User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Help moving a MySQL database

I am planning to switch hosting companies and would like to know the best method of transferring my database files and associated data.

Thank you in advance.

Mark

SitePoint Evangelist compwizard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are using phpMyAdmin, you can do a complete structure and data dump for the database...if not, you could export the data to a comma delimted file and import it back into the database
    Compwizard
    "There are 10 kinds of people in this world -- those who know binary, and those who don't."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately the host uses MysqlTool and I don't see any structure or data dump options. But I'll look harder.

So to export/import a comma delimited file, are there any MySQL/PHP commands that I need to be aware of?

Also, I guess that I would have to build all the tables from scratch on the new server.

Thanks.

Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if not that farmiliar with mysql tool, but using there demo, i was able to find part or the solution....if you click on the database name on the left-pane, there is a link that says: Generate "Create Table" Script
    on the right hand side....click that....click select all tables....that will give you a structure dump, but not a data dump...im working on that though
    Compwizard
    "There are 10 kinds of people in this world -- those who know binary, and those who don't."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I saw the same function in my host's installation of the software. So I know I can generate the SQL to create the tables.

The home page for mySqlTool states on their wish list the need for data exporting and importing feature.

So, I need some help in exporting the data to a comma-delimited file and the subsequent importing to the new database. By the way, the new host does hve phpMyAdmin installed.

Thanks for all your help.

Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can't seem to find out how...sorry..maybe some one else who is more familiar with the program can help
    Compwizard