SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w1nk5 View Post
    How about a book that outlines real-world web projects completed by Sitepoint staff. Explaining how each writer tackles their project. Where do they start? What are the steps they follow? What are their thought processes? You know, providing as much detail as possible.

I think a book like this would be worth it's weight in gold.

Cheers
    This is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by aryandelhi View Post
    The most important book, SitePoint is missing:-

Dedicate/VPS Server Management - several developers use VPS/dedicated servers, but need to to learn how to use them perfectly.
    This is a great idea too. Maybe something aimed at designers, site owners, and less experienced developers? In other words, it could be a sort of intermediate book aimed at people that have used/are using production servers at the moment but aren't quite up to the task of self-managing a dedi or or vps. Maybe how to set up, harden and maintain a dedi and a couple of the more popular VPS virtualization options?

And, here's one that it seems that nobody has done or at least not very well....a vBulletin book. I'd specifically like to see one on modding/extending vB. Something that goes into the guts of it would be cool, rather than just how to set it up and use it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flash. I like the way Sitepoint books are laid out and organized, and I would LOVE to have a comprehensive book on working with Flash - not just AS or f-b-f animation, but Flash interacting and working within a website as a whole.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CSS 3, HTML 5, WordPress plugin and theme development, the in's and out's of using different JavaScript libraries, maybe more when I think of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SEO - new techniques, building backup seo sites, choosing keywords, google vs. bing etc.
    Warsaw - the city that survived its own death.
    EMM8 - Profesjonalne Strony Internetowe
    Projektowanie Stron WWW

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Something that hadn't already been done would be a good plan, many of the books released recently are just re-treading over existing ground.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by w1nk5

How about a book that outlines real-world web projects completed by Sitepoint staff. Explaining how each writer tackles their project. Where do they start? What are the steps they follow? What are their thought processes? You know, providing as much detail as possible.
    Maybe you can also have a book for beginners with the first few chapters devoted to some really simple real world web projects just using simple html and css, then a few chapters using html, css, php, mysql, simple javascript etc and finally some big real world world web projects as mentioned by w1nk5
    My site|My blog
    The real failure is not the one who doesn't get his goals but
    the one who gives up.

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w1nk5 View Post

Cheers

Sounds like a great idea. Rather than telling people what to do, they're just giving people examples of what THEY do, giving the reader choice and improving their understanding of projects.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

SitePoint Guru Chroniclemaster1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    How about "Essential Technique in using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript"? I'm not talking about "learning" HTML, CSS, or JavaScript. I'm talking about "Do's and Dont's" that provides good examples. I can certainly gurrantee being #1 hit. Please make sure you give 1% loyalty fee to my account. Thank you.
    Already been done, though it's too broad a topic to cover in one book. You just described the combination of Ian Lloyd's, Build Your Own Web Site The Right Way Using HTML & CSS, 2nd Edition, and Kevin Yank's Simply Javascript.

Quote Originally Posted by jppp View Post
    Maybe you can also have a book for beginners with the first few chapters devoted to some really simple real world web projects just using simple html and css, then a few chapters using html, css, php, mysql, simple javascript etc and finally some big real world world web projects as mentioned by w1nk5
    I think that's way too much to cover in one book, and the results would be pretty disappointing. What you're talking about is taking the sample chapters from some of their HTML / CSS books, some sample chapters from their PHP / SQL / Javascript books and then trying to write a massive book after that. I think the final step is where the real interest would be.

