User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to host Blog?

Hi guys,
    Im about to start a blog for a business. Ive decieded to use Blogger. In regards to SEO, is it best to have the blog on the domain, or on Bloggers servers? In other words, which of the following is best for SEO?:

http://myblog.mydomain.com
    http://www.mydomain.com/myblog
    http://mydomain.blogspot.com

Im planning on writing industry-specific articles with backlinks to the relevant pages on our website.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of SEO, the last I heard there's no difference between:

http://myblog.mydomain.com
    http://www.mydomain.com/myblog

blogger is different though.

However, I think you got the main purpose of the blog wrong, you should focus on the value the blog might bring to the business and more importantly to its customers, not whether it helps in ranking the site better in Google.

If the blog won't be of any value to its customers, then don't put it on the main domain. A blog can be a powerful branding tool, but this diminishes significantly if it's not on your own domain and even more if the design doesn't match (or at least reflects closely) the business website and overall branding.

In short, any SEO activity should be part of an overall, holistic and integrated marketing strategy, and not a stand-alone tactic.

There's much more to it, but I don't have the time to go into it right now.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't advise you using blogger. In blogspot, you don't own your data. I had an experience where one of my popular blospot sites was deleted for no reason at all. I don't know. Maybe it was an accident. If you're looking for a long-term plan and investment, choose wordpress. You must own and control your own data.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah when you use blogspot you always risk your blog because that can be deleted any moment. Still you really want to use them then make sure you take backups regularly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluearrow View Post
    Yeah when you use blogspot you always risk your blog because that can be deleted any moment. Still you really want to use them then make sure you take backups regularly.
    I don't agree. On the contrary, wordpress banned all my accounts while blogspot has never deleted my blog accounts. And blogger blogs can bear substantial traffic.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with c2uk, you can use the first 2 versions of the problem...but with the 3rd i’m not so sure. Blogger as well as other free services can whipe out your blog when your blog is at its best and it doesn’t worth the effort...on another hand, if you want to make a 2 pages blog it doesn’t really matter where you host it...but if you want to invest in that blog more...and update it with content...it does not worth using free services...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is always better to have his blog hosted on his own server because it will be your blog, with Blogger they can delete your blog anytime. And also Blogger is not very powerful...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why are you using blogspot anyway? for backlinks? I think if you really want to blog for profit. you should have your own domain. You can use wordpress for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try buying a domain and the setup it using Weebly, this super user friendly and also SEO friendly too. This is what I did in my new site.

<snip>
    Last edited by Black Max; Jul 17, 2010 at 15:21. Reason: fake sig removed

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for much better navigation, i suggest you try using wordpress..it has lots of plug-ins you can use..

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blogspot of course. it is more reliable and user friendly.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaeldl View Post
    I don't advise you using blogger. In blogspot, you don't own your data. I had an experience where one of my popular blospot sites was deleted for no reason at all. I don't know. Maybe it was an accident. If you're looking for a long-term plan and investment, choose wordpress. You must own and control your own data.
    I agree with you totally. This happened to me last time

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by resume View Post
    blogspot is better than the other blogs.. i always consider to post in blogspots

<snip>
    Its true that they are better. I dont know but it easier to rank using blogspot blog. However you do not have total control over your content and risking your blog getting blocked by Blogger.com for certain or no reason.