SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast stephenmilley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Best CMS for multiple blogs?

I have been considering Wordpress for blogging. However, I have heard b2evolution is good for mutiple blogs. Basically, I want to have a personal blog, business blog, and professional blog, as well as e-commerce capable, and social networking capable. I had a web host recommend Wordpress for all of these, but I didn't mention I want to have multiple blogs. Any suggestions? TIA.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you to make only one blog, the professional/business one and to have a label for the personal part. In this way people will see what you want to show, to inform and with the personal label they'll see that you're a human being, like everyone else. This will make them come back and read more, professionaly and personally speaking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for that suggestion. I don't want to make it confusing for the visitor to my blog site. I am curious. What did you mean by "a label for the personal part"? Do you imply for me to have a name for the personal blog? Also, are you suggesting I combine the business / professional blog into one? As far as the personal blog, how would I make the personal label stand out so that they know it is a person, not a medium business, or corporate entity? Thanks for your time and suggestions.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are lots to choose from but given that you want to do many things in addition to just blogging I think I would lean away from WordPress and towards some of the other CMS options.

Depending upon what you are comfortable with I like Drupal and Joomla very much for a PHP-based CMS and on the .NET side Umbraco or DotNetNuke are among the top options.

Hope that helps.
    Mark Brown
    Web Platform Team - Microsoft Corporation
    Web: microsoft.com/web
    Twitter: markjbrown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress 3 does allow multi-blogs. (For Wordpress 2, you can use WordPress MU.). Another old project with multiblogs is Lifetype (http://www.lifetype.net). It is even older than WordPress MU. But the development is too slow and it is not easy to manage.
    Funny pictures updated daily: funny picture blog
    Get answers on all free hosting related issues
    The best free anonymous web proxy list

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    using wordpress would be a good option...it offers good and easy navigation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I wouldn't need the MU version of WordPress if I want multiple blogs and not within the Wordpress 2.0 -2.9 range? However, I have read that you could have accounts that have blogs in your memberships, if you so desire. I think of that kind of akin to Myspace, or Twitter. I did notice Wordpress also seems faster compared to Joomla when I installed it. I don't know how they do it (I'm still in the learning phases of PHP, myself).
    I'm thinking of in the future creating a social networking aspect to my website for people to discuss about growth on the web. Don't worry, I'm not into bringing sites like these down. I want it to be an add-on to communities like these for what I do and have a passion for. For this, I would need at least three blog sections: one for personal, one for business, and one for professional blogging.
    Everyone who posts has been very helpful and of course I appreciate all these suggestions! I tend to plan how my website will be constructed and I think that's the best way to do it, without walking into deep sand in the future. For all I know, it may go in a different direction then I intended, which is the way most projects end up to be!