One of really BIG reasons I love Principles of Beautiful Web Design so much is that it exposes you to enough theory that you understand WHY you are doing what you're doing, but otherwise it stays really grounded in the PROCESS of what it does. Beaird takes you step by step through Web Design, first do this and here are some of the different choices you can make (and why you'd choose one vs. the others), next you do this and here are some of the different choices you can make, etc. Books that follow that general model are much more useful because there are really no publishers except Sitepoint that stress not just learning technology, but teaching you the ins and outs of making it work for you.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of Earth Chronicle
    A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huit
    Flash. I like the way Sitepoint books are laid out and organized, and I would LOVE to have a comprehensive book on working with Flash - not just AS or f-b-f animation, but Flash interacting and working within a website as a whole.
    Hm, yes. Last flash book I had was a Sams Learn Flash in 24 Seconds or whatever. A "Simply Javascript" of Flash/AS3 by SitePoint would be very cool.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One that takes away that "where do i start" and teaches how to approach what you as the reader wants to do with PHP and MySQL for example and not what the authors thinks will be enough to sell another book.

I keep finding books and each ones claims to be a bit better and that it teaches how to build a login and a form blah blah blah and i reach the end of the book and im none the wiser.

I know exactly what i want to build, i mean literally exactly, but to get my head around putting the database together, yes there are books dedicated to MySQL, but ever tried reading a book on MySQL and one on PHP as separate books but needing them at the same time? Reading info on the forums too and trying to retain all of that? Im new to learning PHP and MySQL, it amazes me the amount of books that repeat what is mentioned in the manuals.

So many books listing the individiual parts of the language that still makes it no easier to actually build something.

You will tell me of the books that cover PHP and MySQL together of course, the ones that tell me how it all started, ive read now probably half dozen books that waste pages saying this is how it all started.

Provide a book that doesn't frustrate readers, im frustrated and not through lack of trying to understand, dont put filler in it, dont give me a history of the internet or who were the mates of the creator of PHP or get snobby about certain things or biased towards something.

I and many others want books that dont try and confuse the reader further.

Its no good myself just saying gimme a book of PHP or jQuery or whatever.

Ever read the frustration on amazon? The reviews and how annoyed people are at forking out more money for junk that leaves then no more informed.

So my own request: PHP and MySQL that does what all other previous books fail to do so far.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Starbar: what you want is called a cookbook (O'Reilly publishes lots of those, with "cookbook" in the title). How do I do "x"? SitePoint's Javascript Anthology is mostly a cookbook.

I see people getting into front end development who are too new and know exactly what they want to build. This gets in the way of their learning, unfortunately. If you want to learn to write a French novel, you HAVE to spend lots of time learning how to say "the cheese is old and moldy" and "where is the bathroom" in French, and the annoying differences between adding 6 silent letters to the end of a word and adding 10. Bleh. While you learn through doing projects, you must be able to set aside what you want to do in order to focus on the exercises in your [thing you want to learn] in order to learn enough to eventually do what you want.

And nobody's said if this is going to be a cookbook, or a Get Started With... or a Learn the Basics of... newbie book, or what. Who is the audience of this book??

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Starbar: what you want is called a cookbook (O'Reilly publishes lots of those, with "cookbook" in the title). How do I do "x"? SitePoint's Javascript Anthology is mostly a cookbook.

I see people getting into front end development who are too new and know exactly what they want to build. This gets in the way of their learning, unfortunately. If you want to learn to write a French novel, you HAVE to spend lots of time learning how to say "the cheese is old and moldy" and "where is the bathroom" in French, and the annoying differences between adding 6 silent letters to the end of a word and adding 10. Bleh. While you learn through doing projects, you must be able to set aside what you want to do in order to focus on the exercises in your [thing you want to learn] in order to learn enough to eventually do what you want.

And nobody's said if this is going to be a cookbook, or a Get Started With... or a Learn the Basics of... newbie book, or what. Who is the audience of this book??
    Hi Stomme poes, while recently going through book reviews i noticed how there are those cookbooks, i can see the benefit of that and will look more closely at a few of those.

Realistically i know that there are not going to be books that magically instruct from start to finish exactly what someone has in mind and that the freedom of being able to use PHP and MySQL to build means that i need to be prepared to work it out for myself.

