SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MS SQL Server 2000 books

We'll soon be getting access to SQL Server 2000 to drive some parts of our intranet. We'd like to get a tutorial-cum-reference book to help us get to grips with SQL Server, which appears to be a huge topic.

Our background is that we've previously been using a flatfile db, but I have also used MySQL and so I have an understanding of how to structure relational dbs, use SQL joins etc.

We're looking for a book which is fairly comprehensive - ie covers topics from setting up a db, cteating tables etc right through to what I would guess are more advanced topics such as using stored procedures, full text indexing and transactions. We're working with ASP 3.0.

Can anyone recommend a suitable title?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you spend money on a book, you might want to check out the SQL Server 2000 Books Online documentation from Microsoft. I haven't done THAT much work with SQL Server, but between the resource above and my handy Google search bar, I've been able to find anything I need.

Although maybe if you're a business you don't care that much about a $50 book. Just thought I'd give you a look at what's free.

Hope that helps,
    Goof
    Nathan Rutman
    A slightly offbeat creative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, this is for work and I work in a library, so books aren't a problem. ;-)

On-screen help is great for reference - and that link will be really useful, so thanks - but IMO it just can't match a book when you want to sit back, read and learn as much as you can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So print it out.

Just kidding, I understand.

Goof
    Nathan Rutman
    A slightly offbeat creative.

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get "Inside SQL Server 2000" (or maybe SQL Server 2000 Internals). A great look at the more esoteric and advanced features of SQL Server 2000. Although I haven't read it, I do have Inside SQL Server 7; I assume Inside 2000 was updated for SQL 2K.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the recommendation Matt. I'll take a look at it.