SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Books dont work like that, lol
    But, sometimes tutorials are like that. They are shorter in publishing cycles and often can be really specific.

travel stuff is certainly popular... I wouldn't be surprised to see something sorta like what Guitar mentioned in a tutorial somewhere.

Well, a database-driven back-end with multiple clients with multiple access points of their own and individual permissions on their own data and then clients on top of that... actually sounds worthy of a book. Travel/hotels is rather specific, but the whole permissions/backend thing... yes, after re-reading Guitar's post, it could well be a book... but likely an advanced book for someone already comfortable with basis of PHP/MySQL and servers/sysdaminning.

Ideally, it wouldn't matter what the objects are: the same base skills would be the same whether it was hotels or llama breeders/buyers.

Hmm, llamas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    ... or llama breeders/buyers.

Hmm, llamas
    I would certainly think about picking up such an advanced book if it covered the general concepts that could be applied to another project. But, yeah, I have no need for a hotel or llama site specifically. Now, llama hotels, that's a different story. That market is wide open.

Or, how about just a Lorenzo Lamas biography?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    lightworks, I'm unfamiliar with the guy, but if this forum had a voting system I would create several accounts just to give you upvotes, lawlz.

Not only that, I could almost guarantee SitePoint would sell more books sitting in a bookstore with that on the cover.

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, a database-driven back-end with multiple clients with multiple access points of their own and individual permissions on their own data and then clients on top of that... actually sounds worthy of a book. Travel/hotels is rather specific, but the whole permissions/backend thing... yes, after re-reading Guitar's post, it could well be a book... but likely an advanced book for someone already comfortable with basis of PHP/MySQL and servers/sysdaminning.
    The permissions, user groups, group privileges etc could be done as an extension/follow on to Kevin's book. If I remember correctly in Kevin's book there are just two types of user, but for a bigger site each user group might well be a different department in a company.
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I like the topic related to the IT or computer Software.

Thanks
    Morris Robin

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightworks View Post
    I would certainly think about picking up such an advanced book if it covered the general concepts that could be applied to another project. But, yeah, I have no need for a hotel or llama site specifically. Now, llama hotels, that's a different story. That market is wide open.

Or, how about just a Lorenzo Lamas biography?

Been ages since I've seen anything related to Lorenzo Lamas!

Back on topic, I think that I would like to see an extension of Kevin's PHP book... something covering OOP PHP and maybe a bit about Zend.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But, sometimes tutorials are like that. They are shorter in publishing cycles and often can be really specific.

travel stuff is certainly popular... I wouldn't be surprised to see something sorta like what Guitar mentioned in a tutorial somewhere.

Ideally, it wouldn't matter what the objects are: the same base skills would be the same whether it was hotels or llama breeders/buyers.

Hmm, llamas
    I agree, a tutorial or a combination of them could provide quite a bit of guidance regarding that request, i guess up to a certain point.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Single Page, Javascript RIA development with PHP/MySQL. And not just the easy stuff, anyone can make it reload the whole page with AJAX, I want to see how you tackle loading/caching repeated templates and data loading.

e39m5

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ^hell, accessible AJAX and media alone could be its own ginormous book.

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SitePoint published a book on AJAX a few years ago, they only have it in ebook (pdf) form but if you check round a few online shops and auctions you may well find a print copy of the book.
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w1nk5 View Post
    How about a book that outlines real-world web projects completed by Sitepoint staff. Explaining how each writer tackles their project. Where do they start? What are the steps they follow? What are their thought processes? You know, providing as much detail as possible.
    I really like this idea also.

Other subjects I'd like to see also are HTML5 and CSS3, and one on SEO and optimizing websites.
    Carolyn (cape's cafe)
    Twitter | My Treehouse Profile | eBookFling

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any new book should have a video in my opinion. Jefferey Way wrote new book "From Photoshop to HTML" that include video and since I'm a beginner it help me more then just printed one. Also Magento is walking big steps to become one of the best e-commerce app. but there is no good book on the market, maybe book about Magento?

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something more on the business and legal aspects of web and programming.

Advisable practices, example agreements, promoting yourself effectively, being a professional.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to see a beginner's book on planning and organizing a website project through publishing and managing the site. Perhaps with only a brief section on html/css & web graphics with references where to learn more & what to avoid. There are a lot of design and html/css books out there already.

• information architecture
    • absolute vs relative vs root relative references
    • folder structure
    • developing naming conventions
    • developing style guides for both writing content and writing html/css
    • planning for growth
    • archiving content
    • incorporating a cms

Managing the site:
    Definitely a section on publishing on a shared server, which I believe is where most people start.
    • What different control panels you may encounter with different hosts.
    • How to avoid getting your site closed down because you did something stupid to make it vulnerable.
    • The best way to write a help ticket to get you a relevant answer.
    • .htaccess
    • mail
    • 404 pages
    • password protection
    • add-on domain, subdomains, domain forwarding
    • indexing

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a good feature full book on extending WordPress for use as a CMS & eCommerce site for a number of different industries

<snip/>
    Last edited by ScallioXTX; Jul 6, 2010 at 10:05. Reason: removed fake signature - wait a total of 90 days to expire to avail of a signature

SitePoint Guru Chroniclemaster1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^hell, accessible AJAX and media alone could be its own ginormous book.
    Quote Originally Posted by e39m5 View Post
    Single Page, Javascript RIA development with PHP/MySQL. And not just the easy stuff, anyone can make it reload the whole page with AJAX, I want to see how you tackle loading/caching repeated templates and data loading.

e39m5
    I like the JS, RIA, accessibility, good parts angle. Something like a sequel to the new jQuery book which was excellent.

Though the concept of the single page site does really bug me. For a simple application, OK, sure a single page may be all you need. But when you start seeing apps with custom bookmarking you know the developers have lost touch with good application design. If you simply make those bookmarks, links to new pages, whether static or dynamic, you'll have a much more sensible, user-friendly app.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of Earth Chronicle
    A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.

SitePoint Enthusiast mrwordsworth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about Wtiting a book on comlete guide from a biginner not only can make his website easily but also promote it on internet very well...........

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwordsworth View Post
    How about Wtiting a book on comlete guide from a biginner not only can make his website easily but also promote it on internet very well...........
    That would need to be a number of books, its impossible to wrap up a whole range of subjects into one book and make it "easy" and if everything was easy then there would be no reason for the books.