my audience works abroad...will this affect my acceptance by ad networks?
5. The newsletter is pretty content rich (as much as sitepoint's are)... how many subscribers should I wait for before looking for affiliate or ad revenue?
Thanks in advance for your help!