SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Special Charators

Hi Folks,

Is there a way to use them in strings?

Can I search for them and replace them with an ascii value or silimar somehow?

Thanks in advace

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What special characters? If you want to include a character that you cannot input directly from your keyboard, or cannot be represented using the character encoding you use, you can use escape notation.

Octal escape notation:
    Code:
    var copyright = "\251 2010";
    Unicode escape notation:
    Code:
    var copyright = "\u00a9 2010";
    Literal notation:
    Code:
    var copyright = "© 2010";
    For characters that are special to JavaScript, escape them with a preceding backslash:
    Code:
    var s1 = "My \"new\" car";
    var s2 = 'Jane\'s car';
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply.

Its from a user input field so I'm not sure where the special chars will be and what they are.

I query the database and create my html, could I use a regular expression or similar when doing this to convert all the special chars to javascript friendly text?

For example this code causes an error:

homepage[0] += "example - example"

Many thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattastic View Post
    Its from a user input field so I'm not sure where the special chars will be and what they are.
    I don't understand.
    If it's from an input field it's already a string!

I query the database and create my html, could I use a regular expression or similar when doing this to convert all the special chars to javascript friendly text?
    Do you mean the text comes from a database and you're creating JavaScript containing that text using server-side programming? In that case you need to escape special characters in the server-side script that generates the code. It's not a JavaScript problem.

For example this code causes an error:

homepage[0] += "example - example"
    Why should that cause an error (unless homepage[0] is undefined)?

When asking for help online it's always a good idea to be as explicit as possible about what you're trying to do, and why. Providing code examples of existing code also helps. I don't quite understand what you are trying to do, or how.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply.

The javascript thats causing an error is below.

Can you help?

Thankyou

Code:
    homepage[0] = "<h2 class='draggable'>Bring n buy</h2><div class='container'>"
    homepage[0] += '<ul>'
    homepage[0] += "<li><a href='index.cfm?area=marketplace/index&page=view-forum&forumid=267'>Kingsize bed frame</a></li>"

Error: unterminated string literal
    Source File: http://intranet/portal.cfm
    Line: 24, Column: 16
    Source Code:
     homepage[0] += "<li><a href='index.cfm?area=marketplace/index&page=view-forum&forumid=267'>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have this JavaScript code between <script> and </script> rather than in an external script file (<script src="..."></script>?

If so, the problem is most likely the closing tags you have in your strings.

In HTML (which includes pretend-XHTML) the script element type has a content model of CDATA, which behaves a bit oddly. One oddity is that the first occurrance of the character sequence '</' followed by a name-start character will be interpreted as </script> and thereby close the script tag.

To prevent this you need to escape that character sequence, which you can do by inserting a backslash character between the '<' and the '/'. That 'escapes' the '/' character.

Code JavaScript:
    homepage[0] += "<li><a href='index.cfm?area=marketplace/index&page=view-forum&forumid=267'>Kingsize bed frame<\/a><\/li>"

Without the backslash characters in the end tags, the script tag is closed after 'bed frame' which means the string constant isn't properly terminated.