SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cover Letter/ Curriculum Vitae

Hello,

My names Stuart and im from England. Im looking at a career change and would love to get myself a job in the web design industry.

I have experience in web design (php, html, photoshop, dreamweaver) and i currently have two websites at the moment.

Im looking into doing myself a portfolio as ive been told this is the way to go, but when it comes to applying for jobs im not sure what to put that will make the employer stand up and take note.

Heres a couple of examples of my cover letters...

Dear Paul

Further to your advert on the Jobs-Midlands website I have spoken with Niki who has advised me to email my CV to yourself.

Iím applying for this vacancy as I have a very strong enthusiasm and commitment to graphics and web design and would vastly enjoy the opportunity of having a career that I am extremely passionate about. I currently work for Pola Flooring however Iím eager to work for a company where my hobby and flare for design can become a bigger part of my occupation. I have worked for some high profile companies and as such Iím committed to a very high standard of work. I would be eager to take on board any further training you could offer me to further my career and what I have to offer to both the company and clients.

I am self taught and have a portfolio of 2 online websites to show. I am experienced in Photoshop, Dreamweaver, html, PHP and CSS. I also have some experience in Javascript. Web design has always interested me and as such my knowledge, skill and eye for appropriate designs have continued to grow over the years along with the success of my sites.

My two websites which I have has a hobby are:

www.afootballforum.com Ė A Football Forum is a community that is growing all the time. We already boast 2,000 registered member and over 200,239 posts.

http://www.avillafan.com Ė Avillafan is an Aston Villa fansite which boasts content and a football community. Like A Football Forum it is growing all the time and shows my skills with HTML, Photoshop and CSS with all my work put together in Dreamweaver. Avillafan has a Google pagerank of 3.

I continually update these, giving the sites members and visitors something new to look at, keeping people interested and engaged with a fresh look. I also carry out surveys of the members to gauge their opinions.

Iím very persistent and determined in getting jobs done, Iím capable of working alone as well as with co-workers as I am flexible to my surroundings and find I get on well with other work colleagues and customers. Iím very punctual and keen to maintain gratification in all I do.

I will deliver a high standard of duty to the company and bring a friendly, resolute personality to your team.

I look forward to your response.

Yours faithfully,

Example Two:

Dear Sarah,

RE Application for the position of

Further to your advert on the Job Centre website please find enclosed my curriculum vitae for the application of the above position.

Iím applying for this vacancy as I currently work for Pola Flooring however in the current economic climate the volume of work I am receiving has diminished and Iím eager to move to a company with the capacity to provide me with more hours and I have always looked to work in the type of position you are offering. I have worked for some high profile companies and as such Iím committed to a very high standard of labour. I would be eager to take on board any further training you could offer me to further my career and what I have to offer to both the company and clients.

I am self taught and I do have a portfolio of 2 online websites to show. I have experience in Photoshop, Dreamweaver, html and PHP. I also have experience in some CSS and Javascript. Web design has always interested me since I got my very first PC and got access to the internet.

I started off doing basic designs using Microsoft Frontpage and hosting via Yahoo Geocities. However, I like to think I have learnt a lot and come on hugely since those days. I did look into getting a Microsoft Certified Certificate through online teaching however while doing the course I didnít find it very challenging and it seemed to only work around the knowledge I already have.

Iíve always wanted to work in the web design industry and run two websites as a hobby being:

www.afootballforum.com Ė A Football Forum is a community that is growing all the time. We already boast 2,000 registered member and over 200,239 posts.

http://www.avillafan.com Ė Avillafan is an Aston Villa fansite which boasts content and a football community. Like A Football Forum it is growing all the time and shows my skills with HTML, Photoshop and CSS with all my work put together in Dreamweaver. Avillafan has a Google pagerank of 3.

Iím very persistent and determined in getting jobs done, Iím capable of working alone as well as with co-workers as I am flexible to my surroundings and find I get on well with other work colleagues and customers. Iím very punctual and keen to maintain gratification in all I do.

I will deliver a high standard of duty to the company and bring a friendly, resolute personality to your team.

I look forward to your response.

Yours faithfully,

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Hey avstu,
    Good luck with those (and good on you for attempting to make a change to your career).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I was just wondering if anyone would change anything in either?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi avstu,

I'd be inclined to make them both shorter and snappier, using only positive language. Delete or re-word anything negative. You are on the right track on the enthusiasm and passion front but I'd condense it all and really concentrate on what you can bring to their company, bringing all the important stuff to the top. Showcase your skills and what you achieved on your previous sites, and what you can do for them.

Good luck!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LYKC View Post
    Hi avstu,

I'd be inclined to make them both shorter and snappier, using only positive language. Delete or re-word anything negative. You are on the right track on the enthusiasm and passion front but I'd condense it all and really concentrate on what you can bring to their company, bringing all the important stuff to the top. Showcase your skills and what you achieved on your previous sites, and what you can do for them.

Good luck!
    Well said.

You're wise to explain that you're moving fields but need to sell your strengths as positives, not handicap them by down playing them.

This is not to suggest that you should inflate your background but rather that you need to paint a high level of picture of why I want to hire you at your current level. For example, you call design a hobby but then say you have designed for larger sites; this doesn't correlate.

You should also back off on the thesaurus, the more complex vocabulary at the end doesn't jive with the overall tone of your letter nor does it fit what you mean to say.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow the principle less is more, look to distill why you are different and will be a success.

Also, don't go OTT with the the formalities, personality matters alot in business so don't be hesitant to make your CV stand out

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first started applying for jobs I basically jotted down the name of the site, what it is purpose, technologies used.

Outlined my skills in short bullet point type structure.
    I also offered to work for free. I advertised for loads of jobs but one company took me on on a trainee basis. If I passed I was hired. Giving me a 6 months trial. No gossip talk, formalities, basically getting to the point on what I can do.

Now I have been there for over 2 years. Hope this helps..
    Read my blog...
    Skylight Studios

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is in response to trade in the daily time, on your advertisement for the post of a web designer to serve a small department within the company. My background expert knowledge as it relates directly to your needs and budget is a summary of my review for. I am in search of a goal-oriented position as a web designer in a company renowned. I truly believe that I am a suitable choice for this position.
    Change it according to your need.
    Last edited by ralph.m; Oct 5, 2010 at 00:33. Reason: removed fake signature