User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Popular Site: After Downtime, Google No Longer Crawling

Hi there,

I noticed that for one of my websites, traffic has been down ~20% from 50% down for search engine traffic from Google. I have Google webmaster tools all set up to analyze this, but don't understand why the traffic isn't picking up.

My website has been down for around two days (29th & 30th), and in Google webmaster tools, I see a bunch of errors (70,000+) when googlebot was trying to crawl my pages on those two days only.

Now it's been a week and the traffic is still not picking up. It looks like Google is no longer crawling my website (see below), do you have any theories why?

http://screensnapr.com/u/7ev85q.png

Thanks!
    Donny

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check that your website is back on line and try fixing as many of those errors as you can. When you have a period of downtime, or do something major like move your site to another server or another domain, google might get spooked and not crawl you for a while.

Fix as many link errors as you can and keep building backlinks so that when Googlebot returns your site is ready to rock again.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply Hyena.

It's just that my site is a forum with many pages and lots of sites linking in. I'm just curious why Google isn't finding my site for the past week, when it would usually crawl continuously non-stop.

Do you think waiting will fix this, or do you think something should be changed?

Appreciate the help .

Donny

PS, I do have vBSEO installed.

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would wait a bit longer - and in the meantime make sure that your site is permanently live. If Google keeps getting error messages when it tries sites/pages, it's going to lose interest. But equally, it knows that occasionally sites do go offline for short periods, so ratings and traffic should start to pick up again.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah alright. Thanks for the reply Stevie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    add revisit code to 1 days in meta tags and google will crawl again.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like my .htaccess was limiting access. All fixed now. Thanks everyone.