SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using java applet good or bad?

Hello,
    Does java applet crash your site? Do you use it? Some java applets look so good for special effect...

Thanks,
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience they are always tacky, ugly and more often than not- completely unneccessary to achieve whatever effect they are being used for.
    However, those points alone are not enough for me to completely write-off sites that use them.

The fact that 9 times out of 10 Applets mess up my browser in some way *is* enough to make me look extremely unfavourably upon them and sites that use them.

IE Mac isn't the most stable of browsers to begin with.
    Applets seem to make it throw a major wobbly with a level of predictability the W3C standards committee would be proud of.

For me, visiting sites that use them simply isn't worth the risk of bringing down my browser.
    Whenever I encounter one, I quit that page at the first available* opportunity.
    (*closing a window while an applet is still loading is often all it takes to bring the browser down.)

That's just my conclusion based on my experience.
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have to agree that they aren't worth it. Many Windows browsers also have a bad time with them (including crashing the browser if you happen to close the window while an applet is loading.)

Add to that that Microsoft isn't bundling Java with it's XP... so less people will be able to see it. (we have to download it seperatley and last I'd heard it had been removed from Windows site.)

Some CSS/DHTML effects might be a better idea. You could also consider flash perhaps?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree too.
    They WERE good, when flash, dhtml and CSS were not as good, now days, I do not like them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree... Many are unstable, take to long to load, cause delays, etc. Bad news!
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, java applet can be slow and a system resource hog. Using it for effects is a waste of bandwidth and not worth risking the slowing down of your visitors' systems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Java applets for pretty visual effects should be avoided at all costs for the reasons outlines above. There are a still few good uses for them though, for example interactive educational demonstrations that could not be easily done with Flash and some online browser-based games. That said, I would recommend keeping such content on a seperate page and warning the user that the page they are about to click on uses Java, so they can avoid it if they don't like the overhead Java applets incur.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Aviod em. I block them all anyhow... hehe... so you wouldnt get far with anything done in a JAVA applet unless I know your programming!
    Memento Mori

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Down with Applets! Booo! Hisssss!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're just a tool among the many tools out there. They do have their place, however, they ain't the hog's clogs.

If you want them for just a neat effect, drop the effect entirely and start working on the page's actual content...

~~Ian

Currently Occupied; Till Sunda Andrew-J2000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some uses for java applets, none-of which come to mind atm. And considering that there is also the availability of active x. As mentioned above these shouldn't be really used for interactivity or displaying effects as microsoft front page does with it's buttons it offers users.

Java applets, have been used in the wrong circumstances which most of you have compained about. But i'm sure i will think of something when i start to wake up a bit more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all. I will use flash instead
    Somehow, people still make buttons or navigation bars, drop down menus using java applet, or making software on how to, but forget them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use flash for navigation make sure there is a way for those of us without flash installed to navigate your site.