SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Linking to an external file

I would like to link my HTML document to external files of Microsoft Office like Excell and alike...

But I DON'T want them to be displayed in Internet Explorer or any other display agent.

I want them to be opened in that program (like Excell).

If I put an A tag and href attribute, the linked file opens in IE.

So what should I do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two options. Number 1, tell you visitors to right click and hit "save as". Number 2, experiment with sending different Content-Type headers - there will certianly be one you can send that will force the file to download and there's an outside chance there's one that will cause the file to load in the real applicaiton rather than embedding it in IE (I wouldn't hold your breath on that one though).

If you don't know what content-type headers are or how they work, have a bit of a Google (they're an essential part of HTTP). Apache can control them with .htaccess or httpd.conf directives, IIS probably does something daft involving a GUI.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's like this:
    These Office files are on the local intranet and other people access them through one HTML document, so that they all have the links in one place rather than having to find them on different sub-sub-sub... root folders.

So it's like opening your file on YOUR OWN disk (not on the server, but I guess that doesn't matter) with explorer, the only difference is that the file is opened through an HTML file.

And I still didn't manage to make this work