SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Client-side Access help!

I don' think this is going to be possible, but here we go...

I'm going to have to develop a system where a group of people have to add data to a database across a network, and also have access to the dat already there...with access.

Is this possible with the forms and stuff in access, say using link tables from a child access database to a parent access database on the contral computer... or am I going to have to develop some software to do it, and/or move it to SQL Server (maybe MySQL, company wants it done C.H.E.A.P)?

Does that make sense? Do I sound like an idiot?

[dodgy]

Oh, and it will have to tie in with a database online that takes info from the site... (also access right now)

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, you can use the forms and links in access to bring in other sources. As long as it's connectable directly, you should be fine (ie, the "online" d-base needs to be mapable instead of trying to do a web connection)
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahh yes... access

there's thread in the computer help desk about this kinda thing...

Right, now, as long as long as the users have Local access to the database over a network and can get access to the database directly through the server (ie the server has to be on the same LAN or WAN or however you connect to it)...

What you would have to do is write a small program in visual basic using the data access controls, and a bit of 'sessio type' work to prevent two people from changing the same record at the same time (so you'd have to lock a record once it's open)

and then as long as each computer wanting to access the database has the VB program on it, it would all work out

Not the easiest of jobs, and you'll want to be making lots of backups

So i'm not sure if the crappy versions of VB have all the neccesarry bits and pieces to do it, but I know the enterprise edition v. 6 does

Don't think there is anyother way to do it, but of course I might be wrong

couldn't you just set up IIS on a machine with a couple of ASP pages though?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this would work:

User opens database on their machine
    That access gets lastest info from the master database across network
    If user edits/deletes data, it will be updated on the master
    If user adds new data, it will be added in the master database

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by platinum
    couldn't you just set up IIS on a machine with a couple of ASP pages though?
    I wanted to do it with ASP.NET, but the don't want it web based in anyway (except for the form and database online)

If I was going to write an application, I'ld be using .NET (VB.NET)...

BTW, post above we before I seen plats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if that'd work with daves method very well, but i'm not sure, he is a database expert after all, but the way i've seen it done is with VB and access working together...

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm kinda confused. I thought you'd want them to be able to pick and choose what they want to update but it seems like you just want them to be able to add/delete with a copy of the live data.

You can do it in vb.net (assuming so since you'd be able to do it in VB), but why not just let them do the work directly on the network database (and actually use a web app so you have one place for access....)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe this will clear it up a little...

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So they want multiple copies(one for the online data, one for the "main" data, and a copy for each of the people trying to maintain it) of the same information? The chances of overlaying the same information is HUGE or having one person delete a record and another change it.

You should still be able to do it through vb.net, but the maintenance aspects that are going to need accomplished is incredible. Say for example(assuming this is an order type of site):

User A & B start up their maintenance application at the same time. User C accesses the web application at the same time.

Say User A decides to add a record. Your application will then need to check the main database and make sure the same record is not there, then push the record out to the main database. Meanwhile, the database copies that B and C are accessing against are no longer valid. Suppose User C is looking for the record that was just added by A. C will not see it.

Or worse yet, say A decides to delete a record, but C is trying to order from that same record. If C gets there first and orders based on that record, then A marks that record for deletion, then C's order will probably be deleted without his knowledge (unless you build a ton of checks in place...).

The problem with having multiple copies of the same database is that as soon as someone makes a change to one, then all other copies are out of date. You would have to devise a method of letting all the others know that their version is out of date and requiring a refresh of their data.

If they are worried about access connectivity, this wouldn't be a problem unless they have a TON of people accessing the data at EXACTLY the same time. If stored queries are utilized, then the access load is reduced significantly and the chances of hitting concurrency problems is reduced even further.

I guess I don't see the usefulness of having multiple copies of the same database. Asking for trouble, in my opinion. At the very least, a maintenance nightmare for you to try and develop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess they don't have to have a copy of the database, just the data in it...

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dhtmlgod
    Guess they don't have to have a copy of the database, just the data in it...
    That makes a little more sense. Still seems like an extra layer to have an access database that does links to another access database but it should work fine for what you want to do...