0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freelance employee database creation

PROJECT:
    Create freelance employee database

REQUIRMENTS:
    Accepts input from a web form
    Formats information into searchable tables/fields.
    Info is searchable by clients from another web form
    Results displayed as a web page.
    Clients would be able to choose and contact from a web page the right person for the specific job they have in mind.
    Database transportable to other applications like Microsoft Access, Filemaker Pro, etc etc

I need some advice/opinions on how to start this or
    How much this might cost were I to get someone to set it up for me while showing me how it is done? I can create the web forms but linking them to a database is beyond my understanding at the present time.

I have PHP & MySQL installed on my server already but I know nothing of their functions or capabilities. Would these be appropriate for my needs? Can a database created with MySQL be imported into MS Access or Filemaker? Where would I go to find someone who is willing to be patient with me and teach me what they are doing step by step while they are creating this setup for me so that I can do it myself the next time on my other web site.

Writer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) MySQL can be brought into Access (at least in theory - you might want to do a search on the forums for people asking about bringing MySQL into Access and post a reply asking them how successful they were).

2) Check your local phone book under Computer Services to find someone to sit down with you to help you create the database connectivity code (if there is even someone in your area). From what you're describing it's not going to be a 3 hour job.

Goof
    Nathan Rutman
    A slightly offbeat creative.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you in the South Florida area?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your responses. Sorry, but I live in Japan in the countryside so sitting down with someone would be nice but probably not possible. On further reflection I think my ideas need a lot of refining before I get someone to do it for me which is what I am going to do simply because it would take too long for me to learn it all myself and my time on this earth is limited. I was hoping to find an open source solution that I could modify for my specific purposes but so far I haven't come up with anything.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

further reflection

Thanks for your input. After doing a little more research and from the responses to my post I have decided that I need to have it all ready to go and everything exactly as I want it down on paper before I get someone to do this for me. I can do the front end (html pages etc) with no problem since I created the entire web site so far myself (with some help from ready made scripts etc.). I expect that once I get into it and these pages are done it will be much clearer to me and to others what it is that I want to do with them. My only concern is that there may be something I do in the creation of the web pages that might be incompatible with connecting and linking them to the database. My understanding of this part is patchy and full of holes but I will muddle through.

The strangest thing is that I have had people send me offers to do it and these offers range from $80 to $10,000. This is completely incomprehensible to me and makes me a little angry when I think they might be trying to take advantage of me and others but I will give those high bidders the benefit of the doubt and say that perhaps the scope of my project was not clear. I am working on making it very clear right now.

As for the Filemaker thing my only consideration was that I would want the database to be exportable in a common format that I can import into a database application like MS or Filemaker. Not sure if that is what I said before but that is what I think is best now and that seems to be not a concern with most I have talked to since MySQL can export in "csv" format which most databases can import. That is all I need.

I am working on the specifications of the project now and I will send them to you if you like. Probably have the rough draft tomorrow.

Again thanks for your suggestions and help