SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does code like this effect seo?

I am using ajax for pagination (with css)
    now the code pagination codes look like this
    echo "<a class=\"next\" style=\"cursorointer\" onClick=\"ajaxfunction(($start - $how_many),$num_pages)\">&lt;Previous</a>";

it doesnt have href in anchor tool

as search engine bots largely depends on link,will it effect seo

is it poor than doing
    echo "<a href='#' class=\"next\" style=\"cursorointer\" onClick=\"ajaxfunction(($start - $how_many),$num_pages)\">&lt;Previous</a>";

will it effect seo?

Motivated Procrastinator seriocomic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know exactly if that implementation will bork your indexation (my first read of it is that it will, you need to cater for non-JS browsers).

I'd suggest you take a look at this:
    http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...crawlable.html

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No, that code will not effect SEO. However, it will affect it

Note - "effect" as a verb means to cause something to happen. Your code will not cause SEO to happen - quite the opposite. Googlebot has very limited capacity to run Javascript, and may well ignore your links.

All pages on your site must be reachable by means of following <a href="..."> links. This is not just for search engines but also for the significant minority of people who browse without Javascript. Simply putting href="#" in the anchor is not sufficient. If you want to have Ajax-based navigation as your main method, that's fine, but there has to be a plain HTML alternative as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    No, that code will not effect SEO. However, it will affect it

Note - "effect" as a verb means to cause something to happen. Your code will not cause SEO to happen - quite the opposite. Googlebot has very limited capacity to run Javascript, and may well ignore your links.

All pages on your site must be reachable by means of following <a href="..."> links. This is not just for search engines but also for the significant minority of people who browse without Javascript. Simply putting href="#" in the anchor is not sufficient. If you want to have Ajax-based navigation as your main method, that's fine, but there has to be a plain HTML alternative as well.
    i use to thing it is programming forum not grammer's forum....lol

any way i have seen lots of ajax implementation infact are indexed by the SE ....so i think ajax itself is not evil....
    esp tabs...i have experienced their was no problem for any SE to index its contents...

only difference i can see in my pagination code and tabs code is if i do href='#' it actually moves screen to top....and adds # to url bar.....so t avoid that i eliminated the href part...now worried about seo...
    if it really does then i think it wont be good to implement ajax pagination that way....

can anybody suggest any ajax pagination tutorials,code etc which implements things in better way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank1 View Post
    can anybody suggest any ajax pagination tutorials,code etc which implements things in better way
    Let me Google that for you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seriocomic View Post
    lol ...we are in seo forum and being a coder from last 10 years...
    sometime it is easier to code ownself rather than googling ...downloading 10-15 scripts ...testing it....and making it good....(normally problems creeps out...)
    so rather than asking for where is it...
    i was asking for any "recommendation" from their experience i should use...
    for eg if somebody ask me which forum software...i may say "use vbulletin" though googling i may find thousand of forum softwares...

any way thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair point - we just get spammed to heck when people ask for recommendations on particular things without any filtering or narrowing down...