SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's providing additional clicks between the user and the content, the extra click is to jump from the full experience to a reduced experience. While your expectations might see you wanting to see the reduced version by default, the problem with mobile sites are that often the manufacturers of the design provide a lesser experience (rather than a more optimized one) by removing certain features or by breaking trends the end-user expects. By offering that choice (in a way that is highly visible) you can eliminate the issue. An example I have seen is where if a mobile device is detected, a JavaScript alert prompt is issued (which displays on the mobile device as a popup message within the browser) in which you can say a mobile version is available and offer them the opportunity to pick the experience they prefer. Simply forcing them into an unknown environment is NOT the ideal solution, no matter how you try and sell it. This is one of those cases where I disagree with Nielsen (but agree with his principles), I would much prefer to give the end-user a choice than to assume their preference and force them to backtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco181 View Post
    I've been reading this thread with interest but I have to say I believe the problem is not as straightforward as these posts suggest. Surely it's necessary to take into consideration the content of the home / landing page (and other pages) when deciding on how to handle mobile visitors?
    I agree entirely, but as things currently stand, mobile experiences are in almost all cases seriously held back in their functionality (not through lack of browser support but through false assumption on behalf of the developer). I therefore maintain the need to have both sites readily available for the end user - even if the method of providing that access is from one site to another. Too many designers dumb down their work because they don't understand the visitor.

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There's quite a few sites I visit regularly take the 'automatic with optional full site approach' including this one.

The only issue I have with this scenario is when (in most cases) the link to the full experience is tiny and hidden away, if the site doesn't remember the choice if I select full site, and in many cases the decisions of what content to prune for the mobile experience prove too limiting forcing a switch to the full site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely think a server-side solution is the best approach but it's not always possible to apply so you could find helpful using a JS script. I wrote a script that redirects the user to the mobile version of the site, you can find the source here:

https://github.com/sebarmeli/JS-Redirection-Mobile-Site

and you can find more details in one of my articles:

http://blog.sebarmeli.com/2010/11/02...gh-javascript/