User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ipad magazine howto

Hi There

Is anyone doing ipad magazine development. E.g. like the likes of wired magazinne etc. I can find plenty of off-the-shelve apps like woodwing etc. But does anyone have example code on how things are done. Like to know especially how the self-contained magazine is done.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you please give more details. It is not clear what exactly are you trying to do..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

My idea is to do something similar to wired magazine etc. I have seen the third party applications they use, but is there any direct code example around that shows how it is done.

As a idea at the moment, the problem is third party apps like woodwing cost a few dollars to get past the trial period.

There must be people hand coding a magazine ipad based app.

Looking for example code.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you have any examples of what you're trying to achieve? I don't have an iPad so it's hard for me to know what you're attempting.

Are you looking for an App or a way of making a website (print layout) iPad friendly?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Below are some youtube examples of what the time group have done. I have not found any code examples on howto create a ipad magazine except commercial applications

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxXlqtg2rik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntyXv...next=1&index=3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To me that just looks like a normal HTML document that's been designed to give it a magazine look and feel, so I don't "get" what you're trying to attempt.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it seems its just a html 5 document, but how do you package it as a self contained app, that can work on the ipad, and some off the funky other features.

Those are the examples I am trying to find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well if you wanted to make an iPad app you would need to use a Mac and pay for the developers API (to build it: self-contained), then submit it to Apple for entry.

Otherwise your best bet is to simply create that style of website and just offer it as a web application (so it'll act as the simple website it appears to be).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alex

I am a apple developer, or registered as one, but, wanted to know if other people was doing similar things, as a self contained app.

As a website app, it is easy to do, but then, you need to be connected to the net to get the information.

Looking as a self contained app, that does not need constant net access.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to develop native apps for the iPad you will need some deep knowledge in objective C and Cocoa touch...
    On the iPhoneDevSDK forum you will find a lot of helpful tuts and coding examples...here is also a nice guide with some useful tips on ipad app development