SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

web services - how relevant are they?

Maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places, but I find the lack of examples / tutorials and documentation about web services concerning.

I have only just started to look into web services but most of the articles I see are old. I have always been able to find anything php I need at the drop of a hat (or google) but web services info seems lacking.

I read lots of articles from 2002 / 2003 / 2004 singing the praises of Web services and hailing it as a very important advance in the web.

Could it be that it has just been absorbed into so many facets of the web that as a stand alone thing it is not relevant to talk about it?

This is in no way designed to poo poo web services, rather understand what is going on with it and find out if it really is the technology we should be employing for our current project.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could it be that it has just been absorbed into so many facets of the web that as a stand alone thing it is not relevant to talk about it?
    Bingo. Machines talking to machines using HTTP and [JSON|XML|whatever] isn't so amazing anymore . . .

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Booooooooo, thats just what I didnt want to hear.

Well looks liek we're stuck with this application which only offers web services as a means of data in and out, so I'll have to gleam what little there is off the web.

go on, let me in, whats hot in the web if this isnt?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It may not be interesting or new anymore but web services are very necessary considering all the mash-ups of different technologies these days. Web services have a huge presence on the web. Just look at all the viral marketing going on integrating with FaceBook, Twitter, etc. Interacting with others data would be very difficult to do without Web Services. They are very important part of the webs evolution and expansion.

This is in no way designed to poo poo web services, rather understand what is going on with it and find out if it really is the technology we should be employing for our current project.
    There is no other technology unless your going to be connecting to a third-parties database or code/source directly. If you need to figure out the real-time shipping cost or products being ordered or someones friends on Face Book there is no other way. In the end you need to ask that question to the person who knows and that person is the API provided by the source of the data to make the request and get the response.

However, I wouldn't get concerned with building your own API. The primary issue is learning how to consume/use others.

Once you use some you will see the true power of them. For instance, most people identify people by their IP. However, all an IP gives you is a number. Now, using some viral marketing techniques coupled with the Facebook API its possible to get someones true identity or tie it to the IP. Kinda scary if you think about it. Just think about all the possible marketing capabilities of that alone. Morally wrong or abuse of technology I'm sure its already being done.
    The only code I hate more than my own is everyone else's.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oddz View Post
    There is no other technology unless your going to be connecting to a third-parties database or code/source directly.
    This is exactly what I needed to know. As long as this is the right technology then I'm heading in the right direction already.

I just need to learn more about consuming these services.

Any good books / sites you can recommend?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the stats of people viewing each section of this forum shows a low number for web services, but maybe that isn't a true reflection of their importance....

I guess those who are consuming web services would usually be on a forum provided by the providers of those web services?

Facebook API users would be on the Facebook developers forum, not here.

Just a thought.