I agree with you and i would say that yes i am focusing so much on how i want to build my idea that im neglecting the fact that i will (whether i like it or not) have to go through a whole load of trying this n that until it sinks in then enabling me to make a start on my ideas.

There seems to be lots of beginner books, some expert (i want to feel elite) types of books but i feel theres a massive gap in between that.

I would love for more books to leave out explaining what 20 other books have explained already.

@Stomme poes, i guess im just going through the typical beginner feeling of PHP and MySQL of i want to build things now, i realise it will take time to learn and waiting for those "ah i got it" moments in the future.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @starbar I'm going through the same thing with Javascript and Perl right now : )

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    @starbar I'm going through the same thing with Javascript and Perl right now : )
    I dont feel alone then

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    Hey everyone,
    We're currently brainstorming topics for future SitePoint books and we'd be keen to hear your ideas.

What subjects would you be interested in reading a SitePoint book about?

How about a tutorial type book on how to edit images and add text to images to use for ebook covers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flash. Basics that will build a foundation for doing practical stuff (with some examples, hopefully - like what is littered throughout Sexy Web Design). Including how to embed (chill people, I'm talking about the actual verb, not the tag) flash into pages the valid way.

Oh, and maybe in a manner that understands that people who are learning flash already have basic programming knowledge (like... I don't need someone to explain to me what an if statement is...).

I feel that flash is something that every web dev should know (even if it's just for some "basic" things) -- personally I know zero and that's because it's a nightmare to try to learn. I've never used an editing program that frustrating in my life x.x

Haha, I was actually just coming on here just now to ask for flash book suggestions when I saw this thread.
    Last edited by ShinoKage; Jun 27, 2010 at 19:23. Reason: Adding a thought.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Including how to embed (chill people, I'm talking about the actual verb, not the tag) flash into pages the valid way.
    Lawlz.

Any book about Flash will have to assume the user doesn't know programming... front-enders knowing only HTML/CSS often go into Flash... AS3 might be their first programming language.

SitePoint Enthusiast MJ Pieterse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmm... maybe designing sites for mobile and seo

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snecz View Post
    SEO - new techniques, building backup seo sites, choosing keywords, google vs. bing etc.
    3rd edition of the SEM Kit, coming this Fall to a sitepoint.com near you.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A tutorial book on complete multi hotels booking system in Php n Mysql which can have a separate rights for Travel agencies after their registration. Customers can have their booking cart and could modify or cancell their reservation.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarMantra View Post
    A tutorial book on complete multi hotels booking system in Php n Mysql which can have a separate rights for Travel agencies after their registration. Customers can have their booking cart and could modify or cancell their reservation.
    Let me guess, you're planning to make a booking website for multiple hotels, and you want them to write that book/website for you?

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
    Let me guess, you're planning to make a booking website for multiple hotels, and you want them to write that book/website for you?
    My thoughts precisly!

@GuitarMantra: Sorry but we're not here to do your homework or your job. We will help you to try to figure out where the problem lies but building your business is up to you Nice try though

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    My thoughts precisly!

@GuitarMantra: Sorry but we're not here to do your homework or your job. We will help you to try to figure out where the problem lies but building your business is up to you Nice try though
    but not exactly. I just want a book that gives a clear idea on these topic i have mentioned.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did actually love a book on visual design and user experience. presenting data in, meaningful ways, engaging users, keeping things clean and simple, Iterative design, mocks, prototypes, longitudinal study, The discoverability / efficiency trade-off...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarMantra View Post
    but not exactly. I just want a book that gives a clear idea on these topic i have mentioned.
    Its not a realistic request, i thought that my own request was specific, demanding and showing a hint of feeling sorry for myself, but what you are requesting is not going to appear in a book.

Books dont work like that, lol

What you have asked for needs to be read by someone who can code that for you, its a project basically, you need someone to build that for you.

Or do as i intend, slow down, learn both PHP and MySQL and accept that it will be a while before you're able to build it yourself.